• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

It's time to harvest some horseradish

We've had enough killing frosts and hard freezes. I want some horseradish, though I still keep reading about ways to do it. Pepperfever has given me the basics but I suspect it is like sex, until you do it yourself, directions don't really mean anything.

But if anyone has tried and tested ideas for spices to add to the root before or after adding vinegar, I'm all eyes.

Mike

I love my horseradish nice and hot, I saw on tv once that the longer you wait (only a few minutes though) after you have ground the horseradish and the air gets to it it gets hotter, then you add the vinegar to stabilize the heat.

I tried to make it once by my cheap chopper at the time couldn't handle it so I didn't get too far into it. Gotta try again now I got a good food processor.

Love to hear the results of your tests.

Hey Mike, I do not add anything other than water and vinegar and then add it to regular mustard. I would love to hear how everyone else does it.

Finally, I managed to get a tiny bit of a most sought-after condiment. Less than two tablespoons, more than two teaspoons, but wow - is it tasty.

For this batch, because I had so little root to work with, all I added was vinegar, but I did wait at least three minutes to add it. A nice amount of heat for HR but the taste - heavenly! Way far better than what I have bought at the local store. I cannot wait until spring, and especially next winter, when I can get more than a few ounces of roots to process.

Thanks, Jackie!

Mike

Back