• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Jamaican and Trinidad Scotch Bonnets the same?

I have both growing and was wondering if they're the same thing. I imagine if they are indeed different, it would be a minor thing but was just curious. FYI, I got the seeds from different sources so it very well could be just the name preference of whoever sold the seeds . . . TIA

Good question. I get the impression that Scotch Bonnets are Jamaican in origin, but other Carribean Islands have a bonnet of their own that may or may not have the "bonnet" shape. I don`t know if that is merely marketing, but there are a lot of very knowledgable people on THP.

For myself, I have bought Scotch Bonnet seeds from Jim Duffy and I found some "Heirloom Red and Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnet" seeds on ebay. All I can say is that each of the seeds produced seedlings that look like C.chinense to me. There are also "squash" peppers that look more flat, but are also sold as Scotch Bonnets and can be either C.chinense OR C.annuum.

Help!!!

the bonnets are always confusing lookin on the web a lot of people are calling habs or large habs a bonnet, and there are the jamaican mushroom squash and even bishops crown red being called bonnets google image scotch bonnets and see whats is being called a bonnet LOL i quess a true bonnet would be red and shaped like a Scotch bonnet hat right,,? as far as jamaican vs trinidad i think jamaican is the original, but the species could be all over the Carribian,,

I agree that they are not the same and adding to the confusion is, depending who you might get them from the may not even look like a bonnet and still be one as the Jamacian scotch bonnet was almost selected to a point that it no longer looked like a bonnet. It took a few deadicated growers to get the bonnet shape back into the scotch bonnet.
So at some point you might run into some one that does have a scotch bonnet that produces pods that look like habs rather than the true bonnet shape. Now the question is, is a bonnet that is not shaped like a bonnet really a bonnet. If CMPMAN1974 was to chime in he could tell you a lot about the different shapes, colors and acual geografical genetics of the scotch bonnets, at least I beleive he can.

I grew some Tobago scotch bonnets last season.  They are very different looking than their Jamaican cousins. More elongated and similar to a madame Jeanette. Don't taste near as good either.  The ones I grew were red and had a fairly bland taste. It was similar to a habanero but not as tasty.  I won't be growing them again this year.

willard3 said:
Both chiles are going to be landrace varieties because different growers in different islands are going to save seed for different reasons.

Parents are the same, children are not after a couple of generations.
As a bonnet enthusiast this I believe is the definitive answer ... thank you Willard3

i have red & yellow bonnets seed from pods imported from the Dominican Republic. this year i am growing red bonnets from pods i seeded from a market in the cancun, mexico area. so far they are the strongest of my seedlings.

i don't know if the D/R original seeds came from CARDI or other commercial seed supplier for the caribbean region nor do i know if the mexican pods were imported or grown in mexico.

Burning Colon said:
i have red & yellow bonnets seed from pods imported from the Dominican Republic. this year i am growing red bonnets from pods i seeded from a market in the cancun, mexico area. so far they are the strongest of my seedlings.

i don't know if the D/R original seeds came from CARDI or other commercial seed supplier for the caribbean region nor do i know if the mexican pods were imported or grown in mexico.
Last season I grew a Yellow DR bonnet from Buckeye Pepper Company sourced by Christopher Phillips through a friend for them and a red DR bonnet Aji Jamiquino from a forum member AZ1000 ... hope your bonnets taste as good as these

Back