• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

jma1787's 2014 Grow Log

My 2013 pepper crop was a disappointment. Most of the chilies I planted in the ground were either eaten by rabbits, died or grew poorly. I suspect that high soil pH is the reason for poor growth performance, but I haven't tested the soil. I do have a Pin Oak that wasn't doing well though and the arborist who treated it told me that the soil in my area has a high pH value (high 7's). I also made the mistake of thinking that fish emulsion was a complete fertilizer. I know better now.

Other plants that I grew in pots were started late, grew slowly and failed to set fruit before it became too hot and the blossoms dropped all summer long. Once it cooled off enough to set fruit, it became a race against time for the pods to ripen before it freezes. 

I do plan to overwinter several of the 2013 plants for an early start next year, but my lack of success has forced me to come up with a better strategy.

2014 Crop Plan

To begin, I'm going to start my seeds this month (November). I've research methods and equipment and after a few days on Amazon, I think I have everything I need.

My crop this year has many super hots, but after the first of the year, I'll also start some Jalapeños, Chocolate Bells, California Wonder Bells and Banana Peppers. I also want to try some Aji Amarillo. However, this is what I will start this week.

Red Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Red Trinidad Scropion
Red Paper Latern
Trinidad Yellow 7 Pot
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Chocolate Habanero
Red Aji Dulce (no heat)
Red Savina
Orange Habanero
Fatalii

The Fatalli seeds were ordered from Pepper Gal where I also ordered sodium nitrate to soak the seeds in before planting. Everything else was ordered from Hinterland Trading.

Equipment

For equipment to germinate the seeds and maintain the plants until spring, I ordered:

21" x 11" x 2" propagation trays (5)
21" x 11" propagation tray domes (2)
9" x 20" Ecogear Seed Heating Mat (1)
Hydrofarm FLCDG125D Fluorowing Compact Fluorescent System w/CFL Bulb (2)
Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats (1)
23" W x 13" D x 30" H Three Shelf Unit (1)

All in, I spent ~$270, but everything can be used multiple times and should provide several years of productive use. (I might need to buy new grow bulbs at some point though.)

To hold my seedlings, I already have more new six-pack cell units than I know what to do with. Since each tray can hold 8 units of 6 cells for 48 total cells, I will need to double crop some varieties.

Seeding Method

Since super hot varieties are difficult to germinate, I'm going to employ a dual soaking strategy this year. The first step will be a 10 minute soak in a 3% hydrogen peroxide, water solution to reduce the risk of seed born viruses, diseases, and fungi. I'll utilize 1.5 teaspoons of H2O2 to one cup of warm water for this step.

The second stage will include a 24 hour soak in a solution of potassium nitrate and warm water mixed at 1 teaspoon KNO3 to one quart of water. I'll then place the solution and seeds in small, sealed jars on top of a seed heating mat for 24 hours.

For a planting medium, I plan on using Jiffy Organic Seeding Mix. Since germination may be erratic, I plan on cutting individual cells from six-pack units, filling them then placing them into uncut six-pack units in the heated propagation tray. This will allow me to move individual plants to under the grow light once they've sprouted.

Using a heat mat plugged into a thermostat, I plan to keep the cells at a targeted 85F in a closed propagation tray until germination. 

Indoor Growing Strategy

Once the seedlings have developed their first true leaves, I'll transplant the most healthy plants into larger containers using Fox Farms Ocean Forrest potting soil. I will then place the larger containers (probably 16 oz Solo cups) in propagation trays. I plan on hanging the two Hydrofarm Grow Lights on the second and third shelf of the 3-shelf unit I bought at Home Depot. I'll connect the lights and a small oscillating fan I have to a timer to provide roughly 15 hours of light and gentle air movement a day.

To maintain proper plant health, I plan on using Bayer Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control for season long protection. I had a very difficult time controlling aphids this year using Neem oil and around September, white flies added to my frustration. I've heard good things about this product and look forward better insect control this year.

Once the seedlings are up, I'll start them with a very weak fish emulsion feeding once a week, but after they are transplanted, I plan on bi-weekly (or weekly, if I see some plants need it) feeding of Fish Emulsion (5-1-1), Vigoro Plant Food (10-10-10) and Epsom salts all dissolved in tap water that has sat in an open container for a few days to dissipate the chlorine or rain water if I'm able to collect enough. I also plan on spreading bone meal onto the surface of the soil every other week. 

I'm a little concerned that my fertility program has too much N and not enough P or K, but I've read that others have had success with this regiment, so I'm going to start with that. If anyone has a better recommendation, I'd like to hear about it.

I started my Grow Log last week, but decided to post it here today so there will be a few entries all posted today, but correctly dated in the body of the post.

November 3, 2013

Over the summer, I bought several orange Rocoto peppers from Fiesta Market and saved a bunch of seeds. To date, I've tried twice to germinate those seeds with 0% success. Today I tried a new seeding method. I preformed a 10 minute H2O2 soak followed by a 36 hours soak in weak chamomile tea set on a heating mat. I intended a 24 hour soak, but was not able to plant when originally planned. I was going to use KNO3, but it has not arrived yet.

