food John's Recipe Archive

main.php

Sneaky Sweet and Smoky Wings!

Meat:
2-3 dozen raw chicken wings
2-4 habaneros
Sat & Pepper

Finely chop or julienne cut the habaneros, with or without seeds. Toss the wings in the chopped habaneros and some of the olive oil and bake these in the oven at 375 and prep the sauce.

Sauce:
1/3 cup Soy Garden spread (or butter or margarine if you wish)
1 5oz bottle of Jalapeno Death Sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
2-3 tablespoons of honey
1 pint of black & tan
Sudden Death Sauce or your favorite XXX (insane heat) level hot sauce (optional)

Zap the spread in the microwave until softened. Toss everything into a good size mixing bowl except the Sudden Death. Grab a wire whisk and beat the mixture vigorously until you get a nice emulsified mixture. It should look like a nice thick creamy salad dressing. Give it a taste and see if it needs any salt or black pepper. It shouldn't need much, if any. Add the Sudden Death a dash at a time. You don't want the sauce to get red or dark, hence the "sneaky" in the name. Get your sauce nice and fiery hot. Ma

Next, drink the black&tan. By the time you finish, the wings should be cooked through. Grab your tongs and dunk each wing in the sauce and place them back in the oven at 400 degrees. When the sauce dries on the wings, dunk them again and repeat this until the sauce is totally baked into the now well done wings. The finished wings should look plain in appearance as if there is nothing on them but some thyme (adding to the sneaky factor). The last coating of sauce you can leave wet if you wish. Have these with any dipping sauce you wish, or eat them as-is. I find that a dark beer and a green salad teams up well with them. The smoke and the honey balance the heat on these and make them extremely flavorful. The sweetness allows twice as much heat to be added which is nice.

This recipe has the added bonus of being lactose free (for you lactards out there) with the use of the Soy Garden spread as well as being baked, not fried. If the wings are cooked well done or "cooked hard", allot of the fat will melt off into the pan. While wings are not health food, this recipe is a nice alternative to traditional hot wings.

June 2008 update!!!

Now usually when i make the sauce i tend to make more than i need, as this recipe should also reflect. As long as you are not putting raw chicken in the sauce when you dunk them, you can save the sauce as a base for future meals. I usually have about half cup of sauce left over when i'm done. I save the sauce because it's now not only loaded with good pepper flavors, but it also has the added bits of chicken fat and juices. I use this as a condiment with eggs or on a sandwich. It's awesome!

The 2nd use for the leftover sauce is how i did it this weekend.

This same sauce became my "Death At A Jersey Luau" wings. To my half cup of leftover sauce as a base, i added 1 half cup of Blair's Habanero Mango Heat sauce, half a cup total of crushed pinaplle plus juice, and Jersey Death to taste. These wings were AMAZING! So tasty and so hot and i WILL be making these again and again!

I'll post more of my recipes as i locate them. My chili is a killer! :mouthonfire: It burns going in, and burns coming out. :onfire:

FineExampl's Bitchin' Chicken

1 Whole chicken, quartered (in other words 2 breast/wings, and 2 leg/thighs obviously), any size (i use something about the size of an "oven stuffer roaster", but whatever's on sale works nicely)

1 grill (The grill i use is about 3 feet long so you will have to use your imagination and come up with something that will work for you.) If you don't have a grill, see the very bottom.

about 3-4 cups of mesquite and/or hickory chips soaked in water for about 20-30 minutes so they don't turn to ash.

RUB:
paprika, kosher salt, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder

Use approx. half or up to 1 cup GOOD paprika (DON'T SKIMP HERE! Paprika's are not created equal). I use a good mild Hungarian paprika that is found in most good supermarkets. That cheap $1.50 plastic container might as well be red food coloring. If you went with the cup of paprika use half of that amount in kosher salt (not the iodized crystal crap, it won't dissolve right). So it's a 1 to one half ratio of salt vs paprika...cool? cool. Now...get some good dried thyme, about 2-3 tablespoons should do. You really can't overdo thyme imho. Approx. 2 or so tablespoons or so of black and cayenne pepper. Use your judgment on the cayenne. I use alot and it's not spicy at all. As much onion and garlic powder as you think it needs.
Now, start with the paprika and everything but the salt and mix it up good. SLOWLY add the salt to the mixture and taste it on your finger as you go. When it's at a level of saltiness you like, add just a tiny bit more as alot of it will fall off while cooking.

Rub the mixture LIBERALLY all over the chicken. Make sure to get it in all the little nooks and crannies.

Divide your grill in half. Coals on one side and a drip pan on the other. I only use hardwood as it's more reliable and burns hotter and cleaner and costs about the same. Get your coals nice and hot (if using briquets shame on you, but make sure they are well ashed over before you begin.). On the no-coals side put a drip pan of some kind. I usually just use a basket of aluminum foil and it's good enough. Keep a water spritzer nearby to prevent flareups while turning.

