• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Joe's Long question

A friend of mine has a 2 year old Joe's long plant. The odd thing is in the 2nd year all his pods are jet black! what's going on? I've never seen this kind of change on an over wintered plant before. Any ideas?

Yeah, that's a strange one. Only thing I can think of is that's it's developed the ability to produce "sunscreen" for itself.

Is it the ripe or unripe stage that's black? And are they black all over, or more in places exposed to direct sun?

Sorry no pics, all I know is that they are black all over, none of this splotchy unripe blackness you usually see! Also my friend is in the UK! Sunscreen!!!! hehehe

I have had a few of Joe's Long Reds and Cayennes turn black in the process of turning red... Its like a transition from really dark green to red.

They didn't stay that way, though. Red followed immediately after.

We have some goat's weed peppers that get a lot of sun and they always go jet black. Kind of weird looking because the bottom will be green.

orchardhills said:
We have some goat's weed peppers that get a lot of sun and they always go jet black. Kind of weird looking because the bottom will be green.

thats is normal for the goats weed they should turn black befor they turn red

Back