• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ 2013 Glog- C'est fini. -awmost.

So,I may as well grow them, eh?

I started back gardening last year, but I left it to my co-gardener mostly to come up with pepper plants. We had some Bells, and Cayenne, a Carrot pepper, a black Jap, Hungarian sweet, maybe a Bullnose, Then I bought a 4 pack each of Anaheims and Jimmy Nardellos. I set out a little Shoshito start in July and it had a lot of fruit considering. Nothing here to write home about. The Jimmy's did ok. 2 of the Anaheims weren't true (and a cow at half of one of them), one did ok. The last one I planted in a new asparagus bed and the first week some sucky bug drilled it right in forehead and wilted the top. I started to pull it out, but thought, "no harm to leave it to see what would happen". I pinched the wilt off. That pepper forked an by frost it had held its own with the asparagus which hit about 6 foot. I pulled the whole plant day before frost, and it had about 50 nice peppers on it. I blistered and smoked them all.
zvyniq.jpg

But this year I'm gonna be pepper pro-active. Thanks to Durham Bull, I have a treasure house of Capscium genes -Bhuts, Scorpions, and the likes -none of which I'd ever heard of a year ago. The generosity of this community seems to only be matched by it passion for peppers. I dig it. Plus I was in at another site with an online seed blind swap and ended up with some mildly hot goodies.

Well I've never grown a pepper from seed. Never. So yet another new door. Bought a heat mat, I've got onions about to come off it now. After Spicy Chicken's glog, I liked his grow station and thought I'd buy some shelves and put overhead fluorescent on them. I had a domestic conversation about where to put the shelves and lost amicably. So I guess I'll have to finally clean out my toolshed after only 4 years to make room.

27y1gmo.jpg

It has a skylight about, 30" x 96", but no heat, no electricity. But I think I can get by with an extension cord, and will have to pick up a little propane heater to knock the chill off. Peppers aren't safe outside here until mid-May.

Yesterday, I got my shelves assembled with one light installed - a 4x4' T8 fixture w/ 6500ks.

96ccnl.jpg

Plan is to wire them on to a gang of light switches, maybe a timer, cover it with Reflectrix movable curtains, some small fans.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially since I'm in the early build phase.

I'm shooting for about 100-150 plants if there's room -some to wind up in rows, some in beds, some into containers, some to share

A friend is sending me some more seeds today I believe, so I'll be closer to a final grow list when I see what that brings.

Thanks for reading and for any words of wisdom you can share.

I wasn't going to chime in on the MG-MC thing, but given how things turned out, I think I may have some relevant experience. I once experimented with using water-retention crystals in outdoor planting holes. I couldn't tell a lot of difference between the holes with and without the crystals, until things got very dry. Then, all the plants in the with-crystal holes died, while the ones in the without-crystal holes were stressed, but survived. It seemed like the crystals competed with the plant roots for the last bit of water and turned a stressful situation into a killing situation. That may be what you experienced. The MG-MC mix uses "AquaCoir", which is supposed to be a processed coir-fiber-based alternative to the synthetic hydrogels, but the mechanism of action may be the same. Or maybe not.

Did the MC subjects recover?

Yes!!! Organic will Prevail!

Asparagus was yummy. Had it in an omelet this morning with some spinach that made it through the winter and is putting up some fresh leaves.
Annie, my weather looks about the same as yours we got plenty of rain last night. It should bring the morels up :party:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]![/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I'll put a hoop house on it tomorrow and maybe double layer the Agribon in case the forecast deteriorates. I still might risk a Goat' Weed and a Birgit.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I don't know about rewarming, A little drink of 'lasses and alfalfa couldn't hurt could it? [/background]

Jamison, it is definitely deer country. They mowed a 100' row of sweet taters last year -twice. Ground hogs may have helped. …
Sounds like a good place for a blind, hehe
… Well I left the plants unattended over the weekend and had a little mishap with a few plants.
Some baby maters fried, and my Miracle Gro experiment came to an abrupt and nearly inconclusive end.
It wasn't a Freudian slip ( I don't think) but my MG test subjects met their Maker, or nearly so. …
Interesting test none the less, you could always start another batch as if you have nothing else to do, hahaha ;)
Also found this guy prancing around the pepperage when I got home.
Interesting worm, is that one of those that turn into the giant leopard moth? Nice that you released him into da wild, might be interesting to see how they cocoon.
Picked a head of buttercrunch lettuce, a bag of spinach, a handful of scallions that survived the winter, PLUS
First picking of asparagus!!! I planted 90 crowns last year, so I won't be taking much this year and just a little more next year.

