• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Jalapeño and Garlic Mash.

I hope to just do a 30 day ferment with this and have it ready for New Year. I have no idea what to expect from it, but I guess I`ll find out.

3 lbs Jalapeños,
2 heads of Garlic,
Salt, 3.6% by weight. 

Plus 4 teaspoons of the liquid part of a fermented sauce I stopped today, after 6 weeks of very active fermentation. That sauce was fermented using the contents of a capsule of Culturelle probiotic. It`s only active component is Lactobacillus rhamnosus. 

SL3 said:
Looks and sounds really good, Nigel. No vinegar? Let me know how it comes out.
No Steve, no vinegar.

It`s getting the fermentation treatment, which produces Lactic acid and CO2 from the sugars, so it`s largely an anaerobic fermentation. 

I processed my first ever ferment this afternoon and it tastes really good. The flavors are different to a vinegar-based sauce. 

Now that's something I would like. Tried making a quick Tabasco this summer for the wife, because she loves that vinegar taste. Didn't come out as I had planned, but she liked it anyways. It separated so you had to shake it before every use. Me I prefer non-vinegar sauces, and there aren't two flavors that go better together than Jalapeno and Garlic. I hope its a winner so I can try your method later. 

Just to note, I tried fermenting a jar of chopped garlic and it did not ferment one bit. Left it almost a month, used a starter, incubated... the works. Tested the pH this weekend when I wanted to use it and it was completely neutral... I also never saw any action. Somebody, I think maybe RL, said that garlic has some anti microbial properties.

Heisenberg said:
Just to note, I tried fermenting a jar of chopped garlic and it did not ferment one bit. Left it almost a month, used a starter, incubated... the works. Tested the pH this weekend when I wanted to use it and it was completely neutral... I also never saw any action. Somebody, I think maybe RL, said that garlic has some anti microbial properties.
Thanks for mentioning that! 

So far, after 5 days, the sauce is full of bubbles and seems pretty active. I wonder what concentration of garlic is needed to kill off the Lacto?

After 5 days of ferment this is how it looks,

Heisenberg said:

that's correct, the organosulfur compounds found in garlic are antimicrobial. there are investigations being done to try and use these compounds in foods as alternatives to traditional preservatives. 

not sure what the concentration would be to keep the micros at bay. however, it seems like a lot of folks here use a fairly substantial amount of garlic in their ferments and the ferments still go off pretty good, so it seems like as long as you have a higher concentration of the carbohydrate source, you're probably OK. especially given Nigel's ferment here which only has jalapenos for the sugar source (maybe some comes from the garlic too, i'm not sure), and peppers aren't generally a great sugar source for lacto.

Check the references of the website quoted below I bet there is data http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21729
according to this NYU site:
"There is no question that raw garlic can kill a wide variety of microorganisms by direct contact, including fungi, bacteria, viruses, and protozoa.79,80 A double-blind study reported in 1999 found that a cream made from the garlic constituent ajoene was just as effective for fungal skin infections as the standard drug terbinafine. 81 These findings may explain why garlic was traditionally applied directly to wounds in order to prevent infection (but keep in mind that it can burn the skin). Nevertheless, there is no real evidence that taking garlic orally can kill organisms throughout the body. Thus, it's not an antibiotic in the usual sense. It's more of an antiseptic.
Oral garlic could theoretically offer benefits against organisms in the stomach or intestines because it can come into direct contact with them. However, there is only the scantiest evidence as yet that it works for any specific infection of this type. 82-84 For example, despite test tubeevidence that garlic can kill Helicobacter pylori (the cause of ulcers), studies in people have not been promising. 85,86"

Interesting topic, had no idea...

Nigel said:
No Steve, no vinegar.

It`s getting the fermentation treatment, which produces Lactic acid and CO2 from the sugars, so it`s largely an anaerobic fermentation. 

I processed my first ever ferment this afternoon and it tastes really good. The flavors are different to a vinegar-based sauce. 

What is the pH?  How would you describe the taste compared to a cooked, vinegar-based sauce?

Thanks for revisiting the garlic issue in ferments. I only go 4 cloves, now, per 1/2 gallon, as example, minced in ferment as goofed with one this year, added a tad too much garlic, plenty of sugars, and it was sl-oooow. It eventually took off when when restraint is called for . . .

I processed this ferment today, 6 1/2 weeks after starting. 

I added the following,

juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup cider vinegar
juice and zest of 4 sweet limes (limon dulce). These are sweeter than an orange, in case you haven`t had one.
2 cups frozen Soursop pulp.

I think the problem with Heisenburg's garlic ferment was that it was pure garlic, remind me if it wasn't brother. I just ran a successful ferment that has 2.5 pounds of garlic in it. The reason that mine worked and his didn't would be the additional sugars in mine, JMHO. If you google it you'll find that there's only 0.03 grams of sugars in a clove of garlic. That's like saying there's none. The successful garlic ferments have had additional ingredients in them that gave the lacto enough food to eat. This thread is about a Jalapeno and Garlic ferment. Peppers are low in sugars also but there are enough in there that a slow ferment can be done. Again, JMHO after a little research. 

Nigel said:
I processed this ferment today, 6 1/2 weeks after starting. 

I added the following,

juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup cider vinegar
juice and zest of 4 sweet limes (limon dulce). These are sweeter than an orange, in case you haven`t had one.
2 cups frozen Soursop pulp.

Soursop??  Am I the only one who has never heard of this fruit?  I Googled it, and came up with this, below.  Nigel will love it.
http://www.sott.net/article/242555-Soursop-Fruit-Kills-Cancer-100-Fold-better-Than-Chemotherapy

Hi Jim.

Soursop is closely related to Cherimoya and Cherimoya is my favorite fruit, so I`ve looked into growing it and a variety of it`s relatives, including Soursop. To get fruit, the flowers need to be hand-pollinated and the trees grow very slowly, so they aren`t easy ones for the backyard!

That is a carefully worded "article" above.

Cancer Research UK said that, according to the manufacturer, soursop is the active ingredient that has anti-cancer activity. It did NOT say that it had anti cancer activity. In fact the person perpetrating this scam was arrested and all his pills confiscated, as they have never been tested on cancer patients and do not meet the standards required for someone to say they have any activity on any disease. 

Back