• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It has begun...

those r just the live plants, I have about 2 or more of each one, then what I have with the seeds.....with the seeds I have 2 or 3 pods per pepper plant. heres that list.....

Capsicum Annuum USDA #432818
Capsicum Annuum USDA #152452
Capsicum Annuum USDA #478360

Mayo Chiltepine
Chocolate Trinidad
brown hab
golden hab
peruvian white
piquin large black
tiburon
bolivian
fatalii
ecuador
bermuda
bellengrath gardens
jamaica scotch bonnet
tequila sunrise
Fluorescent Purple
filus blue
ramic

theres a few more butthe seed packs are outside, there mostly habs...

but did I mention I dont eat hot peppers and that im allergic to them lol, but it is fun, and I love to try and make them happy little plants

Ok, here's the new hatchlings for this season(some of these were stared in January:
peppertray.jpg

peppertray1.jpg

peppertray2.jpg

Nice lot you got there, how do you know which is which, as I just planted mine last week and didnt mark them is that a bad thing...

tpowell25 said:
Nice lot you got there, how do you know which is which
I mark on the outside of the pot the name of each pepper. I generally can recognize each plant(in my small group of pepper seeds that I have), but it helps to mark the plants.

tpowell25 said:
as I just planted mine last week and didnt mark them is that a bad thing...
Only if you are growing two or more different kinds. :twisted:

I would imagine this has been asked a million times but here goes
and if I word this wrong then shoot me

is there a good or bad to this, letting different plants in the same area when they produce peppers or is it best to kept the same type of plants together

tpowell25 said:
:: shoots tpowell25 ::

"Sorry, you didn't word it wrong...I just wanted to shoot you."

But seriously, the question is, what are you goign to be doing with the crop? If you are just looking to harvest true seeds, then keep the same different plants far away so they don't cross polinate.

If you are just going to harvest the plants to eat, then mix away. Just be sure to anticipate the space they will need to grow and plant accordingly(unless your container growing, then you'll be fine).

tpowell25 said:
I would imagine this has been asked a million times but here goes

is there a good or bad to this, letting different plants in the same area when they produce peppers or is it best to kept the same type of plants together

Well it depends on how much of a purest you are. Chiles are notorious cross breeders so if you want to keep your strains pure then you should not mix them. If that doesn't matter to you then it's ok to mix the plants but be aware that the seeds produced by those plants could pick up traits from from the other species of peppers. I know for a fact that the Jalapenos that I grow now are a lot hotter than the originals just because they were pollenated among habanero types and asian type peppers.

*edit*
Nice plants you have there imaguitargod. They look to be about a month further along than mine. I just started getting secondary leaves on my little guys and the ones from Fatalliman are just poking their heads up now. I have at least one plant from each of the varieties (of fat's seeds) except for the Sante Fe Grande seeds so far. I'm still hoping for a plant out of that row yet.

Y'all make me want to cry with your babies... I don't even have sprouts yet. And I've only got a couple going. :D

I was told that the only way to avoid cross-pollination is to clone... of course then, I had to learn that by cloning they meant take cuttings... duh, but there ya have it. If the plant is going to die and you need the seeds... keep yer distance. If you are going to take cuttings for next year's plants... don't worry about it.

T

FREEZE WARNING TONIGHT!

What the hell? First we have summer in winter now winter in spring?

Looks like I might loose some plants.

What a crazy world we live in. Must be the endtimes....where's that Art Bell book????

Chango said:
Hey chuk,

How cold did it get in Austin? Does it look like your plants survived? It was lower 30's in Dallas...

Hope you guys covered everything. Still too cold up here so my seedlings are still inside. Supposed to hit 60 next week though so hopefully we are on our way to spring.

Chango said:
Hey chuk,

How cold did it get in Austin? Does it look like your plants survived? It was lower 30's in Dallas...

I think it got down to about 32-31

We covered up. Some of the tomato plants had some damage and the jalapeno plants got a little nipped too but I think they will all survive. The habaneros were fine. Those are the pit bulls of the pepper plant world...hard to kill.

I plan to plant much more tomorrow!

The seedlings are in the ground! I got everything planted this past weekend. 10'x25' garden, 12 rows 5 plants each, 12 varieties. I planted 2 rows of the hawaiian sweet hots since those are quickly becoming my favorites. I have pictures but I don't have them ready yet. I plan on putting together a tutorial on cultivating peppers for northern climates soon too.
Here is what went in the ground, mostly short season stuff.

Thai dragon
Hanoi Red
Firecracker
Jalapeno
Jalopa
Riff 9441
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Sante Fe Grande
African Piquin
Caribbean Red
Indian Red
Cherry Red

Most of these are going to be smoked this fall to make some more chipotle. Last years batch turned out pretty good and I am almost out so I need to increase quantity on that. Some are going into fresh salsa and the rest I will probably dry.

So now its up to nature, hope everyone has a good growing season!

Well it's only been 5 weeks since my babies went into the ground and I must say they are doing much better than last year. Most of the plants are a foot tall now with tons of flowers!. Last year I still didn't have these in the ground at this time it was so cold but not this year, so far it's been perfect growing weather.
:)

june_chile_flower.jpg

Back