Jamaican Mushroom...Uses?

My Jamaican Mushrooms are ripening.  Would I use these in the same manner as Scotch Bonnets?  Are the JMs suited towards fruity(mango, pineapple) sauces like the Scotch Bonnets?  Thanks.

I had a yellow Jamaican mushroom sliced up in an omelette Monday morning. So far that's the only 1 I've tried, but it was delicious!

i got some drying out.  i cut the seeds out and dried them flat.  I also use them to marinade chicken with.  They go well in a wet jerk marinade.  Would like to make a powder out of mine this year.

Jamaican mushrooms, jalapenos, roasted pineapple, pineapple juice, roasted garlic, lime juice, sea salt.

Blend it all up. Serve as fresh salsa with chips.

just about anything you would use a not so hot annum for. Stuff it to make poppers, dry it for a milder powder, eat it raw, pickle it with the jalapenos and banana peppers, ingredient in salsa,  et.al. 

Right now, the only ones I have harvested  and haven't eaten raw or in salsa have been dried. Later in the year, I'll make an annum powder mix with them and some other annums. 

They lack the typical strong chinense taste of SB so modify your recipes accordingly.

Cya

Datil

The Hot Pepper said:
Jamaican mushrooms, jalapenos, roasted pineapple, pineapple juice, roasted garlic, lime juice, sea salt.Blend it all up. Serve as fresh salsa with chips.
Just thought I'd report back to say I followed this recipe, sans the jalapenos, and it is a killer! Between this recipe, and stuffing these pods, I have reason to triple my JM plants next season. A great pod!

They are a great pepper if you're not searching for just heat. We use them fresh on sandwiches and for stuffing. They may also make their way into some powder but haven't as of yet.

They look great but I'm not a huge fan of tye taste. They are kind of blah lol I was disappointed when I tried my first one a few days ago

Roguejim said:
Just thought I'd report back to say I followed this recipe, sans the jalapenos, and it is a killer! Between this recipe, and stuffing these pods, I have reason to triple my JM plants next season. A great pod!

Glad you like it. Just a variation of some salsas I've done.

Back