• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeno hybrids

this was unintenional. I just threw some Jalapeno seeds in the pot and most of them grew.

But since one the guys on the forum wants a jolokia jalapeno cross. Who am I to deny breeding a hybrid chili.

im curious of the heat, and flavor it will pack!

I suggest you do some research on pepper breeding and isolation, you appear to be doing it completely wrong

I think you're assuming that a specific flower pollinated by pollen from a different plant will produce a pod that's a hybrid of the two said plants.. It won't. The seed you gather from a the pod however, will be potentially be cross bred.
Have a read around the forums about cross breeding and pollination.

papadaca, you just can't wish for something and it come true when dealing with hybridization of capsicum plants...as has been said, it is a long process

IMO you need at least 7 generations of breeding and back crossing to stabalize a hybrid...

just because you plant jalapeno seeds in the same pot as you plant other seeds and they grow next to one another doesn't mean you will get a cross...it probably will produce a cross because of the close proximity of the plants, but you just can't be sure...and if you get a cross, you won't know it until the next grow season because the cross pollination this year will NOT affect the looks/heat/color of the pod. And another thing, you have male and female parts to a flower so you can have the pollen from one plant on the ovary of the other or vice versa and this also makes a difference in what traits the cross exhibit...

Do you understand this?

We had some volunteer plants in the garden this year that we let grow out. They turned out to be a cross of jalapeno and cayenne. The pods looked like really long, curved jalapenos. After picking a few ripe ones we ripped the plants out of the ground. Honestly the worst chili I have ever tasted, bitter and no heat. It didn't seem even worth the effort to try back-crossing.

I suggest you do some research on pepper breeding and isolation, you appear to be doing it completely wrong

I know its the seeds that will be different, and not the pod. I discovered this when my thai chilis died last year and I planted thier seeds thinking they were thai dragons.

Back