Just finished some re-potting of plants

Here's what they used to look like in containers w/ no drain holes >>> http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19580-some-plants-that-really-took-off/

I'll upload the pics of the re-potted ones in a moment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Here they are after being individually re-potted & yes, thats snow on the ground outside :lol: :

dsc00406w.jpg

Here's the bigger ones where I will just end up just keeping the dominant plant in each container because the roots were too entangled. I have too many of this one variety anyway. The leaves are wilted because I hadn't watered them yet and because of the trauma they suffered from being re-potted. I'm currently trying to germinate some habanero & jalapeño seeds :onfire: so I don't need 10 of these Thai red pepper plants anyway.

dsc00405dm.jpg

Glad to see you re-potted some of them. If it were me, I'd clip the smaller ones in the pots where you have multiple plants. The other option is to just toss the extras.

From what I can find on the internet, the last frost date for Wash. DC is between May 1 to May 15 somewhere. That works out to at least 105 days until plant out. So looking at the days to harvest dates on the seeds, I'd definitely hold off on the Jala's for now. They grow fairly quickly with a DTH of 60-70 days. That means you're going to either have to pour the light to them indoors or have large leggy plants by the time they get put out 30ish days after you should have been harvesting chili's from them.

The regular orange habs have a 90 DTH time and tend to grow slower than the Jalapenos. You could start these fairly soon, but I'd think I'd hold off for another week or two just so you have a manageable plant that's still stout enough to produce heaps when it's finally planted out.

Letting your plants wilt before you water them is a good thing. Chili plants don't like to sit in water logged soil. Letting them wilt a little bit will produce a HOT pepper and avoid mildew/fungus from growing on your soil.

Glad to see you re-potted some of them. If it were me, I'd clip the smaller ones in the pots where you have multiple plants. The other option is to just toss the extras.

From what I can find on the internet, the last frost date for Wash. DC is between May 1 to May 15 somewhere. That works out to at least 105 days until plant out. So looking at the days to harvest dates on the seeds, I'd definitely hold off on the Jala's for now. They grow fairly quickly with a DTH of 60-70 days. That means you're going to either have to pour the light to them indoors or have large leggy plants by the time they get put out 30ish days after you should have been harvesting chili's from them.

The regular orange habs have a 90 DTH time and tend to grow slower than the Jalapenos. You could start these fairly soon, but I'd think I'd hold off for another week or two just so you have a manageable plant that's still stout enough to produce heaps when it's finally planted out.

Letting your plants wilt before you water them is a good thing. Chili plants don't like to sit in water logged soil. Letting them wilt a little bit will produce a HOT pepper and avoid mildew/fungus from growing on your soil.
Yeah, I'm thinking of just snipping the stragglers in the pots and leaving the dominant ones there. The roots were just too entangled and it was taking too long.
As to my other seeds, they don't seem to be germinating as I don't have a heat pad and they are just in the cupboard in a plastic bag w/ some wet paper towels. I might have to wait for the warmer weather for those to germinate.

Thanks for the info.

thank you for ceasing the waterboarding

um, i mean glad you potted up(and thanks for posting pictures)

you are your own tour guide but, IMO

it may be time for you to start planning where to plant "your extras"

it seems you have a longer winter than me, but if you have more seeds to plant and need the space

in lieu of giving them a death sentence you may try a little "guerilla" planting

and cast out the "unwanted" plants like in the public park etc. (but i would do it on the sly,
as the poh- poh may think you be planting "ganja" man.)

think of it as (non invasive) :rofl: neighborhood beautification

please understand the excess seeds can be saved if you like
but the growing ones deserve a chance at least(show a little love back)

Thing is that the roots were intertwined. I would plant them out in a park sometime in April/May but thats way too long off. I germinated too many. In retrospect, I should have just planted one germinated seed to a pot but this is my first year growing peppers and I didn't realize that the ideal situation is one plant per pot.

Those look good. Since you started so early, I think you'd do well to prune them back a few times. Thais respond well to topping and pinching and if you keep them compact they'll probably do just fine in those containers until you bring them out.

