• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

I noticed some mite damage on my Monzano so I whipped up a batch of my home made mite killer. I had pretty good luck with this type of stuff over the summer (commercial product) and the ingredient list was so simple I didn't want to pay for it anymore. Free from teh kitchen sure beats !0.00 at Home Depot.

According to what I have read, the canola oil will kill just about everything from mites to aphids and everything in between since it essentially smothers them. The soap does double duty. It dries out the bugs exoskeleton to help kill them and it also keeps the canola emulsified.

I did keep the light off until the plants were dry. I wasn't sure if the light would be powerful to burn the oil covered leaves or not, but I didn't want to take any chances.

20131202_195710.jpg

I sprayed a few days ago and so far so good. I see tiny new growth on the monzano and don't see any new damage. Time will tell.

Mites!

Hate them bastiges!

Your recipe should do the trick, I use wettable sulfur on the ones in the dirt, cuz they're stuck in the sun.

Update time with a few family photos

Monzanos. Guess which one had the mites :rolleyes:   The new growth is looking good though. 
20131209_195015.jpg

Smokin' Ed's Carolina reapers. 
20131209_193558.jpg

Red Rocotos

20131209_193641.jpg

Indian Carbon Bhuts

20131209_193827.jpg

Naga Morarch

20131209_193853.jpg

Mother paper lantern and her baby clone (several weeks old and still alive, maybe this one will set roots). 

20131209_193958.jpg

Mother bhut jolokai and her clone. 

20131209_194039.jpg

The whole ghost pepper family. 

20131209_194926.jpg

Other than the mites on two plants, things are going good in the grow room this winter. Not all the chinense have poped yet, but they are all planted. Soon the annuums and bacs will be sown too. Maybe a month or so. 

Yeah, the monzano with mites took a good hit, but all the new growth is popping nice and green. No more dying grow tips. I have a red thai that took a hit too, but it isn't really putting out new growth yet, but I think it is okay since the stupid plant is putting out flower buds...

Just a random thought as I look in the freezer and plan for next year: I still have a Sheeet load of superhot peppers from 2013. Mostly yellow brains, scorpions and bhuts. The habs and my 'not 7-pot yellow' (hab heat level) are plentiful but are getting consumed regularly- looks like I planned those about right. The Tabascos will get used up in powders and sauces soon so I gaged those about right too. I have no annuums in the freezer at all. None. Now, I have 1/2 dozen jars of pickled annuums and a few ounces of mixed annuum powder, but I clearly didn't plant enough of the milder to medium peppers. that will change this year since 1/2 of my family thinks jalapenos are spicy.

All looks well Jeff, I'm impressed with the Pubes. I'm struggling trying to get them up and running.

Wishing you continued success!

Damn, outta likes, or there woulda been several more.....

I'm nil for hydro knowledge.....and with my schedule, I believe that would be asking for disaster. As to the ferment, isn't there an acidity threshold for lactobac's-ie one that would kill em? ...just a shot in the dark....
Now I find myself hungry for sweet sour hot kraut and sausage.....

Have a good one -
DJ

Dinner time. Time to work on some fish and chips. 

20131211_173653.jpg

Other than the obvious ingredients, we have my not 7pot yellow dried peppers and my annuum mix of powder and picklese.

Some roasted potatoes dusted in the annuum mix, oil and some salt. 

20131211_175538.jpg

Fresh made baguettes right out of the oven. 

20131211_190030.jpg

coated the cod with egg whites then Panko and roasted at 425 for 10 minutes. heavily dusted it with not 7 pot powder salt and pepper, some american cheese, lettuce and picklese. 

20131211_191737.jpg

Bam!. 
Now the family doesn't all eat the same types of food so I did the same thing for chicken and veggie patties, minus the pepper powder for some of them. 

More than awesome, Jeff H!  Your combination of hydro and
soil should produce some real winners.   Your flood and drain
table is killer - what are it's measurements?  

Looking forward to pods!

Bodeen said:
Looking good there.  Hope you killed off them critters!!!  

So far, so good. I looked at the monzano last night and it has quite a bit of new growth sprouting out and it all looks mite free. Time will tell. I have plenty more spray.

PaulG said:
More than awesome, Jeff H!  Your combination of hydro and
soil should produce some real winners.   Your flood and drain
table is killer - what are it's measurements?  

Looking forward to pods!

Thanks Paul. The table is only 2'x2' at the inside base. I should be able to have 9 medium sized plants in there once they all get bigger this winter. For now while the pepper plants are smaller, I have about 1/2 the space filled up with some fast growing lettuce, cabbage and spices. I should be harvesting them in Jan right about the time the peppers will need more room.

