• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

It's the little victories...

Picked my son up from school yesterday. Come to the first traffic light beyond the school parking lot, about 200 yards away. Lights are red but the green right turn arrows are lit. Means you don't have to stop if you're turning right. High school guy driving a Chevy Blazer with two girls in the back is sitting there, not moving. I tap the horn. Move you goof. Kid rolls a few feet real slow then decides to go. I'm happy again. Now he's being a schmuck and driving real slow. It's a divided highway with a speed limit of 55mph. So I hit my turn signal and change lanes to pass him. Oh look, he's waving at me. Nope. He's got his middle finger plastered up against the window and a big smile on his face. I smile back, slow down and move in behind him. Not threatening, I keep the two second rule in mind.

Here comes the next traffic light. He decides to make a left turn and so do I. Traveling nice and easy down a side street we come to a stop sign and he runs it. I stop at the sign and follow. He makes a few turns through a residential neighborhood and I'm staying with him. He's not speeding and I'm not following very close but we never lose sight of each other. He finally pulls up in front of a house, I pull in behind him. I can see him smiling and laughing in the mirror. I put my car in park, take my seat belt off to go have a talk with the youngster and as soon as I remove the seat belt he takes off. So I follow him some more. We go by a couple of police cars parked in a gas station and I'm hoping that he stops to talk with them. Tell the cops some madman is following him. No such luck.

So we drive around for another 15 minutes or so going through residential neighborhoods. Each stop sign I stick my hand out the window and wave at him to stop. I notice the smile has left his face. He's also on his cell phone. I'm hoping he goes home, I'd like to say hi to his folks. No luck he just keeps driving. The next stop sign I'm waving my arm again and I see him roll his window down. He sticks his head and shoulders out the window and looks at me. No sign of that smile. I've got one now. Big one.

I stick my head part way out the window and I ask him why he thought I deserved that finger. I'm not yelling or threatening at all. I have a smile on my face. He says because I yelled at him. Kid is shaking in his boots. I replied I didn't yell at you, I honked at you for being stopped at a green light. You were busy talking with the girls in the back and weren't paying attention to driving. Then I told him I thought I deserved an apology for that finger he gave me. He agreed and said he was sorry. I said thank you for the apology. Then I told him to think before he acts because the next guy he flips off might not be as nice as me. He then went his way and I went mine.

That felt so good.

I decided at the beginning of the chase if the kid got stupid and tried to outrun me I would have let him go. With the exception of running the stop sign it was a very mundane car chase through the 'burbs. Never broke the speed limit.

But damn that felt good.

Put him in his place well done. You are right too someone else might have filled him full of lead!

And you were doing all this with your child in the car!? There are too many dumbasses out there carrying guns to put my kids at risk with all that foolishness. You did this because a dumb kid flipped you the bird??? Maybe next time he'll take a shot at you. . . or maybe at your kid! That would be well worth it huh!?

Wow, you got a dumb, scared teenager to apologize to you. You should be proud...

Sorry for the rant, I've just seen stupid crap like this go the wrong way and innocent people get hurt.

Wow, congrats on wasting all that time to get a kid the same age as your son to apologize to you, im sure your child wont hear about it at school from the guy who you followed and from all his friends and everyone else, and im sure that hes not embarrassed as all hell because of your actions

Geez folks relax. Yep did it with my child in the car. My 17 year old child. He wasn't embarrassed in the least, thought it was a lot of fun actually. Is my son worried about retribution from the kid or his friends? Nope, not at all. In fact he was tweeting his buddies as we were doing it. Embarrassed? Nah he only gets embarrassed when I act like an idiot in public and people can see me doing it. If my son had asked me not to do it I would have stopped. Probably. Ha! Was I worried that he had a gun? Crossed my mind.

wheebz, I'm retired and the kid didn't have any homework so we really didn't waste a lot of time. With all the time you spend with me and my son I'm sure you know exactly how he felt about it. Thanks for that.

Redtail, "Sorry about the rant" No you're not and saying that doesn't do anything but make you feel good about what you said. Save it. I live in a small town of less than 15,000 people. Not a lot of shootings going on.

qq152, yep I most certainly did. Seems rather simple to understand.

I had a story to tell, thought a few folks might get a kick out of it. For those of you who didn't I'm wondering why you would waste your time reading it? Then waste even more showing your disdain? Didn't your mom ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all?

Today's world of instant communication and social networks has given a lot of people the idea that what they have to say matters, that it's important and the world can't survive without their direction. In reality all it gives them is a self-inflated ego and a soapbox from which to spew their self-righteous opinions. None of that gives a person the right to judge or criticize another.

You don't like what I have to say fine. Keep your criticisms to yourself or tell them to someone who wants to hear them. I don't.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Patrick, I live in a town with less than 1000 residents and I still won't have done what you did with my kid in the car. There was a similar situation just over the mountain a couple years ago and a firearm was brandished (luckily not discharged) at a good friend of mine. There are a lot of crazy people out there, why risk it.

As far as keeping comments private, the last time I looked, this is a public forum. If you don't want to accept criticism on your actions, then keep you stories to yourself...

Patrick, i read your story this morning and found it to be quite entertaining.

I read it through to the end just to see how it turned out.

I'm pretty sure the young fellow that brandished his middle digit at you, will probably think twice before he does that again at a motorist he doesn't know.

Thanks for posting your story! :cool:

dvg

Glad to hear you enjoyed it dvg. I hope the kid did learn a lesson.

Redtail I can take the criticism if it's being given to me by someone who has earned the right. What makes you think you earned that right? Do you think being on a public forum gives you the right to criticize?

Moving right along. It's Friday which means I get to sleep in. Life is good.

Pretty disappointing coming from retired USAF. What gives me the right to speak my mind and give criticism on a public forum? How about the freedom of speech? Just as you have the right to tell everyone that you chased some dumb teenager because he flipped you off trying to impress his little girlfriend, I'm allowed to call you out for being a fool for risking your son's safety by chasing him down in a vehicle...

God bless America!

Do you really think I would risk my kids safety? Give it a rest OK. Yes yes bad things happen all the time. Doesn't mean they happen every time. We all put our kids in jeopardy every time we put them in a car don't we. Pretty sure more kids die in auto accidents than being shot. It was pretty evident by the kids actions he didn't have a gun in the car. People who carry guns tend to be aggressive and stand their ground, not run.

Didn't you already bring up the public forum thing? You do have a right to speak. But there is a line you see. The word libel defines that line. Here's one of many definitions: a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression. I'd say calling me "out for being a fool" gets very close to that. In fact if you think a little it may even suggest you don't have the right to say anything you want. So yes we have freedom of speech in this country but it doesn't cover everything that comes out of our mouths. God bless America is right!

If there isn't any other point you want to make then can we end our conversation? I'm sure anyone who reads this is getting bored of our little discussion. If you really need to continue it let's go to PM's OK?

Apologies folks.

Sort of makes me think of this video of "hillbillies messing with the wrong guy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bCVD_oyLOs

Now that is a great video!!!!! :rofl: Thanks for sharing Potawie!

Oh yeah, and Patrick, keep doing whatever you feel like. I know I could care less as well as most folks on here. If it makes you feel superior making a scared kid apologize to you, then have at it. Maybe you will be "the tough guy" just like in the video. Now I would pay to see that!!!

Back