• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ 2013 Glog- C'est fini. -awmost.

So,I may as well grow them, eh?

I started back gardening last year, but I left it to my co-gardener mostly to come up with pepper plants. We had some Bells, and Cayenne, a Carrot pepper, a black Jap, Hungarian sweet, maybe a Bullnose, Then I bought a 4 pack each of Anaheims and Jimmy Nardellos. I set out a little Shoshito start in July and it had a lot of fruit considering. Nothing here to write home about. The Jimmy's did ok. 2 of the Anaheims weren't true (and a cow at half of one of them), one did ok. The last one I planted in a new asparagus bed and the first week some sucky bug drilled it right in forehead and wilted the top. I started to pull it out, but thought, "no harm to leave it to see what would happen". I pinched the wilt off. That pepper forked an by frost it had held its own with the asparagus which hit about 6 foot. I pulled the whole plant day before frost, and it had about 50 nice peppers on it. I blistered and smoked them all.
zvyniq.jpg

But this year I'm gonna be pepper pro-active. Thanks to Durham Bull, I have a treasure house of Capscium genes -Bhuts, Scorpions, and the likes -none of which I'd ever heard of a year ago. The generosity of this community seems to only be matched by it passion for peppers. I dig it. Plus I was in at another site with an online seed blind swap and ended up with some mildly hot goodies.

Well I've never grown a pepper from seed. Never. So yet another new door. Bought a heat mat, I've got onions about to come off it now. After Spicy Chicken's glog, I liked his grow station and thought I'd buy some shelves and put overhead fluorescent on them. I had a domestic conversation about where to put the shelves and lost amicably. So I guess I'll have to finally clean out my toolshed after only 4 years to make room.

27y1gmo.jpg

It has a skylight about, 30" x 96", but no heat, no electricity. But I think I can get by with an extension cord, and will have to pick up a little propane heater to knock the chill off. Peppers aren't safe outside here until mid-May.

Yesterday, I got my shelves assembled with one light installed - a 4x4' T8 fixture w/ 6500ks.

96ccnl.jpg

Plan is to wire them on to a gang of light switches, maybe a timer, cover it with Reflectrix movable curtains, some small fans.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially since I'm in the early build phase.

I'm shooting for about 100-150 plants if there's room -some to wind up in rows, some in beds, some into containers, some to share

A friend is sending me some more seeds today I believe, so I'll be closer to a final grow list when I see what that brings.

Thanks for reading and for any words of wisdom you can share.

JJJessee said:
Thanks, Scott.

Mine are 20-24" mostly -a few maybe more. Knock on wood but, not a groundhog, deer or hardly a bug has touched the supers and yeap they are gonna jungle-up it looks like, Wouldn't hurt to start  giving them some liquid P and K at this point I reckon.
 I've been feeding mine a 6-12-6 mixed half strength (Hasta Grow), with full strength seaweed extract once a week, about a 7 sec count with a watering can. Keeps 'em happy!

JJJessee said:
:D Nope, no womanizing. My wife strictly forbids it. :D
lol … Congratulations Carl 
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
hope you had a great time!

The picture of the Rhododendrons is beautiful, love dem woody flowering plants … I bet she loved da camping, been some time since I’ve done it but it’s funny I use to take my wife camping a lot before we were married. We would go to uninhabited islands, explore during the day and make huge bond fires at night, boy I miss those days … way to go brethren 34 \o/

BTW my wife forbids it too :D

Sorry to read about all your rain loss, I feel your pain brother. The last 2 weeks we’ve had little to no rain and I used up what little I had stored, what a difference between our city water which is garbage here. I hope you get your tanks filled soon via Mama nature and I’m guessing you’ve already fixed the bad fitting.

I see you and Annie have something in common liking young green Chilies ;) I’ve tried a few and don’t really care for them but they do come in handy to mix into a large batch of powder. But I can’t say that I’ve tried a green Thai, maybe that’s different and tastier.

All your plants look like they are filling in, turning lush and will explode with growth. I agree with Scott you’ll soon have an interwoven pepper jungle \o/ I can’t wait to see dem all podded up and seeing you pics ^_^

Great garlic harvest, can you process the over ripe ones by peeling, drying and making to powder? That way it would keep way past winter if needed, while I love fresh garlic, powdered garlic has many uses too.

Those black raspberries look awesome, I love raspberries … great job mon! Hope you have an excellent weekend brethren :)

Thanks, Ramon. I think I'm seeing garlic powder in my near future that will definitely find its way into many seasoning blends, Christmas presents?

I can't say I prefer green chilies, It's just desperation -ya know? :)

I didn't mean anything bad about green one's I've done the same too and I guess some varieties lend themselves better to green than others. Guess I was thinking of all the green White Bhut’s I had to pick early off the squall broken branches. I took all the green ones off the JA Hab that was dying and used in powder cause I didn’t like the taste as they were too small. Again, it's great to see/read your update ...

