Jimmy Nardellos...My babies are sick I think

My Nards have put out a lot of pods. 9 plants have given me over 2 kilos, but now the plants are looking sad.
Here are some pics.

Here is 1.5 months ago...great leaves
100_0976.jpg

since then I have ended MG feedings and with all the rain they haven't got the daily 10 minute water misting they were used to. The rest of the garden(superhots) are doing just fine with this setup. Here is yesterday.
100_1202.jpg

100_1204.jpg

In the second pic the really tall plants in the background are my bhut jolokias. None of the Nards are over 3.5 feet tall. Last year they were crowd planted and were a lot taller. They did really good until about a week ago and I am kind of wondering if the tall bhuts may be blocking too much light although it isn't much blockage from what I see through the day.

When I harvest these I snip the stem instead of snapping at the node they grow from. I am wondering, does this leave open for things to harm the plant?

Here are some close close ups from this morning.

100_1210.jpg

That little piece is a stem I cut the pepper off of. I snapped it at the node to take it off for this picture.

100_1211.jpg

100_1212.jpg

Why????????????

When I have a plant that looks like that I remove it from service immediately and place it into a garbage bag. Looks like some form of blight to me. I had about 6 plants this season that looked just like it. I treat them all the same so 98.8% of the time my method is working thus far for the season.

I have new growth on some of the plants. I wonder if it is the cutting of the stems when I harvest. Could leaving an open end do it???

What do the ends of the effected branches look like? Usually I will see it start out on the ends and work its way inward towards the main supporting stock. You need to be careful because if its blight it will spread throughout the plant and onto other plants.

Copper might help, according to some of the research I've done. My purple cayennes have leaves like those (and worse) - I've cut off all the ick leaves, and they're getting doused with copper - at this point none of the branches look bad. We'll see what happens.

i had plants (GUYANESE WIRI WIRI AND A WILD BRAZIL) living with and now growing good again and it did not spread,it was too much water that caused it, im not saying this is the same thing but it sure does look like it, try cutting down on watering if you can and see what happens,i know right not its hard with all the rain we have been getting but do your best

hope this helps

your friend joe

i had plants (GUYANESE WIRI WIRI AND A WILD BRAZIL) living with and now growing good again and it did not spread,it was too much water that caused it, im not saying this is the same thing but it sure does look like it, try cutting down on watering if you can and see what happens,i know right not its hard with all the rain we have been getting but do your best

hope this helps

your friend joe

I too believe this is a result of too much water which causes them to rot and die. I have been unable to save any of them. I would set them aside away from the others and monitor closely…reducing the watering and juicing. It would prolong their lives for a while, but would always end up coming back.

I found two Orange Scotch Bonnet plants last night with signs of the "black death", I removed them without any hesitation. I have a lot of very large plants completely full of pods and I will not risk anything happening to them.

The new growth looks pretty clean, although, " Early or Late Blight" moves pretty quick and sometimes by removing the damaged area'a you can save the plant..., but you chance infecting surrounding areas.....I've seen that spread like "wildfire" on my neighbors tomatoes, yet he never rotates his crops, every year he plants the same crops in the same spots....."formula for failure"

Got some bad looking plants myself JAG... no reason other than this :eek:

It is now official: For the Philadelphia/South Jersey region, August is already the wettest month in recorded history, breaking a century-old record.

The National Weather Service said Friday that the .61 inches of rain that fell at Philadelphia International Airport on Thursday raised the August rainfall total to 13.61 inches.

That broke the previous August record of 12.10 inches -- which was set back in 1911.

Forecasters say that also made August 2011 the all-time wettest month on record, breaking the old record of 13.07 inches set in September 1999, mostly due to another storm -- Hurricane Floyd.

But the month isn't over yet -- and forecasters note that Hurricane Irene can be counted on to add additional rainfall to push those totals even higher.

Remember, what ever you used to cut those peppers off, needs to be soaked in a bleach solution to keep from spreading any disease. Remembe to think biosecurity when your out there in the pepper bed.

so one for copper,
all else suggest cut and burn?
is there no bourdeax?
there has got to be something to try?

:crazy:

Through Pm it was suggested to me to try a mix of [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub]water - [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub] skim milk. I was told it beat the fungus for them last year. Going to try this first. Stopped on the way home from work and bought a 1 gallon sprayer. This afternoon I will get the skim. If no visible improvements in a week I will go copper.

This year was a 3rd bad year in a row for me with Bacterial Spot, i'm at the point now where i'd yank a plant if it got infested that bad.

I sprayed twice with copper, then followed up weekly with Serenade solution. Made a noticeable difference and held the disease at bay. If i let up the disease gained traction again.

Not sure if your plant's disease is bacterial, fungal or viral though. Treatment will vary depending on what it is, there's a chance you may need sulfur and not copper, or a combo spray of both.

Good luck either way.

Only the Nards are being affected. The superhots are all lovin life. This is the 3rd year that the Nards were planted here, so next year they will be at the other end of that garden. Also this year I didn't turn the soil. Too busy building and prepping the others. Tax time I am getting a small tiller I can lift over the fences and go to town. Also going to mix in some silica to help replenish that in the soil so the plants will hopefully be able to resist this better.

Hey.

That looks similar to the lurgie that infected one of my 4 Kung Pao plants earlier in the season -

1leaf.jpg

I got some advice on treatment in this thread here (The consensus was a copper spray....which I didn't end up using).

In the end I didn't use anything on the plant, I just picked off all the visibly affected leaves and stems and cut way back on watering. I probably stripped 2/3rds of the leaves off, leaving it pretty bare. The one affected plant grew back without any of the visible disease. It's as healthy as the other three now with good fruit yield (although they don't seem to grow as big or turn as red on the one plant)

Oh, and it was in a pot so I was able to separate it quickly from the others, which I know you can't do.
Good luck, hope those puppies fight back.

Rooze

***Edit - I should add that I also stopped misting when the fungus appeared. Someone had mentioned that watering/misting might help the thing spread. Better to keep the upper plant dry and just water the soil direct*****

Rooze

***Edit - I should add that I also stopped misting when the fungus appeared. Someone had mentioned that watering/misting might help the thing spread. Better to keep the upper plant dry and just water the soil direct*****
[/quote]

(+) 1

Also, it can be transmitted by touching the infected plants then touching other plants... "mosaic virus", another nasty one, can infect pepper plants but more commonly "cuke's and squash", spreads pretty quick...especially when the leaves are wet...solution (?)...You can always pick off the green "Nardo's" slice 'em up and "Pepperoncini" them...yum!

Only the Nards are being affected. The superhots are all lovin life. This is the 3rd year that the Nards were planted here, so next year they will be at the other end of that garden. Also this year I didn't turn the soil. Too busy building and prepping the others. Tax time I am getting a small tiller I can lift over the fences and go to town. Also going to mix in some silica to help replenish that in the soil so the plants will hopefully be able to resist this better.
I hope you get them fixed up. Be extremely careful after handling the infected plants because if it's a bacterial/fungal infection you could easily spread it to healthy plants. If you start seeing it spreading break out the :flamethrower:

The new growth looks pretty clean, although, " Early or Late Blight" moves pretty quick and sometimes by removing the damaged area'a you can save the plant..., but you chance infecting surrounding areas.....I've seen that spread like "wildfire" on my neighbors tomatoes, yet he never rotates his crops, every year he plants the same crops in the same spots....."formula for failure"

I agree completely!!

Back