• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jalapenos growing very slow

First time poster here, but I've read this awesome forum for about a month. Anyways I've got a Jalapeno plant that's about 2.5 years old.  The most peppers I've ever had were about 15 at one time, but usually I've got about 3. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.   It's probably in about a 3 gallon pot. Basically I've got the same exact conditions for my Thai peppers and purira peppers and they grow like crazy.  I've put seaweed fertilizer, and some phosphorus rich fertilizer and nothing seems to be helping. Any help would be appreciated!

If it's been in that same 3 gallon pot it's whole life, its roots and the soil probably aren't in the best shape. Get a bigger pot (5-7 gallons) fill it with some good soil (ProMix or MetroMix or whatever) with fertilizer mixed in (TomatoTone + bone meal works for me). Dump the plant out of its old pot and bust up the root ball - rip apart all the girdling roots around the outside and put in its new home.
     Depending on what proportion of the old root ball was lost, you might need to prune the crown back a bit, too. It will be shocked for a bit and grow slowly, but it will like its new home eventually and pay you back with lots more fruit.

Seeds like Jalapenos are just slow-growers. Here is my jalapeno, compared to a mushroom pepper
305594ba97e8ee832554c219a861228c.jpg
e6d5b9cbfde09cccfe180b8c6ca83a3d.jpg

Thats not the case for me at all, my jalapeno grow faster than most of my 20+ varietys.. but standing watet could have been the problem. Over water = root problems = plant problems

LordHill said:
Thats not the case for me at all, my jalapeno grow faster than most of my 20+ varietys.. but standing watet could have been the problem. Over water = root problems = plant problems
Same here,Jalapenos grow like weeds.
Definitely is a problem with your plant.

I just assumed I'd get as many blooms as I do on other peppers and it's rare that I get any blooms on my Jalapeno plant.  Just not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I did have to heavily prune about 4 months ago because it was losing nearly all of it's leaves, but after pruning the leaves came back.

Back