• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Isolating Peppers for Seed Saving

D3monic said:

my isolated plants are fully loaded with pods so insect pollination is completly unnecessary. Peppers are self pollinators and do no require outside assistance. 
I pack some parts of the grow room way to tight.  The plants at the back wall do not get much from the fans.  They don't seem to show nearly as many pods.  So I do think they benefit from wind and I think I need more fans.

Hmm, that system seems pretty cool, but the pollen of one plant can also pollinate another plant by using the wind as a transport medium.

Or can some of these "fruit protection bags" also keep alien pollen outside?

Zackorz said:
Hmm, that system seems pretty cool, but the pollen of one plant can also pollinate another plant by using the wind as a transport medium.

Or can some of these "fruit protection bags" also keep alien pollen outside?
Have had many a plant grow goofy even though the seed was purchased from the huge companies.  I do not think anything is 100%.  Think of things like corn seed stock.  The volume a company produces makes it economically impossible to use barrier protection.  So many just use distance.  Again, not 100%.  I use barrier protection, but I am sure there are some bright insects that figure out a way to get in now and then.  You do what you can and always selectively seed save each year to cull any dna that got mixed in.

I've read so many articles on bee ranges I don't know what to believe. One article said they've been tracked up to 12 miles. The studies I've read on cross pollination rates say they're upwards of 30% likely. If you want true stock, it's apparent you must isolate.

MadDog said:
I've read so many articles on bee ranges I don't know what to believe. One article said they've been tracked up to 12 miles. The studies I've read on cross pollination rates say they're upwards of 30% likely. If you want true stock, it's apparent you must isolate.
I agree but think isolation is only part of the process. After years of culling, I think I have the best damn Moon and Stars Watermelon in the world.  Real melt in your mouth sugar and juice running down your face stuff.  Barrier isolation doesn't work all the time. You can build a fence around your prized coon dog but that dont mean sneaky neighbor dog wont dig under it.  So you cull and you cull each season, hopefully refining the best possible dna.  That and you take a super soaker to that randy mutt.

Back