I planted 18 seeds, placed them in a covered seed tray and placed on a heating mat attached to a thermostat set to 85F.

November 9, 2013

Began the 2014 crop process today, however I changed my variety mix from what I originally planned above. I did this because I received some bonus seeds from Hinterland Trading that I wanted to try. So, today, I began soaking 13 different varieties using the soaking method described earlier. Also included in the crop plan is the Yellow Rocoto I planed on November 3, but which has not sprouted yet.

To simplify the soaking procedure, instead of using individual containers for each variety, I utilized two plastic ice cube trays. I numbered each cell in the tray with a number that corresponded with a particular variety. I mixed the H2O2 solution in a measuring cup then filled the first tray to ~ 3/4 full and added 12 seeds to each cell. While they were soaking, I then mixed the KNO3 solution and filled a second tray, again about 3/4 full and transferred the seeds to the second tray, placed it on a plastic lid in case of spillage and placed the whole unit on a  heating mat in located in the corner of a out of the way room.

November 10, 2013

After soaking the seeds soaked for roughly 24 hours, I started the sowing process for the 2014 crop:

Fatalii
Scotch Bonnet
Douglah
Yellow Devil's Tongue
Red Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Red Trinidad Scropion
Red Paper Latern
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Trinidad Yellow 7 Pot
Red Aji Dulce (no heat)
Red Savina
Orange Habanero
Yellow Rocoto

In addition to the varieties above, I also plan to over winter some of this year's plants, perhaps 4-5 plants in all. Since a freeze is forecasted mid-next week (Nov 12-13), I need to decide which plants to bring in soon. I also have seven Red Rocoto plants that I grew from seed this past summer. I started them in the summer because I've read that it takes about a season and a half to raise Rocotos. Right now, they are roughly 8" tall.

For starting my seeds, I used Jiffy Organic Seed Starter medium. To make it easier to work with, I mixed the soil with distilled water prior to filling the planting containers. I filled each cell, leaving a little room at the top, then placed two seeds in each cell. I then covered the seeds with roughly 1/8" - 1/4" of planting medium. This method produces a very loosely filled environment making it easy for the seeds to sprout and the plants to grow in.

Since germination will be varied with some seeds of the same variety taking longer than others, I cut individual cells from six pack units and placed each into a corresponding intact unit. This will allow me to move spouted plants to a location where they can get light. Also, since these containers will be temporary and I didn't feel like writing the variety names 90 times, I labeled each cell with a number corresponding to the variety in the list above.

I then placed each six-pack into a propagation tray with a clear plastic cover. The two trays were placed on a double sized heating mat connected to a thermostat set to 85F. Even thought the soil was already moistened, I sprayed the the surface of each cells with a mist of distilled water before closing them up.

stc3248 said:
Sweet John!!! I like the direction you're headed...very detailed and tracable steps to document successes and failures. Well done thus far and good luck with your season!
Thanks Shane. I took a look at your 2013 glog, but realized I was going to need more time since the first ~10 pages or so just covered January! I'm certainly going to try your poppers!

Those look very good.  The short one has forked, I see!
The tall one can't be far behind.  Every season I have had
a pubescens plant in particular outgrow the others.  Some
are just rarin' to go!  Yours will really get it on once out in 
Spring!  Good work.

chilli whisperer said:
Very nice glog,I am busy with my first season,and I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning of the season!

Thanks Jacobus! I think we all make mistakes when we plant our first "crop". The important thing is that we learn from them. No matter how much research you do, something is going to go wrong. I never would have thought that rabbits would repeatedly eat my plants to the main stem over and over again, not matter what I did.

That is true,we do learn in our mistakes. And over here on the farm we have huge rabbits,we call the mountain rabbits,they eat everything,but they don't come close to our house! :)

December 17, 2013

I finished rigging my automatic drip system tonight. Despite the simple design, it was really a pain in the ass because the tubing comes coiled and doesn't uncoil easily, especially for the short pieces necessary for this system to work. It also didn't help that I had pre-existing cuts on my left index finger and my right thumb which made it difficult to attach all the pieces. Nevertheless, this project is completed and tested...no leaks! 

I've also attached the pump to a timer set to run the pump three days a week for ten minutes. I arrived at this setting by estimating how much water would be used each cycle, how long I would be gone and how much water the bucket holds. While not an exact calculation, it should be okay. I may set up a back up water source just in case.

As I stated above, the tubing was not very cooperative so the system is not visually "pretty", but who cares. I'm the only one who will see it, beside those who view this picture and I only need it to work for two weeks.

