• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jessxcr's 2012 Grow Log

Well. Here we go again. Last year I had ordered seeds from Asias Garden off of eBay and they ended up being crosses at best. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Thanks to all the people here who helped me get on my way last year. I learned pretty much everything from this site and people were very helpful.

This year I got all my seeds but the Red Bhut from Hippy Seed Co. The Red Bhuts came from NMSU. I just started germinating today. I decided to scale it back a bit this year. I started about 20 seeds but will probably only keep 6 and give the rest to friends. Here is what I am growing:

Red Bhut
Chocolate Bhut
Douglah
Butch T

IMAG0180.jpg

15 days later I have my first Butch T poking his head out.

IMAG0189.jpg

Also, here is a pic of my setup. It's kind of crude but I found this shiny insulated stuff at work. We got it in with some product that needed to be kept refrigerated so I figured I could use it somehow for my peppers.

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

All I am using is a cheap T12 shop light which seemed to work well to get my plants started last year. I have the heat mat sitting on top with the ones waiting to sprout. As they sprout they go in here. Right now it seems to be about 72 degrees in there. I will have to close up the bottom somehow but I still need it to be easily accessible. We just got a new cat and I don't want that damn thing tearing up my plants, or I will have to do to same to it.

They will all be going outside in 5 gallon buckets again this year so I think this setup should be ok until they are ready for outside..

All of the Red Bhuts I got from NMSU this year got mold growing on the seeds in the little plastic cups. The same thing happened with them last year. I had a few left over still so I soaked them in a peroxide solution overnight hoping this would get rid of anything that was causing it. Nope, same thing happened, so I will have no red bhuts this year.

The bright side was I was able to start some Yellow and Red 7 Pods because of this. I also had some chocolate bhuts that got moldy on me so I threw them and started a fresh batch on Friday the 13th! That's when I started the 7 Pods also. I'm not superstitious so I am not worried about it.

Ok, so that dumb ass cat got to my first 2 that sprouted so I added some velcro to my rig so she can't get at them anymore. It's worked so far. I now have 3 Butch T's and 1 7 Pod that have popped. Just waiting on the rest still.

IMAG0200.jpg

Starting to show their first true leaves.
IMAG0201.jpg

Nice set-up, I don't thinks its crude. You put some thought into it.
A couple years back I had a cat that would dig the plastic plant tags out of the pots and run with them around the house. I had a few plants that were a surprise until I could see what type of peppers were growing. Now I use stickers on the sides of the pots. I'll transfer the info on the the plant tags when brought outdoors.
Good luck with your Butch T's and the rest, they're all super-HOT!

Greg

Time for a pic update. Butch T's are coming along nicely. Still waiting on the other stubborn seeds. I also have 3 7 Pods that have popped but nothing else yet.

IMAG0212.jpg

Looking good, Jess, nice and healthy.
The only reasonable grow list i've seen!

Looking good, Jess, nice and healthy.
The only reasonable grow list i've seen!

Ha! Thanks. I know it doesn't compare with what a lot of guys got going on here but I just wouldn't know what to do with that many plants. The few I am growing is just for fun. I think I had around 20 last year and I got sick of moving them around when severe storms came and whatnot since I am growing in containers. I figure if I have a couple each of a few different varieties I will be happy. I said 6 but maybe I'll have 10-12 plants this year.

I did think of doing a raised bed and growing a few other things but then I have to research more and I just don't have time as I am in nursing school right now and it is pretty rigorous.

I think you are wise! I'm just starting with pepper gardening, but eventually I'd like
to find a handful of varieties that work well in my climate. Right now, I'm growing too
many kinds in an effort to find the 'good ones'. Good luck in nursing school - that's
a full time job plus!

A little over 2 weeks since my last update. I ended up with 3 Butch Ts and 3 7 Pods. None of the other seeds sprouted. I really wanted some Yellow 7s and I was patient but I threw them away last night. I started the last batch on 1/13 and no go. I only put about 4 of each in cuz I was hoping at least 2 would sprout. No Choc Bhut, Yellow 7, or Douglahs this year. :tear:

Anyway, here is what I have then. The 3 biggest are all Butch T. 3 Smallest are 7 pods.

IMAG0223.jpg

I may start a couple Orange Habs and Jalapenos in about a week here also.

Hey, Jessxcr, glad you are back for another grow! I bet you are cruising this time compared to last year. Being a snoob (2nd year) does have some advantages--I now know enough to be even more dangerous. Your set-up is slick--thats a lot of efficient firepower in a small space. And a lot of fire in your choice of peppers...

From your avatar, looks like you already have one really nice pod already. Congrats.... :cool:

Back