• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this true - heating

I delivered a paper to my favorite garden store and they asked my about how my peppers were doing. In talking, Don said one should never keep seedlings that have sprouted in a "hot box" unless it is allowed to cool down during the night. He said it makes the plants leggy, which mine are, even though I have them bathed in light. He said that once they sprout (and I presume grow a tad) they need to have cooling off periods.

It's hard for me to say he doesn't know what he is talking about, as he grows about 1,500 plants a year. The ones I got from him last year (three habs, three jalapeanos and two Hungarian Hot Wax) were very healthy, transplanted easily and were productive.

What's your experience?

Mike

Well a lot of sources do say that day temp and night temp should be different. night temp cooler (obviously).
But I guess if the general weather is too cold, heating is necessary.
Take my younger nagas for example.
They're in a heated and closed place, and they're not leggy.
Actually they're really short with thick stems and big leaves.
I think it has more to do with light.

I also believe that a little cooler at night can make stronger plants. After germination I never use any extra heat. Plants in my greenhouse(spring) will get as cold as 10 C at night and they really seem to like it.

I think he was referring to the photoperiod?? I have my timer for ~ 16 hrs of light. They are still heated becuase 1. the location, in my basement w/o heat and 2. they are also with other seeds that havent germinated yet. 3. I havent decided how I want to continue growing I am looking into hydro/aero/floating setups that I may use

LuckyDog,

I was talking about the heat, not lights. they stay on close to 16 hours a day. They are not super close to the plants, but within six inches. With 4, 4-foot, 40-watt fluorescents to light a 28x40" space, I would presume they are getting enough.

Mike

They are closer now. I have to keep the seedlings that far away but once they get about 1.5 inches tall, I fill the cup up with potting soil which leaves them about a 1/4 inch of stem, then I can put them within an inch tor so of the lights.

Mike

Back