• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I've topped some Host Plants.

Just did my first "topping" of eight of the 25 test plants I have going. They're still in 4" pots, but this coming weekend, I'll be putting them into gallon pots. My goal is to use them as Hosts for clones. I want to get at least 50 branch ends on each plant. After seeing AJ's and others, I think this is possible. Then, I can keep my Host plants inside all year under fluorescents and use them for clones. That will keep all my plants purebred and relieve me of having to buy seeds. As the plants show better and better growth traits, I can use only those plants for clones and get my own purebred hybrids going.

Anyone see any problems with this plan? If so, save me some time and let me know.

So far:

1. White Bullet
2. Chocolate Hab
3. Scorpion
4. 7-Pot
5. Fatalii
6. Red Savina

Each plant is about 6 inches tall and in excellent health.

When the topped plants have a 3 node growth, I'll top them again at each 3rd node and continue to do so until they reach the height that gives me my 50 cuttings from each. Then it'll be time to start taking clones and rooting them in my clone machine.

Long range plans.

That was the case in the past Omri,But newer advances in growing techniques and Nutrient supply for the Clones has increased there productivity..At a cost..Taste as my cousin found out to his era a few years ago and discovered his prize strain of toms where nice and tasteless,Forcing plants in the vegetable industry just
is a good idea for productivity but a bad one for taste and Omri is completley right when growing cuttings/Clones they Normally grow very slowly indeed..Get seed every time if you can :(

I've personally never had a problem with cloned plants being any smaller or slower. In fact they were some of my larger plants this year

talas said:
Just wanting to Add if you do start to Clone Use Clonex rooting Hormone its very good indeed :)

Seconded, it's great. A rooting hormone is not necessary when growing cuttings, but this stuff certainly helps you getting better results!

Omri said:
Clones are slower growers. meaning smaller plants.
Actualy, clones are genetic duplicates of the host plant. If the proper hormones are used and care is taken to avoid stress to the clone, there can be no genetic difference between the clone and it's host. This has been proven in labs thousands of times. The fruit, taste, color, size...all should be exactly that of the host plant. Having cloned several hundred plants, I have yet to discover one that this isn't true for. I use Dyna-Gro Liquid K-L-N Rooting hormone in my aeroponic cloning machine. The plants come out of the machine in 15 days with roots between 10 and 15 inches long. The plants always take off and grow to be identical to the host. An unexplained phenomenon that does occur is after a dozen or so clones of clones, the plants will abort in one generation to really weird traits. This has to be a clone taken from a clone taken from a clone....etc.

Of course, these are my first peppers, so we'll see. I'll keep everyone posted on how it works.

Nat,

I can't resist, I just bought a clone machine This one.

If it works, I can pay for it in the spring by selling plants, then in 2010 make a bunch of money. I can't sell (as far as I understand) a knockout rose bush as a clone of a specific plant (due to some kind of patents) but I can sell a clone of "this knock-out rose bush growing in my yard."

These plants are extremely popular in Cincy now, with one-gallon pots going for upwards of $15 each.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Nat,

I can't resist, I just bought a clone machine This one.

If it works, I can pay for it in the spring by selling plants, then in 2010 make a bunch of money. I can't sell (as far as I understand) a knockout rose bush as a clone of a specific plant (due to some kind of patents) but I can sell a clone of "this knock-out rose bush growing in my yard."

These plants are extremely popular in Cincy now, with one-gallon pots going for upwards of $15 each.

Mike
There is no doubt that it'll work, Mike. A couple of simple tricks for you; don't use clorinated water. Also, for hard wood cuttings like roses, make a slight cut through the outside of the cuttings for the two inches at the bottom. The roots will grow from these cuts.

Also, take the entire 15 days. You can yank them out at 10 days with roots and yes, they'll grow, but if you wait the eitire 15 days, the root growth is much better and the plant will grow much better when transplanted.

Good luck to you man. I know you'll have fun with it. I love mine. I take cuttings from stuff all over the state. "Ohhhh, look at that cool bush".......out comes the pocket snip....into the cloner, 15 days, my own bush.

Chiliac said:
Seconded, it's great. A rooting hormone is not necessary when growing cuttings, but this stuff certainly helps you getting better results!

Cheers brother nice to no someone else used it to ;)

Back