• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2015....Peppers,Peppers,Peppers.....

Peppers,Peppers,Peppers.....

This starts my third Grow Log on THP.

And “I (as we all promise) am cutting back this year”, but we'll all struggle not to plant willy-nilly way more than we can easily get in the ground, consume, or harvest for next summer. There are many less innocent passions to pursue so, “what the hay?” My goal as far as cut-back, is to not end up with more that 45 plants in the ground about the end of May. But the “sowing itch” could make that 60 in a heart beat.

It's about time to get some soil made up. Last year I think for the first time I started to really get a handle and some decent results in the making of container soils, due mostly to the advice of Ganjagirl on a 420 site. Plus, I tried some plain ol' coir with hydro nutes and that  works as good as soil. Even grew some tomatoe transplants in pure, well-composted oak leaves and guano tea. Worked just fine. I made a trip to an organic farm supply last September and stocked up to add to what a scrounge up locally. I have some bricks of coir and a bale of sphagnum already soaking, worm casting, azomite, kelp, perlite, vermiculite, compost, composted oak leaves, glacial rock dust, oyster shell grit, dolomite, and a few other goodies at the ready to start thinking seriously about a final recipe. [SIZE=10pt]Thirty days is good to let everything meld before sowing in, but 60 days is better. So it's none too early.[/SIZE]

I'm still looking for that magic start date that gets the best-sized transplant plant in the ground with plenty of time to ripen fruit. The super-hots, manzanos, and a few others are the main lots that I want to time-tweak. First year, supers were sown in early February, the plants were smallish (bad soil, cool grow area) at mid-May plant out. Still they made a more than adequate crop, though some varieties had a lot of green pods at frost. That can be a factor of summer heat interrupting pollination and not just immature plants. Then the there's day length...so many variables, so few equations. A lot of things work plenty well enough, I have a habit of over-thinking. The next year I started early in January, good soil and warm grow space, thinking bigger plants would produce more ripe pods and maybe sooner too. It was better, but the the plants may have been a little root bound, it was dry for a month after plant-out, for what ever reason they seemed to stall in the ground, more than just a little transplant shock, but nothing major. So this year I'm going to do a bit of a straddle. A few early January supers, but moving to a gallon pot at about 4-6 weeks. Last year, I moved a few from 3.5” to 5” but I think there wasn't enough recovery time or pot volume to make a difference from the ones that stayed in 3.5” square (deep) pots. But in the end, this year's protocols will be just slightly better educated guesses with plenty of unknowns to keep me interested.

Anyway's here is my sowing calendar for peppers subject to change (without discretion)

Sowing dates will also flex I'm sure. I just need something to help me focus and control the Itch.
I've spent a fair amount of time getting my seed database in order this past year. 

I'm doing a little less experimenting variety wise this year. Lots fewer supers, but plenty enough to heat things up. I've thought of growing supers in 5 gal SIP buckets, but before I do that I need to hook them up on a float-controlled water supply. A SIP with a big plant in it sometimes need watering everyday and I'd rather side-step that everyday thing.

One pepper that I'm getting good mileage from on the dinner plate is the Manzano. I've still got good fresh peppers in the fridge over a month old. 

I grew 6 plants and some had ripening issues, but I've got a couple of early starts already going in 5" pots.

At this rate I'll have to prune or something make it to May. Those sprouted in about 11 days and are 5 weeks from seed. 

Rather than idle my grow shelves I've been cropping lettuce and chard on them for salads since an extra cold Nov decimated my outdoor lettuce bed among other things.

This is 25 days from seeding.

I did get my garlic in the ground a little earlier this year (about a month ago) and a nice layer of composted leaves on it.

I should start giving it liquid nutes about late February.

The only real expansion I have in mind is a series of small raised beds about  30" x 48" for herbs, perennials, and what not.

Plus some 4x4 for roses, 

Maybe some wine grapes - Cabernet Franc, Chambourcin, Riesling, do OK around here.

I'll likely plant another 25 raspberries in late March.

2015 could be the year I finally start some bee hives. Ya never know.

Thanks for reading.

