• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc JalapenoGate

JalapenoGate.
I bought some "Jalapeno" plants this spring that turned out to be " Hot Banana".
Has anybody experienced this.

Seems to be a nation wide problem.

Hotboyinhell

😂😂😂
2FC20F8F-2D6C-49CC-BD1A-11D2E50E4DAA.jpeg

It would be interesting to know how many @ the Hot pepper buy Pepper starts.
I would think think most of us start are own for many reasons.

Can't find the varieties I want to grow at local outlets.
Never find plants for sale as healthy as my own starts.
Prices for starts are to expensive compared to seeds, soil, sun aka lights.

Most importantly, I must be there for the whole show, from seed to when they die it's the miracle I'm there for.

Last edited:
We have experienced wrong grows for years, I wonder why this was such a big thing this year. Do we have more new growers than ever maybe? Because of demand for plants (which I love, everyone grow chiles, please and thank you) maybe seeds and strains just got thrown out there to satisfy demand?

No one gave a crap about us fifteen years ago but suddenly we have this proliferation of false plants. It's just curious to me.

Last edited:
We have experienced wrong grows for years, I wonder why this was such a big thing this year. Do we have more new growers than ever maybe? Because of demand for plants (which I love, everyone grow chiles, please and thank you) maybe seeds and strains just got thrown out there to satisfy demand?

No one gave a crap about us fifteen years ago but suddenly we have this proliferation of false plants. It's just curious to me.
There was definitely a boom of new home gardeners as a consequence of the pandemic. I could see the increased demand leading to cut corners and higher chances of mix-ups. No idea and no data to support if that increased demand has actually kept up enough to account for this year however. It's also possible more inexperienced growers simply means more chances for user error and therefore more reporting of issues.

I've heard rumors that there was likely a mix up at a large seed supplier, but haven't been able to find any reliable confirmation.

My "bell pepper" seeds ended up being some sort of wax and some spherical pepper I can't identify yet haha. But I bought them cheap at a hardware store and didn't expect quality control.
20230925_144219.jpg
20230925_144210.jpg

There was definitely a boom of new home gardeners as a consequence of the pandemic. I could see the increased demand leading to cut corners and higher chances of mix-ups. No idea and no data to support if that increased demand has actually kept up enough to account for this year however. It's also possible more inexperienced growers simply means more chances for user error and therefore more reporting of issues.

I've heard rumors that there was likely a mix up at a large seed supplier, but haven't been able to find any reliable confirmation.

My "bell pepper" seeds ended up being some sort of wax and some spherical pepper I can't identify yet haha. But I bought them cheap at a hardware store and didn't expect quality control.
20230925_144219.jpg
20230925_144210.jpg
Little Cherry type, it looks like. Those can be fun! 🌶️🌶️🌶️

Back