We continue to get rain about every 3-4 days and seems to be agreeing with the peppers

My first little super pods (Dorset Nagas) are starting to show.  :dance:

Also some Goat's Weed

Cherezos

No pods, but coming along
a Birgit's Locato

A pair of Ecuador Lemon peppers

A Chapeau de Fraude
with a smaller Aji Dulce.

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

Your plants are looking really healthy, JJJ.  Sounds like the rains are coming at just about the right spacing.  It hasn't rained here in about 2 weeks and the temps are creeping back up into the mid-90s.  Summer is here.

Yeah, summer is full on here but, milder than the last few -so far. I was away Fri-Mon and at my home we had close to 3" of rain, but the garden -20 miles east only got an 1-1.5". 

And the soil had some chance to dry because I was able to turn-by-shovel the old garlic bed -turning in about a 1/2" of sand in  getting ready for fall/winter carrot planting.

This little Dorset pod must have doubled in sized over those 4 days.

I know peppers vary in shape, but this is longer than I was expecting. I have several Dorset plants to compare shapes in case of a genetic renegade.

Also the Orange Habs are starting to pod. :dance:

The whole bed continues to fill in and is basically pest free, I'm just starting to stake on an as needed basis.

We have 6 more weeks of warm nights and typically another 6 after that before frost.
Hope that's enough.

Thanks for reading.
JJJ

Thanks, guys,

PIC 1 said:
Pepper plants are thriving, no constrictions in a raised bed. Your soil compsition must be a good one.......plenty of compost ?
It's mostly clay, but yes a good bit of compost, and sand. I just tilled this spot last fall and sowed in winter rye that got tilled in.
Of all my raised beds, this bed of habs and supers is doing far better than everything else. I didn't put too much horse-barn litter in it (I over did it in some of the others) and I mulched with a 1" top dressing of on wood-chip compost from the water treatment plant and I'm pretty consistent on getting them a little fish emlusion  weekly  excepted today I gave them only Bloom(2-4-4) by G.O. 

My container specimens don't look quite as lush as the in-ground cousins. Maybe I need to enrich their feed. Don't know how deep the roots go, but they have made it to the edge of their containers (55 gal drum halves) at a couple of inches down. 

Here is a Fatalli with a trio of pods.

The container 7 Pot Jonah has a pod or two now.

Mrs Birgit now sports a pod standing straight up. She's 2'+ now and could go 5-6' by frost if I keep her fed.
The soil is not as good in this bed. A top dressing of compost would help I think. 

Marisol??
I would have thought these pods would have been reaching for the sky by this size.

Non Avenue

My Bee Balm clump is holding bloom real well considering the heavy rains.
Bumble bees like it. Haven't seen a humming bird yet, but I did see my first honeybee of the season. It was on my cuke flowers.

I sowed my carrots today. almost an entire 4x30' bed, about equal between Scarlet Keepers, and Boleros(F1) then a little heavy on  St Valerys.
Summer squash is starting to fire on all cylinders. A pair each of Black Zucchini, Saffron Yellow, and Lebanese White Marrow Bush - a big bushy plant that I believe will out perform the Zucchini. :surprised: 
I sowed more of the Yellow and White for a fall crop.

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

Nice plants!  I've got some Dorsets and my Jonah just started podding, maybe two or three days before yours.  I wish all my plants looked like yours!

Thanks guys and gals,
Pia, you embarass me ;)

I ate that alleged Marisol -no heat, but maybe it's just too green.
Most of the mild peppers are setting pods, especially a pair of Cherizos -nothing turning red or yellow though. I get impatient this time of year. I've harvested a handful each of jalas and serranos but they really aren't hot enough yet. Finally, I broke down and bought a few handfuls of fresh grocery store Jala for my last capsicum fix.
I stake a several of them today and top-dressed with compost and just about finished filling my last raised bed. Well, second to last...third or fourth to last..... :liar: . I just like building beds I guess. 

The super hots are coming along slowly but surely.

I'm trying to dissuade that cushaw vine (mid-right) from heading down into the peppers and just stay on top of the asparagus.

Non Boulevard

I may have screwed up on my carrots. I turned back the germination planks after 5 days and many had already sprouted - must faster than last year.

I top dressed with compost and just hope they don't scorch.

The bamboo trellis I twisted up for the cukes(Boston Pickling) seems to be appreciated.

That corn in the background is the Maiz Morada. It's about 8' or better and no sign of tasseling.

Thanks for reading, 
JJJ

After a week on the Outer Banks (vacay and seaweed collecting expedition), the  garden seemed to have fended fairly well for itself; no major animal damage, and rain was good.

The question, will these pods ever get ripe?
Makes me feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Cowhorn Cayenne

I thought they would be pointy, but they're plenty twisty.

Ah-ha! A ripe Cherezo.

And it had an appropriate heat level.

9 J. Nardello plants

Not big planst, but a fair hanging of green pods.

Caribbean Red Hab container plant

Getting a little color in it's cheeks

A phalanx of Fatallis

put on some bulk last week.

Another ripe Ah-ha; Thia chili on a little stressed-out plant. 

I've got a couple of more robust plants that are podding plethorically. 

Thanks for reading.
more to come
JJJ

Back