• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Isolating Peppers for Seed Saving

There are lots of different methods for seed isolating, and I'm not arguing that my method is better than others. But this has worked well for me. I made a video showing how I do it. I use barrier isolation with mesh fabric. I'm using paint strainers this year, but tulle fabric, mosquito netting, or other fabric mesh types work well also. I tag my pods using pieces of drinking straws. I got that tip from reading another post on here. I think it was justaguy?, not sure the Knepperspeppers guy.

https://youtu.be/a6joXGoLgUs

Very nice video, will definitely try this next season . Would the cloth also shade the plant like shadecloth does? And if so how much would it affect the growth/production of the plant/branch? 

I've been using and advocating the paint strainer bags for years. They work great.

You can use smaller bags but I find that there is a lot more blossom drop from less air circulation and constriction of growth of the branches,  leaves and blossoms.

I'll continue to use the paint strainer bags myself.

moruga welder said:
another great vid. my friend !    just need to volume up a little more , my old deaf ears aint what they use to be ! lol     :onfire:
Thanks. I've been trying different things to try to improve it. I think voice coaching would probably help a lot, can't seem to stop mumbling. :)
mpicante said:
Great video the best ive seen on isolating plants should help alot of people out.I just the whole plant.
Thanks! Yeah, whole plant would be ideal, as you'd have lots of choices on pod selection. I'm planning to try some of that next year.
Neel said:
Very nice video, will definitely try this next season . Would the cloth also shade the plant like shadecloth does? And if so how much would it affect the growth/production of the plant/branch? 
I imagine it probably does provide some shade for the covered leaves. I haven't noticed any impact on growth/production for the branches that were covered.
ajdrew said:
I'd never thought about paint strainers.  Thank you.
Thanks. I got the idea from Tony Sherwood on facebook.
neoguy said:
I've been using and advocating the paint strainer bags for years. They work great.

You can use smaller bags but I find that there is a lot more blossom drop from less air circulation and constriction of growth of the branches,  leaves and blossoms.

I'll continue to use the paint strainer bags myself.
Thanks for sharing that!
D3monic said:
I tried paint strainers for a bit then switched to mosquito netting. I got some fairly cheep.. looks like price went up though https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E3EE3YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, I think my next step up will be using that. I guess a cheap frame that could cover the whole plant with the fabric stapled to it would work? 

yea, I use garden staples and stick them in the ground over wooden stakes in the raised beds. Keeps the netting from blowing around in the wind. I have some flies under one though, I think from my strawberry bed. 

I've been isolating whole raised beds, Way I figure i'm pretty much just isolating from bugs, pollen can still blow right through. Would have to be a super fine micron mesh for it not to. 

I know they used to have 20 and 50 gallon industrial sized bags ,I seen them when I bought the 5 gal for my homebrew projects...... I just don't see them anymore

Thank you very much for this, Peter! I've been having a heck of a time with my normal glue method because it keeps sporadically raining and washing the glue off. So I busted out an old mosquito net that I bought a couple years ago and never used. The kind that go over your head. I just went out and bagged a branch that has a lot of buds on it. Great work and thanks again!

-Adam

D3monic said:
yea, I use garden staples and stick them in the ground over wooden stakes in the raised beds. Keeps the netting from blowing around in the wind. I have some flies under one though, I think from my strawberry bed. 

I've been isolating whole raised beds, Way I figure i'm pretty much just isolating from bugs, pollen can still blow right through. Would have to be a super fine micron mesh for it not to. 
Yeah, that sounds great. You have a lot more options on pod selection. Everything I'm growing from those seeds you gave me is looking true. That 7-Pot Burgundy is a beast.
Bhuter said:
Thank you very much for this, Peter! I've been having a heck of a time with my normal glue method because it keeps sporadically raining and washing the glue off. So I busted out an old mosquito net that I bought a couple years ago and never used. The kind that go over your head. I just went out and bagged a branch that has a lot of buds on it. Great work and thanks again!

-Adam
Thanks for checking out the video. I'm glad it was helpful!

What about pollination? I bought a bunch of tulle bridal sachet bags for dirt cheap at a Hobby Lobby last year but have been hesitant to try them because I don't know enough about pollination. Do you shake the plants or does the wind take care of it?

Hay man, another place for netting you guys may not think of are boyscout places or camping outlets. They are just as fine as if not finer than paint strainers and are usually green or white
MadDog said:
But do you get the same yield or should you just be isolating a subset of your plants?
You don't actually have to do the whole plant. 5-8 flowers or a branch would actually suffice

Back