• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

jolokia problem?

Hey, havent posted in a while...

All of my plants are doing great - except the Jolokia. There is some kind of shit on the end of it, and I am not sure why. It is almost like blossom end rot that are found on tomatos. My plants get watered around once a week. The first one I had that grew to a decent size experienced the same problem, and I just picked it and threw it away and chalked it up to something got to it. Now the plant has several chiles on it - and when they start getting near ripe this happens (see picture). What can I do to fix this? Any suggestions; I do not even know what this could be... :(

jolokia.jpg

It does look like rot. How many other pods doing the same thing? What kind of Jolokia is it? Jolokia really just mean pepper but I assume you have a Bhut or Bih?

POT- it only happens as it gets close to ripening...

There is one that is starting to have some spots on it, and I am pretty sure I will end up with the same result. What will fix this?

I have used fish emulsion as fertilizer. They are in containers..

Would lyme cure this?

I'd probably try a copper or sulpher based fungicide.
Fish emulsion is usually quite high in Nitrogen, not likely the cause of your problem but still thought I'd point it out.

Sickmont said:
Perhaps it's some type of disease? You did say none of your other plants have this problem, right?

Correct. No other plants have this problem. I am actually harvesting ripe chiles every day off of 11 different plants. This one is a head scratcher.

I have a couple of plants that are doing the same thing...I just cut out the bad parts and use the rest of the pepper...my hungarian wax is the worst...I haven't been able to figure it out yet either

AlabamaJack said:
I have a couple of plants that are doing the same thing...I just cut out the bad parts and use the rest of the pepper...my hungarian wax is the worst...I haven't been able to figure it out yet either

The top part (as you can see) looks fine, so I will go this route too. But I do want to figure the problem. I am going to look up some fungicides suggested above...

millworkman said:
Does the flower stay on to long? Could that lead to some sort of rot?

Nope. The flower falls off shortly after it produces.

I called a local garden center and they have some kind of liquid copper fungicide stuff. So I am going to go up there tomorrow with the pepper and ask them what they think too.

ross said:
ask them what they think too.

please post their response ross....thanks in advance

Looks nasty, as if some part of the pepper gets left behind in the process of ripening and rots instead. I had a similiar problem with peppers that touched the ground and the part that actuially touched the ground - while it was moist - looked like that.
As AJ said, please keep us posted!!!

I took the pod over to a local garden center, and he said it was some kind of fungus or blossom end rot. He sold me this copper based fungicide (that POT recommended). He said to pick the fruits that were infected and spray this all over the plant. It is a once a week application. It also cost 19.99 per bottle for a solution you mix with water.. So needless to say, I spent 20 bucks on 1/4 oz of blue copper fungicide and I have approx 15.75 oz left. :) At least it doesn't go bad!

I hope this fixes the problem - I have a few more pods on the plant that are fairly large and could be near maturity but they do not have the fungus on them, so if this stuff works - the next pods I harvest will be fine.

Damn plant is too finicky, I have already picked about 10 devils tongues, 10 fataliis, and probably 25 Thai dragons. Oh well.

Oh yeah, the guy also handled the pepper (which I had cut in half), and I told him he should wash his hands before he ate anything. Lets just say I hope he washed them better than what I saw otherwise hes gonna regret holding that one. :)

well, so far, the fungus or whatever it is, is not reappearing. guess the solution worked. thanks for the help!

Back