E01B6D81-891F-4D15-BD0E-EBE7A25521CF_zpsuvaggp60.jpg

[SIZE=medium]One of the more difficult things I had to overcome was reducing the pump out feed (5/16") to the diameter of a standard drip irrigation fitting. It took three fittings. Since this system is not under pressure, I don't expect this section to leak, but I did tape it inside the bucket just in case. You gotta love duct tape![/SIZE]

7CC0CC9B-C77E-4027-A0F9-165BC194FF97_zpsy9i2sw07.jpg

[SIZE=medium]This may not be the most [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]elegant[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] system every built, but it should keep my plants alive until January 1. Since I also travel quite a bit for work, this system will also come in handy for those times when I'm out of town. While my wife did a good job of keeping my seedings alive while I was in Mexico, I think this system will be more [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]consistent and reliable. [/SIZE]

Great DIY project, jma!  Looks like it will do the trick for ya.  You'll
probably have to tweak the schedule a little, but it doesn't matter
how you go, that's the case!

Can't wait to see the results out of your unit!

That is actually a very cool setup you got there,that drip system is a great plant...where does everyone get the timers? And how do they look and how does it work?

[SIZE=11pt]January 9, 2014[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I returned from vacation the night of January 1, but since I had to leave on a business trip the following morning, I didn’t have much time to tend to my plants.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]During my absence, I was very worries that my automated drip system would not work as anticipates, and I would return to dead plants or soggy carpet. But for the most part, it worked fine. I say for the most part because while nothing died, not all plants were not watered evenly. Four plants were very dry with wilted leaves and roughly twelve plants were over watered and were sitting in mud. In the little time I had, I managed to water the dry plants and drain the wet ones before I departed again for a five day trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]When I returned from this second trip on January 6, all plants had made progress, the soggy containers had dried out and the wilted plants had sprang back to life. I mixed up a nutrient cocktail and watered all plants. I also took a picture of a Yellow Trinidad 7 Pot as an example of one of the more healthy plants.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
6F6C27E8-0045-460B-8AC6-06279E7492BA_zpsmoflyvsi.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]This is the first time I’ve frown this particular variety and I was amazed at the leaf size and deep green color. I also took a comparison picture of a Red Paper Lantern (left) and a Yellow Bhut Jolokia (right).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
A7A3688A-A055-440A-A621-492C77FA9C0C_zps4eepy5gy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The Bhut was one of the plants that was sitting in mud when I returned from vacation and I’m thinking that the water stress stunted its growth. The RPL was one of the plants that appeared to have a normal supply of water while I was gone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]To capture the progress of the entire crop to date, I also took the following three pictures:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
F030CDBA-2C01-4AD0-8865-494CD1388D42_zpsjhhvnfli.jpg
[/SIZE]

You can see a couple plants are a little dry. They'll get a drink tonight.

0F30ED8C-A208-4659-B9D5-B96BBD998063_zpsa1hwj8tg.jpg

[SIZE=medium]These twelve plants all look good with great color and size.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
E7A235BC-5A26-49E0-A82F-4311527A0805_zpsibyywikd.jpg
[/SIZE]

Several of these plants were over watered while I was on vacation and the large plant in the back left corner had some leaves singed by the grow light.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress of the crop to date. This weekend, I plan to start my annuum selection. Not too many, just a couple. More to follow.

January 10, 2014

Today I sowed the seeds of four additional varieties. Since these are fairly early maturing varieties I probably could have waited another couple weeks, but I'm hoping for an early spring here in Texas.

Jalafuego Jalapeño
Chocolate Beauty Bell
California Wonder
Banana

I wanted to grow a large sized jalapeño variety that would be good for stuffing but wasn't sure which would be best. I thought I would order seeds on-line, but I came across Jalafuego at the local nursery and bought a packet. As it's described, the peppers are pretty big and pretty hot for a jalapeño. If anyone has any experience with Jalafuego, I'd like to here your opinion. 

I planted the two Bell varieties for cooking. The Banana Peppers are for my wife. They're the hottest peppers she can eat and I didn't want her to feel left out. LOL.

For round two, I didn't do an overnight potassium nitrate soak since these annuums shouldn't be difficult to germinate. I did do the H2O2 soak for virus protection though. Just as with round one, the six-packs are in a covered tray sitting on a heating mat connected to a thermostat set to 85F. I'm curious to see how long it will take for the first seeds to pop.

[SIZE=medium]I'm expecting some seeds from Paul G later this week. He's sharing Aji Amarillo and some wild varieties with me and once those are planted, I'll have everything I'm going to grow this year in the soil. Now I need to start planning where and how I'm going to grow all these plants in my back yard. I have some rough ideas, but I really need to firm up my strategy this month.[/SIZE]

Hey jma,nice to here about the new seeds you've sown
And glad to hear PaulG is sharing some with you,as you may
already see there's a lot of friendly people willing to share.
Good luck with those seeds man

Those are awesome plants, John.  
Should make great plant outs come Spring!

Great job on the vaca-water sytestem! You may have had less trouble rigging it as a bottom water system and timing how long it took to fill the pans about half full...but the bottom line is it worked! Looks as though with some tweaking you could run that as a hydro system. Hmmmm....you got me thinking brother!!! I like the ingenuity I am seeing over here. You should revive the ghetto grow gear thread with that setup! 

Back