• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ 2013 Glog- C'est fini. -awmost.

So,I may as well grow them, eh?

I started back gardening last year, but I left it to my co-gardener mostly to come up with pepper plants. We had some Bells, and Cayenne, a Carrot pepper, a black Jap, Hungarian sweet, maybe a Bullnose, Then I bought a 4 pack each of Anaheims and Jimmy Nardellos. I set out a little Shoshito start in July and it had a lot of fruit considering. Nothing here to write home about. The Jimmy's did ok. 2 of the Anaheims weren't true (and a cow at half of one of them), one did ok. The last one I planted in a new asparagus bed and the first week some sucky bug drilled it right in forehead and wilted the top. I started to pull it out, but thought, "no harm to leave it to see what would happen". I pinched the wilt off. That pepper forked an by frost it had held its own with the asparagus which hit about 6 foot. I pulled the whole plant day before frost, and it had about 50 nice peppers on it. I blistered and smoked them all.
zvyniq.jpg

But this year I'm gonna be pepper pro-active. Thanks to Durham Bull, I have a treasure house of Capscium genes -Bhuts, Scorpions, and the likes -none of which I'd ever heard of a year ago. The generosity of this community seems to only be matched by it passion for peppers. I dig it. Plus I was in at another site with an online seed blind swap and ended up with some mildly hot goodies.

Well I've never grown a pepper from seed. Never. So yet another new door. Bought a heat mat, I've got onions about to come off it now. After Spicy Chicken's glog, I liked his grow station and thought I'd buy some shelves and put overhead fluorescent on them. I had a domestic conversation about where to put the shelves and lost amicably. So I guess I'll have to finally clean out my toolshed after only 4 years to make room.

27y1gmo.jpg

It has a skylight about, 30" x 96", but no heat, no electricity. But I think I can get by with an extension cord, and will have to pick up a little propane heater to knock the chill off. Peppers aren't safe outside here until mid-May.

Yesterday, I got my shelves assembled with one light installed - a 4x4' T8 fixture w/ 6500ks.

96ccnl.jpg

Plan is to wire them on to a gang of light switches, maybe a timer, cover it with Reflectrix movable curtains, some small fans.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially since I'm in the early build phase.

I'm shooting for about 100-150 plants if there's room -some to wind up in rows, some in beds, some into containers, some to share

A friend is sending me some more seeds today I believe, so I'll be closer to a final grow list when I see what that brings.

Thanks for reading and for any words of wisdom you can share.

Lol JJJ been a few years. Finding more excuses than results lately. Starts are popping off for you I see! Keep us posted!

Very nice. What medium is germinating the best for you??

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

While other factors could be at work, the sweet peppers seem to germ quicker in the pure coir plug than the 45/55 verm/coir mix with a little nutrient. The annums with mild heat seem to be favoring the verm mix slightly. But these differences seem slight. A new variety popped - a couple of Waialua.

Actually I recounted and with todays poppers my germ rate is a bit over 20%

I got my cotys up to within 2" of the lights this morning.

And I lost a Cherezo -juggling accident. I looked for the sprout to replant it. Could not find it.

1 Cherezo MIA.

And I lost a Cherezo -juggling accident. I looked for the sprout to replant it. Could not find it.

1 Cherezo MIA.
Sorry...but had to laugh out loud for real on that one. I don't think anyone on here can deny having that same tragic juggling incident. Mine was not a Cherezo this season, it was one of the new Rennies, irreplaceable!!! Can't buy, order or even really beg for them anywhere and was lucky to get them from Denniz. Had one hook up and went to move it to the 2.75" pot, hit the edge of the tray and...you guessed it failed juggling routine. I found it, and it's up and running now. Took my headlamp, handheld work light and my grow lights on in there to finally locate the damn thing!

Great Save, Shane! :clap:
I wasn't so lucky.

BUT, We Have Heat!
....and more juggling

1ce702bf-e400-43f2-8291-96dddf1cfc89.jpg

My onion sprout trays have been officially declared outdoor-ready, but I have a cold frame to keep them in until ready for transplant; early April I hope.

