• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

It's happening finally

Almost overnight my pods started ripening. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl! :dance:

Bhut Jolokia- I have varying pod shapes from the same pack of seeds. Here is one. All the pods on this plant are fairly good sized:
IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

Yet another variation. Most of the pods on this plant are medium sized and more roundish. Some almost look like the Assam Indian Carbons I have seen:
IMAG0030.jpg

This is off the same plant though as the last pic:
IMAG0031.jpg

Here is another variation. These seem to be going more orange/redish right away at the top. All the pods on this plant are quite a bit smaller than the other plant in the first 2 pics.
IMAG0026.jpg

A couple Trinidad Scorpions:
IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

well done ... exciting times :woohoo:

yep indeed !!!

harvest time is nice :) whell it's not harvest yet but coming soon :)

cant will till next year to make grow some nice hot peppers (something different that wont never be sold at the hardware store ;) )

I have yellow bhuts and it is odd that if I pick them just as they start to turn and let the turn inside they are yellow, if they turn outisde they are more orangish, dont know why. Nice looking plants :D

I'm Jealous,
I have hundreds of Hab's all still green,
About 80 Poblanos, all still green,
hundres of LSR cayenes all still green
about 40 jalapenos all still green
and about 80 hot hungarians of which 4 have started to turn orange yesterday...(I thought the stayed yellow)

and my buht's..... well I have about 40 flowers and one tiny tiny tiny pepper.
I tarted all of mine from seed in the last week of march.... just have to start earlier next year... and I'll be over wintering one of my buht's

But congrats...and enjoy the 'fruits' of your labor.
I know how you feel...
everyday I come home from work go to the garden and bending over as I carefully pull back the branches... and whispering to my self...
"any color yet...any color yet...... oh come on....... just one of you start to change...please......."

lol
V

I'm Jealous,
I have hundreds of Hab's all still green,
About 80 Poblanos, all still green,
hundres of LSR cayenes all still green
about 40 jalapenos all still green
and about 80 hot hungarians of which 4 have started to turn orange yesterday...(I thought the stayed yellow)

and my buht's..... well I have about 40 flowers and one tiny tiny tiny pepper.
I tarted all of mine from seed in the last week of march.... just have to start earlier next year... and I'll be over wintering one of my buht's

But congrats...and enjoy the 'fruits' of your labor.
I know how you feel...
everyday I come home from work go to the garden and bending over as I carefully pull back the branches... and whispering to my self...
"any color yet...any color yet...... oh come on....... just one of you start to change...please......."

lol
V

Some earlier varieties of Jalapenos ripen to red much sooner.....use some while still green ?
What color are you expecting from your Pablanos ?
The Hungarian Wax will turn red on the plant if you allow it to...I do and I also like the "Banana" type peppers to mature orange/red....good luck

Been picking a handful or so every day now. Check out my pod variations of my supposed "bhuts". The pile on the far right are scorpions.

IMAG0041.jpg

The yellow ones are hot but probably the least hot of the the rest. The first pile on the bottom left, I cut one of those in half the other night and ate it.

IMAG0042.jpg

I didn't expect what was to come. WOW! I was careless and had picked it up with my hand and must have got some oil on my fingers. When I started sweating I wiped my forehead and I was on fire! My wife said it looked like someone smacked me in the face and in the mouth cuz my lips were so swollen. Later on I went to take a pee even after I had washed my hands. Not a good move. It wasn't as bad as on my forehead but it was a bit uncomfortable.

Here's a closeup of the middle pile. These are extremely hot also but they are quite small. Somebody had said if they are bhuts they may have got crossed.

IMAG0043.jpg

I have yet to try the scorpions. I am a little scared to be honest cuz my boss took a little bite out of one and got the hiccups immediately.

I think I will end up drying a bunch of these to make powder. I still have not found anybody to eat a whole one yet. I know I'm not ready.

I also have a couple plants just loaded with Orange Habs and a few Jalapenos. I'm going to have to learn how to pickle some of the Jalapenos.

I have yet to try the scorpions. I am a little scared to be honest cuz my boss took a little bite out of one and got the hiccups immediately.

Don't let that scare ya to much! I had a coworker try some mango habanero sauce from buffalo wild wings one day at lunch and that gave him the hiccups, and I personally can barely detect heat in that sauce anymore.

Back