On the broiling pan waiting for a sprinkle of garlic, olive oil, and tamari.
Nice harvest of veggies, looks/sounds tasty!
… The temp at about 4" was less than 120° I think it is winding down.
I put some other soil in a hole with them and watered well as I planted to moderate the situation.

Tomorrow I'll stick in a couple of peppers. Guinea pigs for sure. I can spare a couple I guess.
Nothing on the really cold side in the 10 day forecast. Just need to keep a close watch on 'em.
While it’s great to read that your temps have gone up and things are looking good for plant out; Pepper “guinea pigs” bite your tongue :D
Yes!!! Organic will Prevail! … …
+1 :) and the omelet sounds awesome, great job & have a good week ^_^

Sad to hear about your MG plants, Carl. I bet you'll end up perfecting your own mixture and beating out the MG by next year. Making your own mix is the way to go anyway. I don't have enough knowledge to even attempt that right now.

Carl, called 5th last week, kept info in my log: they have that HF 2 cu. ft. for around 23 bucks. (Have lots of other HF too.) But . . . they were sold out, expecting more in this weekend or next week. Shane, considering gas, that's a great price including shipping!

Wow, missed this the first time. $33 for 2 cu ft is good? I had no idea it was so expensive normally. I guess I'm lucky. At a place sbout 3 blocks from my apartment I pay about half what it costs on that link, $16.99 for 2 cu ft. They always have a huge pallet of it in the center of the store. I think it's more popular and available here because a lot of people grow pot with it. I certainly couldn't afford to pay twice as much. Maybe there is a nursery nearby that makes their own similar blend that could be cheaper?

Sad to hear about your MG plants, Carl. I bet you'll end up perfecting your own mixture and beating out the MG by next year. Making your own mix is the way to go anyway. I don't have enough knowledge to even attempt that right now.

Wow, missed this the first time. $33 for 2 cu ft is good? I had no idea it was so expensive normally. I guess I'm lucky. At a place sbout 3 blocks from my apartment I pay about half what it costs on that link, $16.99 for 2 cu ft. They always have a huge pallet of it in the center of the store. I think it's more popular and available here because a lot of people grow pot with it. I certainly couldn't afford to pay twice as much. Maybe there is a nursery nearby that makes their own similar blend that could be cheaper?

yeah :high: you California :high: dudes :high: catch all :high: the breaks :high:
the stuff comes from Humbolt Co. Go figure.

I think grinding and sifting to a fairly consistent particle size and the "wetting" agent bear some scrutiny for a new mix.

yeah :high: you California :high: dudes :high: catch all :high: the breaks :high:

I think grinding and sifting to a fairly consistent particle size and the "wetting" agent bear some scrutiny for a new mix.

They sure do don't they.... bastards! I only pay $17 around here too for OF or HF. I like the Ocean Forest a LOT better tho. It doesn't contain the mycorrhizae like Happy Frog but that is easy to add anyways.

JJ, Sorry about the damage, how did they fair? ( sorry if I missed a previous reply) I'm interested in what you come up with! I have plans for a composter versus the heap which racoons raid of all the greens we add. I would much rather make my own potting soil.

Hope this front is easy on you.

Scott

Lol, I was going to say, there are 3 things we get cheaper in California. Soil, produce, and certain other non-food herbs. Everything else we pay out the ass for.

