• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeno hybrids

Hey guys quick question here... The Jalapeno is the worlds most popular pepper yet there dosent seem to be very many crosses or hybrids like we see with habaneros or bhuts or tscorps. unless im completly blind and im missing some secret under ground jalapeno market, does anyone no why this pepper hasent more colors like chocolate or yellow/orange?? or crosses like jalalokia, or jalapanero??

one of the big reason i think is because there is not much diversity in that particulat species, many of the exsiting true form species are quite similar really except fo size, the differences come a little with the hybrids, the chinense group has more variation within the theme

you can take for instance JOLORO which is a Jalapeno crosed with the SANTA FE GRANDE CHILE which is yellow and the gene that JOLORO gets it yellow from before it turns red, it actually starts out whitish yellow then turns red
im not sure if the purple Jalapeno is a hybrid or not but from what i gather there is now a chocolate version too

i hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

Check out the chileman's database
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=jalapeno&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

Check out the chileman's database
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=jalapeno&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

I actually have some Jalapeno. jolokia hybrid

give me about 3 months and i will post ppics thier just little chillilings right now.

these happened by accident. I threw some jalapeno seeds in a pot with the jolokia and guess what plant polinated my jalapenos that grew????????

If any of you want once this hybrid plants start producing i will more than happily send you some seeds or whole peppers.

What kind of jolokia, and how do you know for sure it was the "jolokia" that crossed with the jalapeno? Sorry to interigate the newbie, I'm just curious :lol:

What kind of jolokia, and how do you know for sure it was the "jolokia" that crossed with the jalapeno? Sorry to interigate the newbie, I'm just curious :lol:

was thinking the same thing Derek...

and something to think about is stabalization of the cross

I keep my PLants segregated to prevent cross pollination and hybridization.

WEll the big plant in the pot is a Naga Jolokia/ Morich jolokia. Its that hot mofo from India...........

N i threw some jalapeno seeds I got from a jalapeno from the grocery store.
They all grew..... they flowered. N im guessing the pollinators hit the flowers on the jolokia first then went straight for the little jalapenos.

So there you go.

Its easy to guess that the closest plant pollinated the jalapeno, but anything within a mile and a half could have been the pollinator. How do you keep your plants isolated?
There is also a good chance that your store bought jalapenos were hybrids to start with

Its easy to guess that the closest plant pollinated the jalapeno, but anything within a mile and a half could have been the pollinator. How do you keep your plants isolated?
There is also a good chance that your store bought jalapenos were hybrids to start with

I will take a picture of my garden

n post it up you will see how they're segregated.

I am going to take the little chilis of the Jalapeno and put them in cups labled

and let them grow inside the house by the window.

I will have to get back to you all in months to come.

n any other hybrids that could have occured

I am going to put them with other hybrids and let them hybridize to thier hearts content.

Sorry I don't understand what it is you're trying to accomplish, please explain? You want to cross unknown hybrids with other hybrids?

basically im going to put them off to the side, just to keep them away from my pure straing chilis

I have no reason to just throw them away, they still produce chili

why not eatem?

I may even give some away.

I may even come accross an interesting hybrid thats worth making a new straing of chili out of.

heres pics u tell me!

The jalapenos are in the same pot as the big jolokia
not to mention thier surrounded by jolokia in a neighboring pot.

Just turned the pot front wards so you can see the jalapenos growing next to the jolokia.
IMG00123-20110901-1642.jpg

Is the picture of you deck with plants on it your garden? And when you say segregated, do you mean just in different corners of your deck?

Is the picture of you deck with plants on it your garden? And when you say segregated, do you mean just in different corners of your deck?
thier all seperated. I would plant them in the ground but unfortunately, we have cold winters in the Atlanta area. 20-30 degrees.

I've been re growing seeds from WebOHairs Jalabanero for 4 seasons and have been getting 3 different pods from each generation.
This year they are colored like Piment Elisa-Black and red when ripe.
The plants I got seeds from for my growout were grown inside and hand pollinated from the same plants buds.

I doubt it's stable...

IM004829.jpg

heres pics u tell me!

The jalapenos are in the same pot as the big jolokia
not to mention thier surrounded by jolokia in a neighboring pot.

Just turned the pot front wards so you can see the jalapenos growing next to the jolokia.
IMG00123-20110901-1642.jpg
1. I don't see any C. chinense plants in the picture.
2. You couldn't tell if the plant was cross-pollinated until you harvest its seeds and grow them. where are the hybridized plants?
3. That, dear sir, is not separation.

1. I don't see any C. chinense plants in the picture.
2. You couldn't tell if the plant was cross-pollinated until you harvest its seeds and grow them. where are the hybridized plants?
3. That, dear sir, is not separation.

I purposely havent separated those ones yet. I want them to cross breed first. then I will plant the jalapenos in thier own pot.

You want everything to cross? why? You will not know what crossed with what and end up with one crazy pool of genes which will take many plants and many years to stabalize. Intentional crosses are done much differently, with a specific goal in mind and proper isolation techniques

You want everything to cross? why? You will not know what crossed with what and end up with one crazy pool of genes which will take many plants and many years to stabalize. Intentional crosses are done much differently, with a specific goal in mind and proper isolation techniques

this was unintenional. I just threw some Jalapeno seeds in the pot and most of them grew.

But since one the guys on the forum wants a jolokia jalapeno cross. Who am I to deny breeding a hybrid chili.

im curious of the heat, and flavor it will pack!

Back