My un-germinated peppers have been moved onto the heat mat in my heated basement to keep the temps up for longer periods of the day. Hopefully, this will kick them into a higher gear if damage hasn't been done.

But I do have 6 sets of super-hot cotys! I think some emoticons are in order
:welcome: :woohoo: :dance: :beer: and cigars all around.

The only bad news is, there's a Waialua on it's side, cotys look fine, no helmet, just homesick maybe, ???? Maybe a little ukulele music would help.

I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but I am working on a coop. Here's my raised beds that I've built or are in progress since last March. Some of the peppers will get some choices spots no doubt. But I have another garden 30'x100' and a strip 4'x 90' currently in winter rye that will get the bulk of them, plus some container growing -just in case I get around to buying a greenhouse before fall frost.

IMAG1147.jpg

My garden is on my business property about 25 miles away. (the house in the upper right corner is my neighbors)

So, here's my score card 12+ days from soak, with a few sprouts working on their first true leaves.

Variety..............................Source....................number of seeds.........Geminated.........../100

7 POT -Yellow....................Durham Bull....................6..............................1.............................17%
Pablano..............................I Dig Seed Swap.............8...............................2............................25%
Jalapeno............................ I Dig Seed Swap.............4
...............................1............................25%
Marisol............................... I Dig Seed Swap.............8
...............................2............................25%
Habanero, Caribbean Red..Baker Creek.................12
...............................4............................33%
Scotch Bonnet....................David...............................6
...............................2............................33%
Cherezo Cherry..................David...............................5
...............................2............................40%
Naga -Black........................Durham Bull....................6..............................3.............................50%
Aji Dulce..............................David..............................4...............................2............................50%
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga..Durham Bull..................4..............................2.............................50%
Serrano................................David..............................6...............................4............................67%
Tabasco...............................I Dig Seed Swap.............4
...............................3............................75%
King of the North(sweet)......Baker Creek..................28.............................23............................82%
Aji Colorado..........................I Dig Seed Swap.............6...............................5............................83%
Waialua................................I Dig Seed Swap..............6
...............................6..........................100%
Cowhorn Cayenne...............David................................6
Goat's Weed.........................I Dig Seed Swap..............6
Thai Chili...............................David...............................4
...............................4..........................100%

(0 Germs are not shown)................228..............................79...........................35%

Thanks for reading, the encouragement, and pepper wisdom.
JJJ

Re-juggling

I'm gonna be ready for the circus or the asylum before this is over.

The onions are off the shelf so I've moved my heat mat back into the building.
I just can't seem to get my Bhuts in gear -I'm 1/12 at this point -16 days. So I'm trying to push the heat up. Something seems to be working because the 7 Pots, Scorpions, and Nagas are gradually coming on. It is a little uncanny how each variety tends to germinate most of it's seeds in a day or two. And Annums are off to the races before the Chinense have had their first yawn.

I'm starting up my third 72 tray. As a plug or shell geminates I'm setting it on a cushion of potting mix.

IMG_0460.jpg

Tray 2

The potting soil cells in the foreground are the seeds I tried to germ on damp foam rubber. Some worked but not many. I think the Anaheims even dried out once. So I ended up potting them. Lo and behold, those are four Anaheims in the foreground that have emerged.

IMG_0462.jpg

Tray 1- direct-sown after one day soak.

IMG_0461.jpg

The blank spots are mostly Bhuts. No more hodge-podgin' a tray of seeds for me. Even after germinating I'd like to arrange for keeping each species separate cells, cops or what have you -if not variety also. But but lack of space and greed for variety and quantity have me jammed up a bit.
With all the activity, it's hard to believe I'm only at 54% germination.

Thanks for the read,
JJJ

Those bhuts just take some time brother...won't be long. If other stuff is popping in good numbers I wouldn't mess with your setup too much.

