• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Is "Valgin" a thing?

Hey folks,
does anybody out there recognise this plant? The woman I bought it from had written "Valgin" on the pot - well her penmanship wasn't the best, but that was my closest guess - but I can't find mention of it anywhere online.
The fruits have been hanging for about 10 days now and haven't changed in appearance, but I obviously have no idea what they look like when ripe. If more pics of parts of the plant from different angles would help, I can upload them when I get home from work.
I am well happy with the plant, but knowing what I actually have growing here would make me even happier .🤨
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Fin.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 11.50.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 11.50.04.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 159
Solution
Just in case anyone's interested, I reckon my wife has managed to find the plant :dance:. Looks like it's a Brazilian Chinense called the Coyote Zan white pepper. The photos and plant description match pretty much spot on, and what the girls in the video describe is pretty much what happened when I scoffed one about half an hour ago. Should the link not be allowed for commercial reasons or whatever, I'm sure one of the mods will do me the favour of deleting it ;).

Incidentally, it would appear that "Valgin" is a Finnish word meaning "the whitest", although I really can't imagine a chili plant being given a Finnish moniker. I could, however, end up being proven wrong... once again :doh:.
Just in case anyone's interested, I reckon my wife has managed to find the plant :dance:. Looks like it's a Brazilian Chinense called the Coyote Zan white pepper. The photos and plant description match pretty much spot on, and what the girls in the video describe is pretty much what happened when I scoffed one about half an hour ago. Should the link not be allowed for commercial reasons or whatever, I'm sure one of the mods will do me the favour of deleting it ;).

Incidentally, it would appear that "Valgin" is a Finnish word meaning "the whitest", although I really can't imagine a chili plant being given a Finnish moniker. I could, however, end up being proven wrong... once again :doh:.

Last edited:
Solution
Well whaddaya know? After nearly 2 months on the plant, instead of going from a creamy colour to bright white (as a Coyote Zan should) they are starting to turn orange. I have no idea yet whether they will stay like this, or maybe darken to red, but I'll no doubt be posting yet another picture within the next couple of weeks. Meantime, if one of the mods would be so kind as to remove the "solution" flag from the post, it would be greatly appreciated, as I am even more clueless than I was 3 weeks ago :D.
Just in case anyone has an idea what they MIGHT be, the peppers are about 2" long.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-06 at 18.18.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-06 at 18.18.31.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 60
They look like

Cascabella Pepper​

Some of my favs, I Grow tons of them every year.

You know, jgundo, I think you're right on the money here, but I suppose I'll know for sure if and when they turn red ;). I have eaten a few at the cream coloured stage because I actually thought they were fully ripe, and I found them really tasty. Now I'm reading that, although they are fully ripe when red, they are usually consumed at the "white" stage. I reckon you've probably tried them at various stages of ripeness. If so, does the flavour change much as they ripen? How do you tend to eat them?

Hello, yes I have eaten them at all stages, I like them best just as they start to turn. I pickle them in a sweet brine with cherry bombs. One of my favorite peppers. I grow them every year.
20230910_142316.jpg

Hello, yes I have eaten them at all stages, I like them best just as they start to turn. I pickle them in a sweet brine with cherry bombs. One of my favorite peppers. I grow them every year.
20230910_142316.jpg
I guess this pic pretty much screams "Cascabella" then. The three in the foreground are the ones whose flowers I isolated to make sure I have "pure" seeds for next year. Do you reckon I could already harvest the seeds from the fully red ones, or is it better to wait until they are almost falling off the plant? I have never planted anything from my own seeds yet, and would like them to be as viable as possible ;).

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-12 at 17.04.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-12 at 17.04.33.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 56
@ jgundo - or anyone else who has harvested ripe Cascabella peppers.

Just before we finally put this ID attempt to bed, is this what they look like when you open them up? There must be somewhere around 100 seeds in this single pepper, all packed tightly around the placenta.

Attachments

• WhatsApp_Image_2023-09-20_at_19.35.14[1].jpeg
    WhatsApp_Image_2023-09-20_at_19.35.14[1].jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 50
Back