Loving what you're doing JJJ - will be following along this year.  I'm enjoying Manzanos, but have needed more time for ripening as well.  I found with mine that over wintering them was best.  I got several pods from them last year.  Your raised beds are looking great! And wow, that's a lot of variety in your soil mix.  Very complete.

Hey, Carl!  Those manzanos make mine look like pikers!
You have the magic touch, my friend!

Soil amendment is top notch!

Thanks, guys.

Pulpiteer said:
Loving what you're doing JJJ - will be following along this year.  I'm enjoying Manzanos, but have needed more time for ripening as well.  I found with mine that over wintering them was best.  I got several pods from them last year.  Your raised beds are looking great! And wow, that's a lot of variety in your soil mix.  Very complete.
  I think my manzano had been frozen before I got it into a pot to OW. I'll try again maybe. I'm only growing 1 or 2 in-ground this year. An idea may be to a start a "late" one, say mid-June and grow it out in a SIP bucket. About a month before frost, prune it  a bit to keep it in check, then bring inside as an OW. That way it never has to try to re-establish from ground-to-pot in the waning grow season. Might work.

January started cold,  but quickly turned to slightly above average temps with not much rain or snow. I think Nov was just as cold.

Last week the ground was right and I went ahead a turned over a 4x18 bed that I'm going to trial some different varieties of potatoes in.

Thought I might try to bonchi a Fidalgo Roxa this year (and maybe an Inca Red drop).
It's a dang pretty, purpley plant with unusual shaped pods.
Heat about like a hab but sweeter I think.

I spilled the one on the left, hence the jumble. Thought I'd twist/fuse a pair of these. Any advice would be welcome.

My manzanos never look happy. But even this one is growing.

This one is really growing.

And much more symmetrical than the smaller one....

...well into it's third fork. I've been pinching buds.

If you have a light system set-up you really ought to be growing greens in it's off season.

It also keeps me from over sowing peppers if you know what I mean :D
I usually start clipping at about 3 weeks but this one has gone longer. I usually clip and let it re-grow before 
dumping the soil to re-ammend. 

And onions are up.

I've also taken-over seedling duties for my daughter's garden since she's tending a  3-month-old and a job from home.
I planted her left over onion seed but none have sprouted.

Thanks for reading.

It's all looking good brother! Have you thought of trimming half of those leaves that are shocked. Cut them back some (dont take the whole leaf kinda like they do in cloning where they clip 1/2 to 2/3 off the leaf ) so nute uptake is not so drastic on healing the whole plant. Just a thought pal. Cheers!

Hey, Scott. I'll shoot for first week in April if not sooner.
Since Oct. , huh? That's roughly the same age as these from last year. They should be ready for the ground.

These were 83 days old. 6 week inside under fluorescent lamps, and about that long outside in a small hoop house.
They (Flat of Italy) made good sized onions by end of June.

organic pepper said:
It's all looking good brother! Have you thought of trimming half of those leaves that are shocked. Cut them back some (dont take the whole leaf kinda like they do in cloning where they clip 1/2 to 2/3 off the leaf ) so nute uptake is not so drastic on healing the whole plant. Just a thought pal. Cheers!
 I'm not sure I follow you. Are you talking about pruning the Manzano? I have heard of leaf pruning for transplants.

JJJessee said:
Hey, Scott. I'll shoot for first week in April if not sooner.
Since Oct. , huh? That's roughly the same age as these from last year. They should be ready for the ground.

These were 83 days old. 6 week inside under fluorescent lamps, and about that long outside in a small hoop house.
They (Flat of Italy) made good sized onions by end of June.

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you talking about pruning the Manzano? I have heard of leaf pruning for transplants.
Yes. Treat it the same. I'm assuming You are trying to grow it out? New shoots and stuff? Trimming some of the leaf matter should help put more energy towards the new shoots.  Thats if thats what we are going for. Digging those other veggies! yea buddy, do they look tasty!

Well yours look a lot further along than mine ;)

As soon as I can get back into the garden (we had rain) they go in the dirt....

Thanks guys,

I'm still on the slow boat to pepper plant-out (about May 15 give or take) and mostly keeping my pepper powder dry. 
Another pot of bonchi candidates have sprouted....

These are Inca Red Drops. I'll clip one from each pair and attempt a  fusion-twist at some point. 
These seed were from a train or swap marked Beth Boyd 2012, so the Aji Queen lives on.

