• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Jerkin' Chicken!

I usually spatchcock the bird,then place it in a folding fish grill,Then wire it closed.Its much easier to flip and all the seasoning paste doesn't fall off fron moving the bird around.Something about the bird being stationary seems to help retain moisture also.Mine is a fairly cheap utinsel from a local hardware store.It is also easier to force the marinade (paste) under the skin all the way to the legs if the bird is whole.

I was gonna mention to just put a screen over the top of the grill to catch the seasoning but scoville's idea sounds better.

Looks like most of the jerk fell off the chicken.

Would the lemon juice partially cook the chicken marinating it that long?

Also, do you use the marinade the chicken has been sitting in? I always thought you were supposed to toss gin soaked bar room queens er I mean marinade that has been hanging with a chicken.

Thanks.

patrick said:
Would the lemon juice partially cook the chicken marinating it that long?

Also, do you use the marinade the chicken has been sitting in? I always thought you were supposed to toss gin soaked bar room queens er I mean marinade that has been hanging with a chicken.

Thanks.

Turns out I didn't marinate as long as I said. I ended up cooking on Friday instead.
Nah, you don't have to toss bar room queens as long as you cook 'em enough.

Back