Jam/Preserve making question

I made a batch of strawberry chile jam today, but all the bits of fruit floated to the top of the jars. Now I have a really thick jam loaded with fruit on the top half of the jars, and jelly on the bottom half. I followed a basic recipe. It tastes fine, but does anyone know what I did wrong?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean they floated to the top... the top of what? Jam/preserves is all fruit, did you add juice and pectin or something? That would be jelly, so just asking.

I will have to dig up the recipe, but yes, the ingredients were strawberries, chiles, sugar, lemon juice, and liquid pectin. I guess I assumed the difference between jelly and jam was straining the pulp or not straining the pulp. I was probably trying to make jam with a jelly recipe. LOL

Yeah that's jelly it has pectin and fruit juice, preserves (jam) is usually just fruit and sugar.

Pectin acts kinda like a gelatin, it's possible you did not stir this enough to get it well incorporated, or your pectin ratio is off.

How long did you cook it?

I brought it to a rolling boil for one minute, then added the pectin and did another rolling boil for one minute. Then skimmed off the little bit of foam, and poured it into jars.

edit: Then processed in a water bath for 10 minutes.

After jelly or jam is boiled hard, you remove from heat and skim and stir alternately for 5 minutes to help prevent the fruit from floating.

I guess this would be jam technically since it has fruit, and jelly only has juice. But semantics. And does not matter.

Musky - when I make jam, I usually put the fruit and the peppers in the blender to keep the consistency the same. I like to combine 2 recipes on the Ball pectin insert - fruit and jalapenos. And I do add pectin to the jam. And, of course a bhut or two! It sounds like you make your jam the same way I do - can't wait to make another batch with fresh chiles.

After jelly or jam is boiled hard, you remove from heat and skim and stir alternately for 5 minutes to help prevent the fruit from floating.

I guess this would be jam technically since it has fruit, and jelly only has juice. But semantics. And does not matter.

I was thinking maybe stirring it for a while and letting it slightly set up before jarring it might help, but I figured it wouldn't matter much given the 10 minute water bath. I'll have to try that on the next batch though (and I will probably JayT jam making a little bit too). Thanks!

Musky - when I make jam, I usually put the fruit and the peppers in the blender to keep the consistency the same. I like to combine 2 recipes on the Ball pectin insert - fruit and jalapenos. And I do add pectin to the jam. And, of course a bhut or two! It sounds like you make your jam the same way I do - can't wait to make another batch with fresh chiles.

I ran the fruit and peppers through a food processor before cooking it. Everything was chopped up pretty fine. Have you ever had the fruit float to the top? Thanks!

Your original process recipe sounds right. I've seen comments about gently turning/shaking the jars after processing to get the bits throughout the sauce.

without gettin too tchnical, and working on the tablt, there is a difference of JAM with pulp and JELLY which is gereally clear.

If you use a jam (with pulp) recipe from the pectin box, you can pretty much substitute with what they post. Jams/Jellys seem to be about measurements. Use common sense.

Musky- I've never had fruit float to the top, probably because the blender just pulverizes everything, not just chopping the fruit, etc.

The way you described your process is exactly the way the Ball recipes ask for. Do you use powdered or liquid pectin?

Like salsa lady says, it's all about exact measurements. I've made too many mistakes thinking I could substitute one way for another. Peaches are my least favorite - it seems the jam never sets correctly.

Making jam with peaches has been my frustration - until this year.  Using powdered pectin has been a success.  No liquid pectin for these guys.

This summer, along with the fresh peaches, I added fresh raspberries and of course, either bhut jolokia or 7 pot Red pepper(s).

Another one was strawberry margarita with red bhuts.

Another was peach margarita with peach bhuts.

Just as long as the pH is low and you follow your recipes exactly, then you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Whenever I used peaches, I used the powdered.  For all else, I used liquid.  It all depends on the exact recipe.

Powdered even with peaches and raspberries.

I am by no means an expert at this but the few times I've made pepper jelly or any jelly for that matter, I could never get it to set right with liquid pectin. Ball Classic pectin powder is the only thing that I can use with any form of success. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I guess my point is, the classic pectin powder is the most "forgiving" of the pectins I've used so far.

i would have to disagree about the jelly = pectin, jam = fruit and sugar. not all fruits have pectin or enough pectin in them so you either add lemon or pectin (in the UK we can get jam sugar which has added pectin already) to get them to set, doesn't matter how long you boil it for without one of these for berries like straberries it won't set and if you over boil it you've got toffee! a really good fruit to put into jams for fruit with low pectin is apple as it's loaded with it's own pectin and your jam will still taste like the main fruit 

Yeah I tried to correct myself in a later post. :)

Jam can have pectin too. A lot don't though. Jelly always does since it needs it to "gel," i.e. jelly. Juice plus pectin = gel. Jam and preserves are not as gelatinous and sometimes fruit only.

You could also use these terms interchangeabley with no problem so whatevs lol.

How's that jelly musky? Been awhile. :lol:

lol just realised the original post is really old lol what a plonker! i guess you guys over the 'pond' have more jelly's than us Brits, i always thought US jelly was the same as a UK jam but you've educated me there, yet over here in spain they have fruit marmalades which are nothing like orange marmalade or jam, more like a fruit butter

Damn. Now that looks tasty!

I use pepper jams all the time. From french toast to even spring rolls.

bubba82 said:
lol just realised the original post is really old lol what a plonker! i guess you guys over the 'pond' have more jelly's than us Brits, i always thought US jelly was the same as a UK jam but you've educated me there, yet over here in spain they have fruit marmalades which are nothing like orange marmalade or jam, more like a fruit butter

I am sure I did not educate you I often talk out of my ass. But that is my general understanding of jelly. ;)

The jellies I really don't like are pepper jellies w/o any fruit or fruit juice in them. It is a clear gel with pepper bits in it. I really can't stand that kind. I understand they want to make a pure pepper jelly with no other flavors but I don't think it's possible and to have it taste good. That clear gel is horrible. Someone needs to perfect that!

Back