• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy 7 coir peat free pellets

Looking to use jiffy 7 coir peat free pellets for the first time in next growing season ...What are your experiences of using these when germinating seeds ? I have heard mixed results . All info and help is gratefully taken on board .

They are great. Peat pucks turn into a hard lump if they dry out. Coir tends to hold moisture a little longer and don't fry seedlings if they get a little dry.

The only complaint that I have heard was damping, but I have had 0 damp off in coir and have started flats and flats of them. I love it.

i don't have direct experience but lots of forum members use them. i bought a package this year and never used them mainly because all my other germination methods were successful.
i do use coir containers but can't say i notice any big benefits from the coir alone, most likely because i then bury the coir into a 1 gallon container of soil.
the brand i bought are Planters' Pride, the Jiffy site says their Jiffy-C7 is the only peat free product on the market but i guess they didn't do a google.

I experienced some damping, but it's hot and humid here in Mouse land. They hold moisture well, but makes it easy to over water. Also fo long term, there isn't really any nutes in those.

I use 100% coco peat to germinate in after the plants have two tru leaves give them 1/4 strenght nutes. if you get problems with damping off water with Hydrogen Peroxide in your water and the plants will love it.
I use two tablespoons to the Qt of water, bottom water if you can

I HATED pellets with a passion, always had problems with them but that was with the peat ones. I gave the Coir pellets a go recently and have had great success with them. I would never use the peat pellets again, moisture control is way too hard.

Back