I've been teasing my local kebab restaurant....

...by not ordering sauce with my late night kebab for weeks. One of my friends knows one of the owners really well and we have teased him with my melon habanero special that seemed to go down a treat. I brought my friend a little bottle for tastin' and on the way home we gave the kebab shop a little, and they asked for me and what was in it. I told em the basics cos you could taste it, but am considering asking if they want more...

what would be involved. Am not in US rather EU, I imagine some kinda kitchen training would be required but don't know.

If i were to charge for a recipe what should i do to judge what is was worth?

honestly it's not worth that much. it's incredibly simple. melons, brown sugar and lots of red hab's but taste amazing. I would share the exact recipie with everyone here. It's just the resturant has a big profile/(beginings of) a chain here and i can see potential. I just don't know where to start.

is the selling of a recipe better than selling a supply?

IMHO, keeping the "secret" recipe (even as simple as it might be to you) is more valuable unless you don't care if they use it... it is worth more in the long run if you are able to work out something where you make your own product and sell it to them, but as I'm no expert on any of the things that would be required for that, I'd do some research before handing over the recipe for $$... Just ask Col. Sanders and KFC if their recipe was worth more than the product! :) Just saying that some of the simpliest of things have made some people a lot of money! Think about it before handing it over.

The way I see it is, if you come up with good recipes all the time, then sure, sell it. But if you have a hard time mastering recipes, and this is a winner, hold on to it. Think about it. You could sell it for a cool buck, change it a bit so it's different, and you still have a version of it. Cheers.

thanks for the input guys. When I posted this I was absolutely hammered and forgot about this thread. To answer your questions I come up with fairly decent recipes all the time, so that's not really a prob. No i don't grow the melons myself. Wish i could but Finland is hardly the best melon, let alone chili growing environment.

Melon habanero is really nice. especially if you strain the sauce. You are left with a runny Tabasco like sauce and and amazing relish.

Ask them what they want and if they want supply, how much? See how interested they are and then make your decision. If they only want the recipe, aim high as you only get one shot to make the money on it that way.

newhotstuff said:
Don't sell it, but rather license it to them, or get it over here to some people to sample and license it to them. More they sell more cash u make

I agree. As I was reading this thread that's what I was thinking too. You could sell them a license, in a lump sum, that gives them the rights to use your recipe for their business but NOT to distribute the sauce (ie: compete with your retail efforts) or distribute the recipe.

buggedcom said:
what would be involved. Am not in US rather EU, I imagine some kinda kitchen training would be required but don't know.

Hi there neighbour!

Assuming the rules are the same in Sweden as in Finland (both in EU if someone didn't know) the very least is a course in food safety. There are some exceptions to this like if you serve hot dogs at a kids football game, but if you go commersial you need it. My next door neighbour (from Laos, great food) had to build a whole new kitchen for her catering business, she was not allowed to use the family kitchen. And I'm assuming you need to keep the correct temperatures in fridges and freezers etc etc etc and always be ready for surprise inspections from health inspectors checking hundreds of things we normal people never think of. Also - the EU-regulations are the minimum requirement (Muahahaha, they friggin have rules about the curvature of cucumbers!) so Finland may have much harder rules!

So I say - ask them how much they want to offer you for the recipe...

There was this little Italian bar/restaurant where I grew up that had this amazing sauce that they used in their pasta dishes. They shipped their main dish, Cavetelli, all over the country. In the late 1970's Pizza Hut made an offer to buy the sauce, it was just over a million dollars. It didn't shock any of us when the owners, Helen and Pat, turned them down.

There are huge amounts of money involved in sauces. Best of luck to you buggedcom.

I think it would be easier to make some money off the recipe rather than have all the problems associated with food safety. And then there's all the lawyers and insurance:(

patrick said:
In the late 1970's Pizza Hut made an offer to buy the sauce, it was just over a million dollars. It didn't shock any of us when the owners, Helen and Pat, turned them down.

There are huge amounts of money involved in sauces. Best of luck to you buggedcom.

I agree if you take the time and spend the money to patent and bottle your sauce you will make more money then selling the recipe.

Especially if you get several local establishments to stock your sauce. Then you bottle it setup a website and sale it to others. If it's good they will come.

Back