Looking good, JJJ. Personally, I think 54% is a pretty good rate, but I don't do a pre-soak, just plant enough extras to be sure to get some of (almost) everything. Your onion comments remind me I have a bunch of various shallots, garlic, and potato onions that are sprouting in their storage boxes. I need to get them set out, if the ground ever dries up. Should have set them out before this last round of precipitation.

I agree with Shane about the Bhuts; they can be slow. In my limited experience I've found 82º F to be just right for germinating them and even a couple of degrees either side of that can slow them down. YMMV

Thanks, guys.

Rain/snow is definitely slowing us down outside too Sawyer, but sometimes that's a good thing.
I'd be chewing the woodwork, if I didn't have these seedling to vent some grow-energy on.

Interesting on the 82° thing. Because of my setup location and for ill or nil, my temps have varied quite a bit. But I have a good heater now and the weather is cooperating somewhat, so maybe no more chili nights.

I'm going to be away Sat-Tues, and fretting about it already. I have someone who can check on them is there anything I should tell them to watch for at the stage in the game?

JJJ

Thanks, guys.

Rain/snow is definitely slowing us down outside too Sawyer, but sometimes that's a good thing.
I'd be chewing the woodwork, if I didn't have these seedling to vent some grow-energy on.

Interesting on the 82° thing. Because of my setup location and for ill or nil, my temps have varied quite a bit. But I have a good heater now and the weather is cooperating somewhat, so maybe no more chili nights.

I'm going to be away Sat-Tues, and fretting about it already. I have someone who can check on them is there anything I should tell them to watch for at the stage in the game?

JJJ

There are others here with more experience than me, and I'm sure some of them will chime in shortly. I'd say be sure not to let them dry out "too much" and make sure the lighting and heating remain where you want them.

Also, I think a varying temperature may be better than a constant, non-optimal temperature. At least then you have a chance the temperature will be optimum for some period of time. A constant too-warm or too-cool temperature isn't going to get you much. (Someone here, I forget who, runs their heater mats full on for a period of time and full off for a period of time.) I finally got my temps stabilized at 80ºF at the bottom of the flats, just above the heater mat and 84ºF at the soil surface, just below the lights. Had a few new sprouts this morning.

I know Greg (Pic1) runs them on/off like that...most of the advise would be for you JJJ. I am what the military calls a "Geobachelor" I am stationed about 100 miles from my home and I commute on weekends and maybe one day during the week. So I am routinely gone for 3-5 days at a time.

I always let the plants get as dry as possible by early Monday morning then water the heck out of them right before I leave. They are usually good for 3-4 days with my setup. Your temps, soil, air circulation, pot size and plant size will all play a role in how soon they'll need water. From the looks of what you have pictured above I would recommend potting all the sprouts. The ones in Jiffy Pellets/starter cells will dry out very quickly on their own. Some folks wait for first true leaves to start, but as soon as mine sprout they get moved to 2.5" square pots so they won't dry out too fast. On your germ trays I would recommend covering them with a dome and placing them such that you know that their temps won't get too high but they can get a little light in there. If not I would give your caretaker instructions on what you would like done with them. I leave about a dozen pots with soil for my wife and son to transplant my sprouts into. I have each row of pellets clearly labeled and a stack of labels and a sharpie right there for them so all they have to do is pull out the pellet, unpeel it, place it in a pot, label it to match what row it was in and stick it under the lights. They have gotten used to the routine though...as far as the watering I have taught my son how to judge how dry they are and if I am not going to make it home by Wednesday I call him and have him check them while I am on the phone. I refill all my water containers after I water Monday morning so they are right there for him to use. I stay on the phone because this is the only thing that can result in dead plants if it gets screwed up. I bottom water only so its easy for him to do. Pour water in tray one until it gets up to here...then move to tray 2-3-4..."OK son now go back through the trays and if all the water is soaked up pour some more in there..." I go through this with him until he lets me know all of they trays have had all they need to drink.

