• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

It's So Hot Here!

I dont know if this is normal or safe cause everyone one here states that they water their plants once a week but ive had to water my plants almost EVERY day now. Every 2 days or so, the plants start to wilt. Ive been fighting the aphids with neem oil so I know thats not the problem. And I do stick my finger into the soil and it does feel dry. I just want to know whether so much water is bad for the plant or will it affect the peppers heat?

Here on the Mexico border I am watering twice a day. 100 degree heat and 30mph winds suck up some moisture.

Once a week watering is a joke down here.

I've heard some folks say that by causing water stress during fruit ripening, the level of Capsaicin will increase. Not sure if that is true or not. In my opinion, you should treat the aphid infestation with live ladybugs and just watch the plants. They will tell you when they are in need of watering and will start drooping. You'll get the feel for them but in high heat is good to err on the side of caution.

I've heard some folks say that by causing water stress during fruit ripening, the level of Capsaicin will increase. Not sure if that is true or not. In my opinion, you should treat the aphid infestation with live ladybugs and just watch the plants. They will tell you when they are in need of watering and will start drooping. You'll get the feel for them but in high heat is good to err on the side of caution.

So is the increase of Capsaicin a good thing or bad? is that what causes the peppers heat?

I wait until I see my plants wilt just a touch, and then I water them. During the real hot days I do water them twice a day. Over time you learn how to read your plants, they'll tell what they need and when. If they're hardened up right they become easy to read.

Are they in pots?
Depending on how deep the roots are pot form a natural water table towards the bottom. You may gage the water content by the pot's total weight. If they tell you they need water you better water them.

Good luck!!

Back