Those look good. Since you started so early, I think you'd do well to prune them back a few times. Thais respond well to topping and pinching and if you keep them compact they'll probably do just fine in those containers until you bring them out.
That sounds like something I'd be interested in :woohoo: after seeing some other peoples grow-logs. I like shorter plants w/ fuller growth/filling out. How many nodes up should I prune or do I just pinch of the top after so many nodes?

oh dude,
i was thinking of you needing room for the habañeros and other better hotties :dance:
i often forget that everyone else has a lot of room and can plant
hundreds of chiles :crazy:

i can only handle a few (because of space issues)the others get
planted at work or adopted out to friends/co- chiliheads
or maybe the guy that owns the "bacon mania" truck :woohoo:

i mean if you got no room left do not kill to plant more
transport & transplant for more room
(put them out for "adoption" to spread the love)

That sounds like something I'd be interested in :woohoo: after seeing some other peoples grow-logs. I like shorter plants w/ fuller growth/filling out. How many nodes up should I prune or do I just pinch of the top after so many nodes?

They look a little stretched out growing in the window sill, so you'll have to go up a bit to have enough nodes. I'd say go up 6 or 7 and top it there. In a few weeks you should see which nodes have healthy shoots coming out and you can make a decision on which 3 or 4 to keep. You might want leave one going natural and maybe play around with crushing the stem a bit on another. Other than keeping the shape nice a sturdy, regular pruning will slow the root growth down and you can avoid having to re-pot before you're ready to move them outside.

The plants are looking really good. I love Thai chilies and they're good for most peoples climates and conditions. I just want to check and make sure you pulled the saucer off the bottom of your plastic pots. It looks like they're sitting a little low in there. That saucer pulls off and you can rotate it slightly, set the pot back on and get better drainage.

They look a little stretched out growing in the window sill, so you'll have to go up a bit to have enough nodes. I'd say go up 6 or 7 and top it there. In a few weeks you should see which nodes have healthy shoots coming out and you can make a decision on which 3 or 4 to keep. You might want leave one going natural and maybe play around with crushing the stem a bit on another. Other than keeping the shape nice a sturdy, regular pruning will slow the root growth down and you can avoid having to re-pot before you're ready to move them outside.

The plants are looking really good. I love Thai chilies and they're good for most peoples climates and conditions. I just want to check and make sure you pulled the saucer off the bottom of your plastic pots. It looks like they're sitting a little low in there. That saucer pulls off and you can rotate it slightly, set the pot back on and get better drainage.
Thanks alot for that. Yeah, if you saw my other plant you'd see how stretched out it is. I want the plants to grow outwards instead of upwards. I'll see about topping a couple of the taller plants in the second pic when they are at 6-7 nodes up.

oh dude,
i was thinking of you needing room for the habañeros and other better hotties :dance:
i often forget that everyone else has a lot of room and can plant
hundreds of chiles :crazy:

i can only handle a few (because of space issues)the others get
planted at work or adopted out to friends/co- chiliheads
or maybe the guy that owns the "bacon mania" truck :woohoo:

i mean if you got no room left do not kill to plant more
transport & transplant for more room
(put them out for "adoption" to spread the love)
Yes. I'm in the same boat. I have limited space and I'm already using @ 8 pots plus I'm waiting for 2 more varieties to germinate. This is my first time growing peppers so I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I don't have unhealthy/unproductive, stretched out plants. I'm also not doing it for volume, just for enjoyment.

If you're worried about the roots when separating the two, don't. Slice the two right down the middle. They are pretty damn resistant to pruning and chopping. When I was overwintering some plants, I cut a full grown plant back to a nub and the root ball back to the size of a golf ball. ON the other hand, if you don't need them find someone else that wants them or toss them. You could plant them like others have suggested too.

Fungus gnats... just a nuisance mostly, but you should be able to keep them in check if you bottom water and keep the top of the soil fairly dry.

The only time I've ever had problem with pests is when I brought plants in to be overwintered. Never a problem when starting from seed. I won't overwinter again.

Here's what they look like now. I culled @ 5 & the ones that are left look super-healthy:

big pic

5432112386_a741bdcb83.jpg

close-up of same:

5432112422_5d7912b781.jpg

This one seems to be the most symmetrical/healthy of them all.

Back