Sorry for the book. I know a few folks that have left their starts in someone's charge and ended up with a disaster. Good prep on your part will minimize what your caretaker has to do.
Shane

Greenhouse? What are those things? :rolleyes:

Yes, it was on my list of thing to do last year, but I ran out of funds abruptly.So, don't get me started on greenhouses.

OK, I'm started.

I've got to level a spot for about an 8x20.

But I have shared access to a little backhoe with a scoop on the front- just need to learn to use it. I can drive it at least.

Then pour a pad$$ with embedded hot water circulation hoses$$.

Hook them up to wood furnace$$ with a water jacket, since I have access to a lot of scrap wood.

Do I dig the tilapia pond into the floor, or set tank(s) on the floor to get the aquaponics beds started?

So this year may be the year.

First I have to finish my pump-storage-rainwater-drip irrigation project, but it's well over half way. I just need to connect the dots really.

Finally got a Datil and a Red Bhut :dance: this morning. Going to go look for P64 pots as per Shane.

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

You sound like me, too many ideas and not enough time, money, whatever, to implement them. I especially like your mention of tilapia. I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar, but with the pond outside and plumbing the water to where needed. Do you have any experience raising tilapia?

When I was in 9th grade I talked my parents into opening a tropical fish store -JJ's Tropical Fish. We kept it 2-3 years and sold it. We ended up with 60 plus tanks. A lot of work. I devoured Sterba's Fresh Water Fish of the World. Eventually I came to prefer cutting weeds at my father's business with a brush scythe to tending fish. Tilapia are a vegetarian, mouth-breeding cichlids - a favorite genera. I hope it's like riding a bicycle. Maybe I can feed them peppers to pre-season them.

Let's go pot some peppers.

Interesting talk about Tilapia, I worked a few years for aquaculture Jamaica ltd, they grow/raise Red Tilapia from fry and while their fish were cared for and feed great, I have stopped eating Tilapia. Unless I know who grows them and what their care practices are its risky business. Nothing wrong with growing your own as you know what goes on in your pod/pool/lakes … Here in Miami China dumps (use of word to indicate derogator, but its imported) Tilapia that wholesales around $1.99/lb. that I see all over the place advertised for $3.99/lb. This same Tilapia was banned in the EU from importation for almost 15 years. I'm out of the business for many years now so I don't know if China has changed their growing practices but be wary of what seafood you buy for very low prices as our laws and enforcement are weak IMHO :/

How are the seedlings coming? Any pic updates? ...

Edit: BTW: for those that do not know, Tilapia fry are the fingerling babies.

Interesting talk about Tilapia, I worked a few years for aquaculture Jamaica ltd, they grow/raise Red Tilapia from fry and while their fish were cared for and feed great, I have stopped eating Tilapia. Unless I know who grows them and what their care practices are its risky business. Nothing wrong with growing your own as you know what goes on in your pod/pool/lakes … Here in Miami China dumps (use of word to indicate derogator, but its imported) Tilapia that wholesales around $1.99/lb. that I see all over the place advertised for $3.99/lb. This same Tilapia was banned in the EU from importation for almost 15 years. I'm out of the business for many years now so I don't know if China has changed their growing practices but be wary of what seafood you buy for very low prices as our laws and enforcement are weak IMHO :/

How are the seedlings coming? Any pic updates? ...

Edit: BTW: for those that do not know, Tilapia fry are the fingerling babies.

Hah, from fry to the fryer. I hear you about not knowing where our food comes from or what's in it. I try not to think about it, but would really rather be growing, raising, hunting, etc. all my own food.

When I was in 9th grade I talked my parents into opening a tropical fish store -JJ's Tropical Fish. We kept it 2-3 years and sold it. We ended up with 60 plus tanks. A lot of work. I devoured Sterba's Fresh Water Fish of the World. Eventually I came to prefer cutting weeds at my father's business with a brush scythe to tending fish. Tilapia are a vegetarian, mouth-breeding cichlids - a favorite genera. I hope it's like riding a bicycle. Maybe I can feed them peppers to pre-season them.

Cool book. Wish I had a copy.

Let's go pot some peppers.

Soon.

Back