I'm finding worms are the best of all possible kitchen waste composters -excepting chickens and hogs which can be be very demanding socially. Worms not so much, but they do require some attention beyond just tossing an over-ripe avocado in a bin and sprinkling some straw on top. What really makes em happy is grinding their chow to baby food consistency Maybe toss in a handful of meal or flour to give it a nice smoothiesque texture. Then they are fruitful and replenish the earth.
The trick remains to scale the worms and their space up to the level a kitchen's worth of compost. All in good time.

Fired the first peppers across the bow into the hot bed. The 2013 pepper plant-out commences.

This tall lanky dude who had all ready been striped is half in the hole. I hauled a coupla a buckets of sand off the mountain and mixed a planting hole filled with goodies including a couple of handfuls of worm compost with active wrigglers. This GW is not as hairy as my others.

And a little Birgit.

This was germed in early March. Seeds were good. Seeds were sent in the Pick a Peck care package for newbies by Bonnie.
My soil and watering combo just hasn't been up to potential. Maybe it will like it's new home if it doesn't burn up, freeze or get eaten by wild animals or insects. It could happen.

Thanks for reading
jjj

Carl both the Goats Weed and Birgit look good in their new homes and it sounds like you have the ground temps dialed in. That said, I don’t know much about growing up north but I do know they can take some low air temps as mine do every winter. Your soil mix and worms sounds good, not sure if you’ve tried coffee grounds in there but I do know that where ever I put coffee grounds in the yard there’s soon loads of earth worms in the area. At times I see them come out of the ground just to roll around in the stuff, lol. Keep up the great updates and have a great weekend ^_^

Yeah, Ramon, I've been playing with coffee grounds for compost. I mixed it in some grounded up ornamental grass stalks with some AACT two months ago(?), but never could get a good heat with it. It molded and was mostly black when I turned it today(second time). There where some really jittery worms in the bottom section though ;)

Troops ready for morning inspection.

But the weather is going to be less pepper-tomato-eggplant friendly for the next 10 days.
And some possible rain moving in tomorrow early, I just moved every body back inside.

Except for some black raspberry cuttings I took yesterday, but they are either bagged on under a dome.

First thing, I took a short jog in my finger shoes trying to get my foot-mechanics back in whack.
When I got to the garden, the Goats Weed was standing at attention. You can tell a plant is happy just by looking at.
I hope it lasts.

Standing on the east end of my row garden.

Since last summer as the mood strikes me, I've been cutting on this brush pile of privet, honeysuckle bush, wild cherry, sassafras, persimmon(that was a terrible accident), Ladybird's roses, dead locusts(I'll keep the live ones thankyou), wild grapes, did I say privet, yeah and privet.
It' makes a nice hedge somewhere else in my opinion.

There may still be hope of getting a couple stands of honeybees in there this year. But hope don't pile brush.
But I know a lot of pepper plants that will be ready to start dating in a couple of months, or less.
I've got an Early Jala already sporting a calyx.

Are these not the cutest little tater plants you every laid eyes on?
Purple Majestics

I know I'm prejudiced. But they are even more purplier in person.
Ground rocky enough for ya? ;) Not too many bigger than your fist.
I tilled in 3 crops of buckwheat last summer and a wimpy crop of rye and vetch this spring.
But cover crops won't bust rock.

Oh yeah, Scott, those Miracle Grow fry-babies are making a come back. Wouldn't you know it.
Thanks for reading,
jjj

Wish your MG moisture control would have gone on for the summer as I have 18 Walmart bags that I have used it in with some of my better plants. Guess I'll be updating the progress and you may be able to get something out of my grow.

State of Maryland is now taxing rain runoff so I guess I'll stay in the South for a while longer.

Carl I hope the weather starts paying attention to your needs.
"Are these not the cutest little tater plants you every laid eyes on?" Yea mon, dem purple majestics look cute manly, yea manly that's the ticket, lols

State of Maryland is now taxing rain runoff so I guess I'll stay in the South for a while longer.

All the more reason to hoard it. Sequester is the more neutral/popular/scientific/PC term.
If we play our cards right, we could turn this planet into a desert even faster than we currently are.

Muad'dib! Muad'dib! Muad'dib! Muad'dib!
:rolleyes:

Yes!!! Organic will Prevail!

