• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy pods (cut the bag before transplanting?)

Do you cut the bag from the Jiffy pods before transplanting?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Use something else

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
I see a few of you use the jiffy pods to start seeds. Thought about giving it a try. Read different reviews of removing the bag or keeping it. Thought I would get it direct from the experts themselves.

SO do you cut off the bag before transplanting or just leave them as is?

Been using them for years and never cut the bag. The roots grow right through it.

I remove the bag, but don't have a good reason why.  It certainly increases the risk of harming the roots if they have started to grow through it.  

Never had much luck with peat pots for peppers. I buy peat and perlite mix them together with water then put it like a cake in a tray. Lay the seeds on top and put peat over that. Loose and aerated yet moist is what you're aim for. Slightly pat it down to give the seeds something to leverage against. I use a humidity dome and heat pad as well. If you have to use the pods then loosen them up as much as you can by stirring the peat in the fabric bag. If the roots have gone through it then leave it otherwise get rid of it. I see those fabric bags in my yard from peat pots years after I use them. I throw them away at that point.

When I used them I removed the "bag". I switched to a 5 part coir, 1 part perlite, 1 part potting soil mix 1" deep on top of potting soil in 3.5" pots. I get zero dampening now. The pellets wicked up too much water, and stayed wet; even when bottom watering. The method I now use is easier to read as far as wetness goes <-- for me that is ;)

Back