• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Jolokia Newbie Looking for Feeding Advice

Im sorry if this question has been asked a million times. This is my first time on this site. Anyways, I know NOTHING of growing Bhut Jolokia or any other plant for that matter. I ordered some seeds on Amazon and they arrived. I live in Miami (temperature is not a problem), so i figure the first month I will have them growing indoors. A week ago i put for seeds to soak up in water and put some in a napkin to germinate. The next day i planted the ones soaked in water in small plastic cups with soil in them. A week later one of the cups is showing signs of a small grass like sprout. Also, the ones in the napkins started to sprout and i moved them into their own cups with soil.
Anyways I need to know what to feed them ones they start to grow. I know the first few weeks they just need oisture and warm temperature to sprout, but how about the rest of the plants life? What do I feed it and how much do I give it? When exactly do I start feeding them? A month after they have started to grow? I need help! I need the basics and I need a feeding schedule and I need to know what to feed them :)

thanks for the help.

too many variables...but as a general rule with chiles, less is more...

the search button on the menu bar is your best friend..

Welcome from Fort Worth

too many variables...but as a general rule with chiles, less is more...

the search button on the menu bar is your best friend..

Welcome from Fort Worth

I dont need variables. All I need is a name of the food and when to feed them. Not hard at all. I used the search and i dont find anything about feeding except for my own posting. can someone help please!

Well, like AJ said, less really IS more with pepper plants.
As far as growing your baby seedlings, first things first...do not, I repeat, do NOT over-water them!!! It will kill them, and you will be left wondering what the hell you did wrong. After that, you have awhile before you start giving them ANYTHING. For ME, I usually wait until AFTER the 3rd set of true-leaves come out. ("True leaves" are the leaves that come AFTER the first set of leaf-looking petals. Those are cotyledons. Im sure I mis-spelled that.) When I DO start to fertilize my plants that young, I use a 1/4 strength mixture compared to what I normally use.
One thing you will find on this site, and in general, is that different people have different schedules/theories on time frames, ferts, etc.
When you DO start feeding them, there are TONS of things you can use to feed your plants. Last year I just used MG Bloom Booster, and Epsom salt. I used one one week, and the other on alternating weeks. And like AJ said, LESS IS MORE!! I didnt use the suggested amounts on the box of MG. I did one scoop for every 2 gallons. (My watering can is 2 gallons.) With the Epsom salt, I just sprinkled a little around the bases of the plants, then watered. I would say most of my plants got to at LEAST 4-5 feet tall, and produced PLENTY of pods.
Again, there are a LOT of different things you can use for "food" for these plants. This year I will be using strictly worm castings, and Epsom salt.
Whats fun about this stuff is you can just experiment. (i.e. Using worm castings THIS year, versus MG last year.) Find something you like, something that works well for YOUR set-up, and something that works for YOUR budget.

Thats about all the info I can give right now without over-loading ya! There are LOTS of great people here that know what they are doing. Dont be afraid to ask questions. Just try to keep them to one or two at a time! lol

Well, like AJ said, less really IS more with pepper plants.
As far as growing your baby seedlings, first things first...

I dont have a budget, so I can try whatever is going to produce the hottest peppers. Yeild is important. I havent tried a jolokia and I want to try the famous hottest pepper in the world. anyways...

So when exactly do I start giving it the MG Bloom/Worms? How many weeks should pass before i start feeding it food other than water?
And when I give it the MG Bloom, how often should I give it water?

I do believe that chilli plants will grow with just water. In nature they get all their nutrients from what is in the soil. You need to think about what is in the soil. If it is completely sterile dirt with no nutrients in it (unlikely, there is always something in it), and you water them with sterile water (also unlikely) they will struggle to grow very big if at all.

So.. your ANSWER "A small amount of a cheap basic tomato fertilizer every fortnight is the easiest to remember and most widely available. You can do better than that of course but that will be enough make things happen."

If you don't want to get into the finer points of special nutrient profiles etc.. then just stick with that. Observe how the plants respond to the fertilizer and watering schedule over time. Next season try something a little different and compare results. Better yet, experiment with different amounts or types of fertilizer and watering schedules with different plants growing alongside each other so you can see the results instantly.

It is a long process and the best thing you can learn is from personal experience.

oh yeah and :welcome:

edit: "How many weeks should pass before i start feeding it food other than water?"

Hot Pooper said "For ME, I usually wait until AFTER the 3rd set of true-leaves come out."

fertilizer is not going to determine the heat level of your crop. sean (pooper) had it right for the most part. you can use algoflash , spray n grow , seabird poop or a million other possibilities. just got to play it by ear and find out which fert suits you best. best of luck!

I dont need variables. All I need is a name of the food and when to feed them. Not hard at all. I used the search and i dont find anything about feeding except for my own posting. can someone help please!

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass in my response to you...just the opposite, trying to help...if you search for the correct things you might get some hits...like try fertilize and seedlings...

with that said, good luck to you...my last post on your threads

Mister....experimenting is the biggest key here. Like mega said, you COULD get away with doing absolutely nothing, if you wanted. But, for the type of person that comes to a website like this, nothing "simple" is good enough. We want to push our plants.
As far as feeding them ferts/watering them....I use one scoop for 2 gallons of water. 2 gallons of water will usually water 2-3 plants in 5 gallon buckets. As far as when to water, I will usually wait until my plants start to wilt a tiny bit. Again, over-watering your plants is a BAD thing.

And fyi, I would maybe try to be a little nicer about asking for help. Even though Im sure you dont mean it, you seem a little "resistant." Being nice on this website goes a looooooong way!

Doesn't matter. If you plant them out in potting soil then that will have fertilizer in them.

Then use whatever is available as long as it doesn't have some unusual NPK ratio. But people like stuff with the right label. So maybe buy tomato fertilizer. It's all the same stuff anyway.

Awesome!! Dont forget the pics!!!

so far this is what ive got:

photo11.JPG

I used only TomatoTone and some fish/seaweed fertilizer in pots with ProMix last year (in alternating weeks) and the plants grew quite satisfactorally. The previous year I used only TomatoTone. Almost everything that people talk about adding into their plant feeding is already in the TomatoTone mix. (Tomatos and peppers being closely related, they eat the same stuff).

However, I gave a hab to my neighbor, who threw it in a pot with cheap topsoil from Home Depot. The plant did absolutely nothing for two months. He then bought some Miracle Grow generic plant food and threw it in the pot. In a month, he had 100+ pods.

I think a lot of the times when a plant looks like it is doing nothing it is busy growing roots under the soil. Some for stability but mostly to to look for nutrients to suck up. So then you think.. "come on do something!" and chuck fertilizer at it, and all of a sudden this extensive root system can access a lot of food, so it explodes into life.

:onfire:

Come to think of it, my plants could do with a dose right now!

Back