Asparagus was yummy. Had it in an omelet this morning with some spinach that made it through the winter and is putting up some fresh leaves.
Annie, my weather looks about the same as yours we got plenty of rain last night. It should bring the morels up :party:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]![/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I'll put a hoop house on it tomorrow and maybe double layer the Agribon in case the forecast deteriorates. I still might risk a Goat' Weed and a Birgit.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I don't know about rewarming, A little drink of 'lasses and alfalfa couldn't hurt could it? [/background]

+1 organic always does

+1 on 'spargus!! I had some spinach overwinter as well: cute with snow/ice on it, lived, tasted great. Got shrooms but doubt morels. Doesn't look like them but haven't searched woods. If you have double layers Agribon, ya good! I don't, so again by end of next week, plants can apply for driver's permit in my car at night IF the weather forecast is remotely accurate which so far, as far as temps goes, kinda is. Wind ain't exactly being kind out there now. BUT have told plants to hug Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow for me, got that mini-greenhouse on riser, down with river rock, bricks, pots with soil, etc. Dread the sojourn in rain to car later today, but oh well!

If you can cover the GW and Birgit, they'll be fine! Pretty plants and birgit has just began to uh, grow, lol. But naw: it ain't eggplant, pepper, weather, and not risking maters at night either, too much stress makes 'em disease prone, as if an heirloom needs help with that existential aspect. Got cukes, squash, melons, etc. still under lights, indoors, where they'll stay until this weird "cold damning" passes. But do have couple yellow manzanos out . . . testing limits, not in-ground but just seeing what they can take. Hope not sad 'bout that! Good luck over next few days, although doubt you'll need it ;)

Muad'dib! Muad'dib! Muad'dib! Muad'dib!
:rolleyes:

"Fear is the mind-killer . . ."

+ 1 on the privet. Don't have it here, but battled it at every place I lived in Memphis. My experience is where there's privet, there's chiggers too!!!

We had to cut down a couple of sassafras trees to put a pool in one time. Loved the smell!!! The whole backyard smelled like root beer for days! I grow a perennial called Agastache rupestris 'Apache Sunset' that smells a LOT like root beer to me. When I'm working in the flower beds, I just have to rub the leaves to I can smell it!

Hope your Birgit's Locoto takes off for you soon!

I took a stroll over on the mountain in Tennesee to get some more sand and get some exercise. Just as I was getting back to the truck the cold front started coming through

Bonnie, I'm not familar with the [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]A. rupestris. I'm a long time fan of A. anisata. Started some from seeds last summer and 3 or 4 have survived me so far. [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I just found out that sassafras is supposed to be a good smokin' wood. I'll have to find which pepper it best serves.[/background]

Annie, I know they're supposed to be a big plant, but my Birgis from Bonnie (Hey Bonnie) especially didn't like my, grow mix, watering, attitude, and/or something. They germed like gangbusters. They got to 4 leaves and stopped.
I do think it was starting to get some color in its cheeks when I got to it today. Or maybe it was my imagination. The Goat Weed looked good, except something had a tiny bite of it.
The cover had blown off, it was windy and still drizzling. I cut the bottom from some milk jugs and staked 'em for insurance.

Look at that big Cushaw coty (mid right) I pulled -there were a few. It was from the worm compost I put in with the plants just 2 days ago I gave the worms my cushaw guts last fall to munch on through the winter. I bought and planted some true seeds from the produce store and forgot to check 'em. :banghead:

Then I double covered them and hopefully that'll do it for 37,36, and 39° lows through the weekend.

I didn't take my thermometer, but I stuck my machete up to the hilt into the bed, left it a few minutes and it came up warm.
I think we're good.

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

I didn't take my thermometer, but I stuck my machete up to the hilt into the bed, left it a few minutes and it came up warm.
I think we're good.

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

You sure we ain't kin? :rofl: I damn-well KNOW ya kin to my cousin! Hell, slam a machete in there, if it comes back hot, ya good! Me? My plants are still in my Outback. ;)

Back