A pot from Incas I saved last year have yet to pop and may very well not.

I have started  a few supers that I want to  up-pot to about gallon size or better to see how that goes.

Red Bhut (dulac's strain at F4)
TS Yellow CARDI (fiogga)
Charapita (San Patrico)
Fatalli (self-saved)
Carolina Reaper (self-saved)

My mopey manzanos are budding like crazy(I pinch)

Even a sucker on the  small one is budding.

They should probably be potted up. And I intend to. Real Soon.

I assembled 11 mini-raised beds yesterday 30"x48" x10.5" I built 4 last year and have soil in them. The target is 18.
That's a lot of digging. Good thing I'm part ground hog.

Also found a good pallet to make a 2'x2'x8' and got  that chiseled into the hillside. I'll use it for gourds this year until the soil in it mellows some.

Here's about half the sand I've hauled for the onion bed. I'm stopping at 7cu ft for this 4x23  this year.
The lower wall was replaced with stronger supports.

wet sand is very heavy.

So are wet leaves.

I hauled 9 42-gallon bags from my neighbors maples that some workers were loading with a grain scoop a in steady rain a couple of weeks ago.
My leaves are all oak. They go on the paths.

Oh yeah, my other bonchi candidates are coming along....

Fidalgo Roxa 19 days from popping.

I think my back needs a rest.

Thanks for reading.

Nice soil color in the beds! All that hard work is surely paying off.

Plants look great, and I agree the Manzano's are ready for a larger container.

Can't wait to see how things progress!

Love the glog JJJ. Gives me plenty of ideas. I think I am going to start a basil and greens rotation on my grow shelf as the peppers get bigger (going to move them to window sills a couple weeks after their big pot up). I'd really like to try to keep fresh herbs and greens around, and your grow convinces me it can be done under lights.

Thanks, guys.

Pulpiteer said:
I second what Paul said - those terraces look good.  Cool to see how you're putting it together.

Also glad to see seeds from Beth going on.

Thanks, Andy. Beds are coming along. I started them in April of 2012 planting about 90 asparagus crowns in 2- 4' x 25', then I built two more that fall, and couple more here and there. It's kinda got outta hand. :confused:
Yeah, Beth's Inca Drops are doing fine. The one's saved -nada. I resowed with Goat's Weed for a bonchi. Should look good if I can get a fuzzy one. 

Devv said:
Nice soil color in the beds! All that hard work is surely paying off.

Plants look great, and I agree the Manzano's are ready for a larger container.

Can't wait to see how things progress!

Thanks, Scott, yes my ground is looking a little darker every year. And there were places in this year's onion bed that the worms were getting good and plentiful too.

Manzanos got new shoes.

Both looked about the same. This is the smaller plant.

You can tell they're excited.
I don't know if those are 2 or 3 gallons pots, but they're none too big. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the glog JJJ. Gives me plenty of ideas. I think I am going to start a basil and greens rotation on my grow shelf as the peppers get bigger (going to move them to window sills a couple weeks after their big pot up). I'd really like to try to keep fresh herbs and greens around, and your grow convinces me it can be done under lights.
Thanks, Adam. The closer your garden is to your kitchen, the more you'll get out of it, or so I've heard. 
It's so shady at my kitchen that I use the land at my business to garden. 
But I recently moved my cold frame that I cobbled together a couple of years ago to the house.

I haven't used it effectively, but I just re-read Eliot Coleman's "Four Seaons Gardening" and it has me thinking about setting it up proper for this coming fall. The leaves will be gone and I'll figure out something to put in it. Brassicas don't seem to like it too warm after they sprout. So I've got a flat of Baker Creek's Siamese Dragon Stir Fry mix and my newly popped cabbages out there now too. Plus I had put down a little soil and sown onions in Dec. They are very slow, but  some nice early spring weather might get them going

Jeff H said:
Really nice JJJ. Looks like another banner year for you.

Thanks, Jeff. I'm chompin' at the bit. 
Aren't we all?

Thanks for reading.

I had to look up Eliot Coleman because his name sounded so familiar - he is a guy that some of the organic folks in my area talked to me about.  Very cool.  How did you like the book?

Back