The flood and drain table is definitely the way to go for keeping plants alive during the winter. even lower maintenance than soil. The timer floods the table twice a day, and when the plants are small, I only change the reservoir every 3 weeks or so. 10 days to 14 days when the plants are larger though and need more nutes.

There won't be long to wait for pods in that room. I saw a thai pepper or two just forming last night and the ghost pepper and paper lanterns are flowering like crazy.

The table sounds like the ticket, Jeff!
A little more space, and i'd be going for
one of those!

Got home from work today and saw an unexpected gift from Hillbilly Jeff. Thanks a bunch Jeff and Merry Christmas. 

20131213_164501.jpg

The "blend" almost immediately ended up on some impromptu nachos. 
20131213_165332.jpg

Good stuff you got there. What is in it? I tasted a distinct chinense taste, probably habs of some sort since it wasn't scorching hot. Really nice powder you have there. 

Jeff H said:
Got home from work today and saw an unexpected gift from Hillbilly Jeff. Thanks a bunch Jeff and Merry Christmas. 

20131213_164501.jpg

The "blend" almost immediately ended up on some impromptu nachos. 
20131213_165332.jpg

Good stuff you got there. What is in it? I tasted a distinct chinense taste, probably habs of some sort since it wasn't scorching hot. Really nice powder you have there. 

It is a blend of all my peppers I picked at the end of the season.  Has a lot of bhuts and 7 burgundy in it.  Lots of non supers as well.  Glad you like the powder.  And it does have a ton of habs in it, like a mountain of white habs that was a complete chore to deseed.

Let's talk about the flood and drain table since there has been some interest. 

While the pepper plants have been small and since I am paying to run the light and the flood table, I thought I would fill the table with some fast growing veggies for  the next month or so. I'll pull them and eat them when I need the space for the peppers. 

Here is the whole table. As you can see, the peppers only take up about 1/2 of the space but this is about all the peppers that I want in the table or they will get too crowded when they get older and before I can get them outside in the spring. 
20131216_194237.jpg

First let's look at the veggies. on the top there is napa cabbage and clockwise is basil, bib lettuce and some romaine lettuce. The little leafy stuff on the bottom left is arugula and there is some rosemary and thyme. Careful eyes will see that there are a few more cubes in there. They are baby pepper plants that just sprouted. they will be transferred to soil in a week or so. 
20131216_193859.jpg

Naga Morarch
20131216_193919.jpg

Indian carbon
20131216_193935.jpg

Jigsaw
20131216_193950.jpg

Red Rocoto
20131216_194011.jpg

Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper
20131216_194026.jpg

Bhut Jolokai- it is so much darker than the rest. Almost looks like it is getting too much nitrogen except for tow things: 1, it isn't really growing much at all; 2, it is in the same water as the rest. Weird. It will be flowering soon. 
20131216_194054.jpg

Monzano
20131216_194113.jpg

The paper lantern that is getting so big that it is about to get it's first haircut since I trimmed it down in October. 
20131216_194127.jpg

That is 10 photos and that is about it for the hydro update for now. 

Jeff H said:
Let's talk about the flood and drain table since there has been some interest. 

While the pepper plants have been small and since I am paying to run the light and the flood table, I thought I would fill the table with some fast growing veggies for  the next month or so. I'll pull them and eat them when I need the space for the peppers. 

Here is the whole table. As you can see, the peppers only take up about 1/2 of the space but this is about all the peppers that I want in the table or they will get too crowded when they get older and before I can get them outside in the spring. 
20131216_194237.jpg

First let's look at the veggies. on the top there is napa cabbage and clockwise is basil, bib lettuce and some romaine lettuce. The little leafy stuff on the bottom left is arugula and there is some rosemary and thyme. Careful eyes will see that there are a few more cubes in there. They are baby pepper plants that just sprouted. they will be transferred to soil in a week or so. 
20131216_193859.jpg

Naga Morarch
20131216_193919.jpg

Indian carbon
20131216_193935.jpg

Jigsaw
20131216_193950.jpg

Red Rocoto
20131216_194011.jpg

Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper
20131216_194026.jpg

Bhut Jolokai- it is so much darker than the rest. Almost looks like it is getting too much nitrogen except for tow things: 1, it isn't really growing much at all; 2, it is in the same water as the rest. Weird. It will be flowering soon. 
20131216_194054.jpg

Monzano
20131216_194113.jpg

The paper lantern that is getting so big that it is about to get it's first haircut since I trimmed it down in October. 
20131216_194127.jpg

That is 10 photos and that is about it for the hydro update for now. 

Your hydro looks amazing Jeff. I love the deep, clean look the plants get. And from what I hear, production is going to be killer as well. About how old is that Carolina Reaper?

Keep it up, looking sharp!

Back