• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

It's Powder Time

D3monic said:
Just wait till you throw them in a coffee grinder and make the mistake of opening it immediately
I made the mistake of eating a whole pod on saturday.

Walchit said:
You could probably get shakers at the grocery store and dump them out for cheaper than a dollar, hot sauce is cheaper to dump out
I save all my shakers from empty spices. I cook alot so i end up with alot of empties.

PO3JKaN.gif

:lol:

nice Dehydrator D3

:cheers:

Walchit said:
You could probably get shakers at the grocery store and dump them out for cheaper than a dollar, hot sauce is cheaper to dump out
Lol I have a bunch of repurposed shakers in the cabinets.

How do you guys do your smaller peppers, de seed them for a bazillion hours or do you just dry them and grind seeds and all? I was thinking about maybe drying and then crushing through a wire strainer. Not sure how well that would work to separate the seeds though. 

D3monic said:
How do you guys do your smaller peppers, de seed them for a bazillion hours or do you just dry them and grind seeds and all? I was thinking about maybe drying and then crushing through a wire strainer. Not sure how well that would work to separate the seeds though. 
The struggle is real :lol: 

Depends on the pepper, for small round ones; I cut off the top then spin the pairing knife tip around inside which removes some seeds but not all, then they go into the dehydrator.  After dehydrated, i put them in a mason jar and shake them vigorously. This knocks out a lot of the remaining seeds. Separate pile of seeds on bottom of jar from small round pods, then grind your dried mostly seedless small round pods  :)

If you find a faster way to get the bitter seeds out of small round pods before dehydrating for powder let me know 

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

Depends on the pepper, for small round ones; I cut off the top then spin the pairing knife tip around inside which removes some seeds but not all, then they go into the dehydrator.  After dehydrated, i put them in a mason jar and shake them vigorously. This knocks out a lot of the remaining seeds. Separate pile of seeds on bottom of jar from small round pods, then grind your dried mostly seedless small round pods   :)

If you find a faster way to get the bitter seeds out of small round pods before dehydrating for powder let me know 

I've alway done it the hard way up until now. Guess I will continue doing it that way. Just got a big pile of white bullet habs and some wild brazil to dry. Wasn't looking forward to that deseeding operation. 

I deseeded a bunch of small NuMex Twilight pods last year (not for powder though). I cut the top off with a paring knife, put on a rubber glove, then just rolled the pods back and forth between my thumb and fingers and kinda "squeezed" the seeds out. It definitely got a vast majority of them out, if not all of them. Once you get into a rhythm, it goes fairly quickly

LOL, the struggle IS real ;)

Chewi said:
Michael what are the white pods second top left? Fantastic looking!!

White bullet habanero. Tasty little buggers. 

Not sure how I feel about this dehydrator yet. It's going on day 3 and pods still aren't dry. I keep bumping up temp in frustration. Think i'm at 130f now. My little nesco would have them dry in like 6-10 hours. 

Humidity is 54% that could be a factor as well. 

Depends on the pepper, for small round ones; I cut off the top then spin the pairing knife tip around inside which removes some seeds but not all, then they go into the dehydrator.  After dehydrated, i put them in a mason jar and shake them vigorously. This knocks out a lot of the remaining seeds. Separate pile of seeds on bottom of jar from small round pods, then grind your dried mostly seedless small round pods  :)

Thanks for the great idea. I vacuum seal my dried pods in mason jars anyway.

Here are a few pics of them. Shaken.

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_8873.JPG

140 degrees is the temp that seemed to work at a rate that was acceptable to me. I really like the unit, it's holds a fair amount of peppers and is much quieter than my old nesco. 

I got some scotch brains, red moa , white thai and white bullet habs smoking over apple right now that will go into the dehydrator before I head into work. I'll snag a pic before I leave. 

For the white thai I shoved a chop stick down them and twisted it around to loosen seeds

wOqztNq.jpg

For the white bullets I chopped the top off and twisted them between my fingers to loosen all the seeds. Will try the jar method on both

9CtO3RU.jpg

I should make a cold smoker one of these days. 

Love the look of these scotch brains. Might do a scotch brain and SB7J blend.

6vhM8hO.jpg

My very first small batch of powders. Surprised how much those small shakers ate up. Seems like it would be much more efficient to just sell fresh pods by the SFRB.

Nonetheless we all need powders to get us through the winter.. at least those of us up north. 

SYHQu81.jpg

oIlb3l1.jpg

3WW5znb.jpg

Q1PejHl.jpg

I need a light box for sure.. 

Back