Bird time! Place the chicken on the no-coals side placing the thicker edges closest to the coals. Now it's time to add smoke. Take the presoaked chips (drain them of course) and put half on top of the coals. They will not douse the fire. In few seconds you should have a nice plume of white smoke, this is good. Black smoke is bad and can cause cancer, so be careful. Close the lid immediately and open a vent to let a bit of air in, but don't leave the lid open or you'll lose all that precious smoke.

RESIST THE URGE to open the lid! let the chicken be for about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes the smoke will slow down some. Open the lid, stoke the fire (watch for flareups), and turn your meat. Repeat this process once more and add more smoke chips midway through. You should have enough chips for an hour of constant smoke if you don't rush the process.

The meat's internal temp should be about 160-170 degrees when it's done. For an over stuffer type bird at a grill temp between 300 and 375 it should take about 45 min to 1 hour of cooking time with this indirect heating method. When your meats at temp, remove it immediately or you'll have dry chicken. If it's still not done give it a couple minutes of direct grilling with your spritzer at the ready. Flames and food are bad people...carcinogens are not good for you.

Now the fun part, eating. When you get the meat off the grill and on the table the smell of the meat will blow your mind! The meat should be black or dark brown in appearance as the paprika will char slightly, but this is okay i assure you. The inner meat will have varying color due to the smoking and should be cooked to your liking.

This is not an exact recipe, but it's how i do it every time and it's so damn delicious. Kids will love this, as will all chicken lovers. Serve it with some fresh steamed asparagus and some rice as i often do.

My Puttanesca Sauce

Ok start off by getting yourself some decent pasta. Whatever you like, but penne works well with this sauce as well as pipette. Basically anything that holds onto sauce is wonderful. Don't let it get soggy. Al dente means al dente. It should be slightly firm.

1 medium onion or half of one large (approx 1 cup) chopped well
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes (28oz)
1 small can of tomato paste
6 or more cloves crushed garlic
2 tablespoons (or more) of capers (i get them in a jar)
1 small can of anchovy filets (the small king oscar can is enough for a little over 2 tablespoons, you won't taste fish in the sauce at all for all you anchovy hating wusses)
1 cup (or more) black or kalamata olives
approx 1 tablespoon (or more depending on your liking) GOOD dried basil (or a nice handful of fresh if you have it)
1 half teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1 half teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup marsala (or any dark red wine; can be omitted or substitute a good dark beer if you like)
dash of salt
dash of pepper
(if you like meat, make some nice meatballs or something, but you don't need them for this sauce)
(feel free to have some parmesan reggiano cheese with this, but use sparingly as this dish has plenty of salt)

In a LARGE pot - oil - onions - simmer til soft and about to turn brown. Try not to let them brown, just get em squishy. When they get squishy add your garlic, let it chill with the onions a minute or two.
Next, add the rest of your ingredients and let them get nice and hot. Turn your heat to low (LOW, not just below medium or anything else...low means low).

Go throw in a DVD (Apocalypse Now perhaps) and watch it. When the credits start rolling cook your pasta. When the credits finish, your pasta should be perfect. Now, get a big bowl, a nice dark beer or red wine, a piece of bread, and watch the making of featurettes on your DVD while you eat.

This recipe leaves enough sauce left over for later. I usually use half and freeze half. However, it keeps well in the fridge for over a week in perfect conditions.

This is my favorite pasta sauce. It's addictive! Single guys....if you want to impress a chick....this is THE sauce.

FineExampl's Sausage Sauce

1 large can crushed tomatos
1 can Ro-Tel (diced tomatos and chilis)
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 large sweet onion (vidalia, maya gold, etc)
1/4 cup extra virgin
6 links of sweet italian sausage (out of casings)
1 teaspoon dried basil or as much fresh basil as you like
Garlic (about 6 cloves worth at least)
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

Onion, oil, sausage, pot. Get the onions nice and soggy. No need to fully cook the sausage as it will be in there for a while. Dump the rest in and bring to a bubble. Turn to low flame and simmer for a few hours. I let mine sit about 4 hours while i did other things. The sausage will melt in your mouth at that point. It's a tasty sauce. Next time i make it i will use hot sausage and omit the pepper flakes.

Last night i took some chopped garlic, jalapeno, and orange hab. Took that and a slab of cheese and stuffed a chicken breast with it and baked it in the oven. I had it with Big Ed's bbq sauce last night, but not today. Today i had it with some death sauce and it was way way better.

So yeah...stuff yer chicken breasts with junk. That's yummy.

Try my recipes!

Back