• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

It's good February is a short month!

Because I am having trouble waiting for March so I can start some serious seed sowing and garden work. For the past three months I've been forced to just experiment with this media, that small group of seeds, this type of potting soil. I've made my shopping list, checked and changed it about a dozen times and am itching to get started.

I figure I will have about 6800 linear feet of rows. A lot of that will be taken up with tomatoes, peppers and Sweet and regular potatoes. For plant numbers: ~1800 tomatoes, 200 peppers, 500 sweet potatoes, and 120 for regular spuds. I'll also have about 500 onions and Swiss Chard plants. The rest of the area, about 800 linear feet, will be used for succession growing or backyard gardening. Spinach and Broccoli will have 250 feet each, Sugar Snap Peas will have 300 feet (1200 plants) and will be trellised. The peas will be replaced with pole beans and cucumbers (mostly gherkins) in summer and then revert to peas in the fall. Summer zucchini will take the spinach spot and then give way to it again when finished. Broccoli will rotate with carrots. (I guess that means an additional 1600 feet!) I'll also interplant lettuce, loose leaf and romaine, in three rows of early toms. By the time the toms get large enough to shade the lettuce, it will be too warm to grow anyway.

Most of the large plot of ground (holding all the above but regular potatoes) will be grown from seedlings or plants. The exceptions will be lettuce, spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions and part of the Chard. Because a large percentage of the produce will be sold at Farmers Markets, getting fruits or leaves early is important. I can easily knock three weeks off the time to harvest mature peas and probably a month off broccoli. Plus, having mature seedlings gives me a leg up in succession planting - I won't have to wait for the seeds to sprout and start growing.

The horticubes work great for toms and chard. The peas are doing very good in 200-cell nursery trays and I have to presume the beans will too. The cukes and zucchini germinate and grow so quickly, no need to grow seedlings. The peppers will go into 128 or 72 cell flats. Everything will grow up in a green house under cooler conditions and brighter light, so they should be stronger than starting seeds indoors under artificial light and much warmer temps.

As this garden/venture is a demonstration project (showing how inner-city, unused/underused land can be productive, I need to keep extensive records. Growing Degree Days to get mature fruit or produce, pounds per plant, dollars per pound sold - the whole gamut.

It ought to be a fun year - once it starts!

Mike

I am just starring out my window....waiting....waiting....another snow fall advisary, should start hitting us in a couple of hours, 15 - 30cm by tomorrow.

But, I did think of you today Mike, i stopped into a local store, they are all putting out seed packets now gearing up for the spring and i saw purple carrots. i will most likely buy some but not until later, then i saw some purple brocoli. I did purchase a packet of sage and arugula and debated on stevia but they wanted $4.00 for the seeds so the "no" side of me won.

True, but in another forum, this lady was talking about what she sold at Farmers Markets - 3000 pounds of tomatoes a week, at $1-1.50/lb. Sugar Snap Peas for $4/lb., lots of cucumbers, beans and other stuff. I'm sure I will approach her sales but I would be thrilled with $600/wk.

Mike

BC,

Yeah, this growing thing is tearing at me. I think I could see selling under the name of The Purple Thumb!

One suggestion I saw today was one I was thinking of - selling a six-pack of different plants, such as one each of a banana, bell, Hungarian Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Cayenne and Hab (or a similar). Or a salsa theme - pepper, tomato, etc. I mass sow seeds so this would not be hard to do!

Mike

True, but in another forum, this lady was talking about what she sold at Farmers Markets - 3000 pounds of tomatoes a week, at $1-1.50/lb. Sugar Snap Peas for $4/lb., lots of cucumbers, beans and other stuff. I'm sure I will approach her sales but I would be thrilled with $600/wk.

Mike

You should see what they charge for tomatoes here in western Washington at the grocery stores. Usually $3.99 to $4.99 a pound. Those bastards! It would be no big deal to me except for the fact that I am a tomato addict too.
icon_mad.gif

Wordwiz

use plastic mulch on the tomatoes, pepper, lettuce, you won't regret it...yields are more and before...

my experience with bell peppers planted in soil (greenhouse), most in my country have the first harvest 75 to 90 days after transplanting, i always have mine before 60 days. ;)

do a little search on the topic of plastic mulch...you will see the benefits.

I think I could see selling under the name of The Purple Thumb!

One suggestion I saw today was one I was thinking of - selling a six-pack of different plants, such as one each of a banana, bell, Hungarian Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Cayenne and Hab (or a similar). Or a salsa theme - pepper, tomato, etc. I mass sow seeds so this would not be hard to do!

I like the name and like the idea. I have seen some plastic 4 packs and they have a handle for easy of carrying; could aways complement the salsa idea with cilantro or green onion/chives.

keep up the creative thinking.

BC,

Thanks! I'll start a thread about what plants should be included in a "Salsa Mix." I'm think something like an Amish Paste tomato, a jalapeno or similar pepper, a bell pepper, a tomatillo, cilantro, onion.

Mike

Back