• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe jerk seasoning recipe

I watched a video of some tourists filming the chef at a jerk stand in Jamaica...he say "use de whole scalyON, MON".

Yeah but you say you want to use it two weeks later, and not hot bottle it?

I would not use anything leafy for that, and also I think a week might be max for freshness.

I just whip it up for the cooking day. And yeah most of the scallion is used.

I just made a quart of it...lol

I followed the recipe, but used 12 cloves of garlic, a large bunch of GRONS, 1/4 purple onion and a half yellow onion...high heat sautee'd in olive oil...and even a tomato at the end. I used a mix of fresh datils, foodarama bonnet, jamaican bonnet, and red savina. Shit's RAHTID HOT MON!!!

I have never heard of tomatoes or ketchup in jerk and several of you mentioned it. I have made my own a couple of times, but I have found that Tropical Pepper Co. makes a very good paste that I use on shrimp.

I added one tomato...I was seeking a certain flavor...and it delivered. I also think 1/2 cup of all spice berries was a misprint. I put in less than a quarter cup, and it was overpowering. I may freeze it, and use it as a base...so I can sautee garlic and onions and more chiles...then add some of this back to it.

I might be a little late jumping in here, but this is the recipe I use:

[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]2 bunches chopped scallions (6 per bunch)[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]2 cloves garlic [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]2-3 (or more :twisted:) Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers[/background][background=rgb(239, 239, 239)] [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]1 Tbsp salt [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]2 Tbsp ground Jamaican allspice [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]1 Tbsp light brown sugar [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]1 Tbsp lime juice [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]2 tsp dried thyme leaves [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]1 tsp ground nutmeg [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]1 tsp ground black pepper [/background]
[background=rgb(239, 239, 239)]1/2 tsp. cinnamon[/background]

I throw everything in my Ninja chopper thingy and blend until a paste forms. I usually double the recipe and store it in an airtight container. I've never gone more than a couple weeks without using all of it, but it will keep in the fridge at least that long with no problems. When it comes time to marinate the chicken (I prefer the leg quarters, marinated for a day or two), I spoon out what I'm going to use and mix in a little olive oil.
Next time I make a batch, I'm going to use fresh thyme.

Actually, the absence of any decent premade jerk seasoning in this area is the reason I started growing peppers in the first place. Nobody around here sells Scotch bonnet peppers, so I decided to grow my own. Now I have 9 different pepper varieties growing.

A quick (lazy?) way of making dry jerk rub is:
Cinnamon
Allspice
Brown sugar
Dried scotch bonnet powder
Salt
Ground/powdered thyme
Unmeasured; just eye it up right, some like it sweeter and some like it hotter...if you really want be lazy (and eat really good), put those ingredients in a crock pot with a beef roast. Enjoy.

An old Jamacian dude told me to try using blackstrapp molasses instead of brown sugar in jerk paste. He said that his mom always used molasses because it was cheaper than brown sugar. I like the depth that molasses adds, I stopped using soy sauce in my jerk since adding molasses.

Molasses makes it taste like BBQ sauce. Usually just a little sugar. And fresh herbs, not dried. The paste itself comes from a good pulsing of escallion, not a syrupy liquid.

Ya'll are making me want to jerk my meat this weekend...

Oh...THP...I made a big batch, and froze individual (1qt) "marinade baggies" for later use. Works really well. I sear the meat high grill on one side for a few minutes, flip, and lightly season with a dry jerk rub I made on the freshly seared side. Flip again, and repeat...then let the chackruns cook on the grill for another hour or more.

Actually, the absence of any decent premade jerk seasoning in this area is the reason I started growing peppers in the first place. Nobody around here sells Scotch bonnet peppers, so I decided to grow my own. Now I have 9 different pepper varieties growing.

Same here for the main reason of getting into growing chiles.

I have been jerking it for several years now. :hell: The recipe has evolved over time to fit my tastes and how I want it to attack the palettes of those who it is shared with. The fruity scotch bonnet flavor has always been the target as the mainstay for the underlying flavor, with the other spices and smoke playing their roles in the tasteful symphony that is Jamaican Jerk. ;) I have never bothered with letting it sit for an extended period of time mainly because I did not want to find out the hard way that it had gone bad.

While not traditionally put into Dry form, I have adopted this form in recent years for quick access to that flavor. That and it is excellent on Ribs! It is a good way to use up the dried chiles and powders made from yearly harvests.

I love to jerk it!

I have made it a billion different ways and it always comes out great. Ketchup, cumin, corriander? I don't think so ;) One of the keys to good jerk imo is to roast and grind the spices yourself. Night and day flavors. I have a bunch of frozen jerk chicken that will be eaten soon. My latest batch is a very minimalistic approach. Ginger, garlic, scallion, allspice, cinimin, canola oil, salt, pepper, scorpion peppers and dry thyme (didn't have fresh oh noes). I put it on a butterflied bell and evans bird, it's hangin out in my freezer just begging to be defrosted.

My favorite is jerked ribs. For those I like to use lots of lime juice and some soy sauce. Let that bad boy marinate for a day or 3. I broil it because I live in a condo w/ no grill :( One would think that st. louis ribs would be tough from broiling them good and hot. But no they are practically fall off the bone tender from sitting in that jerk. My favorite way to eat ribs but you better wash those hands after :)

Back