• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Just ordered a pack of ghost pepper seeds

My greatest tip for starting would be to use the search feature.

Beyond that, get those seeds in some dirt as soon as possible if you want a chance of seeing some ripe peppers this season.

From what I've read, most people in N. America started their seedlings a month to two months ago. I don't grow plants from seeds beacuse I kill everything I touch. Unfortunately, Lowes and Wal-Mart don't carry anything over an orange habanero plant.

.....sigh.

paulky_2000 said:
From what I've read, most people in N. America started their seedlings a month to two months ago. I don't grow plants from seeds beacuse I kill everything I touch. Unfortunately, Lowes and Wal-Mart don't carry anything over an orange habanero plant.

.....sigh.

LOL that used to be me five years ago then i invested in a bubble boy kit.

first proper germination
then proper haredning off stage
then proper potting up
then proper nutes when you see buds
then proper disposal of pods :) eat it fresh off the plant whole

paulky_2000 said:
From what I've read, most people in N. America started their seedlings a month to two months ago.

Most Bhut varietals take 100-150 days to set fruit under optimal conditions, so unless you've got somewhere indoors to finish, you're probably going to get really frustrated this season with flower drop. Madhatter has some good basic pointers. My suggestion if you haven't grown superhots before- start with easy to grow plants and learn.

Thanks for all info. I just ordered them today, so I assume I will get them by saturday (I ordered them from some place in s carolina). If I do, I will plant the seeds sunday in small pots at first (I will get the proper soil) and hope for the best. That basically says I shall get fruits by sometime in august. I also ordered some seeds called marble peppers.

Hinky said:
Most Bhut varietals take 100-150 days to set fruit under optimal conditions, so unless you've got somewhere indoors to finish, you're probably going to get really frustrated this season with flower drop. Madhatter has some good basic pointers. My suggestion if you haven't grown superhots before- start with easy to grow plants and learn.

I agree with hinky. a little too late for a bhut unless you have a nice sunny window to extend the season. The Bhut is also a bit tempermental and likes optimal conditions and some poeple have a hard time getting fruit off of it. I would go for it but grow some easy to grow varieties such as annums( which are only 60-80 days.) and produce well. For example tabasco, goat weed, pequin and that way you have other plants to enjoy.

ipreferamediumroast said:
Thanks for all info. I just ordered them today, so I assume I will get them by saturday (I ordered them from some place in s carolina). If I do, I will plant the seeds sunday in small pots at first (I will get the proper soil) and hope for the best. That basically says I shall get fruits by sometime in august. I also ordered some seeds called marble peppers.

Well good luck to you. let us know how it turns out. Marble peppers are ornamental and are mostly just for show. Not sure if they are good as edibles

Getting peppers by August would mean everything went perfect for you. Figure about two weeks, if things go perfectly, for the seeds to germinate. That puts you in the middle of April. I'm not positive on this but I believe the average time to ripe pods is 160 days. You don't start counting those 160 days until after it's germinated. That will put you into September. Again, everything will have to be perfect. It can be done.

I would probably plant a couple seeds just to see if I could do it but I would spend most of my time and effort growing something I know I have time for. Best of luck to you.

patrick said:
Getting peppers by August would mean everything went perfect for you. Figure about two weeks, if things go perfectly, for the seeds to germinate. That puts you in the middle of April. I'm not positive on this but I believe the average time to ripe pods is 160 days. You don't start counting those 160 days until after it's germinated. That will put you into September. Again, everything will have to be perfect. It can be done.

I would probably plant a couple seeds just to see if I could do it but I would spend most of my time and effort growing something I know I have time for. Best of luck to you.

+1

Just make sure to save some of your Ghost Pepper Seeds for next year. And start in January next year :)

I think you'll do just fine, I received some ordered seeds last Friday(not Ghost), bag germinationed them, my Bulgarian carrots sprouted first, I soil planted them yesterday, today they broke soil and green is peeping through.

I have Fatalli, Gold Habs and Bishop cap. As I look into the baggies, some Bishop's have small sprouts, Fatalli have sprouts and nothing yet on the habs(but I expect perhaps a 2 week germination). All I care about is the Fatalli.
(I am assuming you are container growing your Ghosts, I don't have an option.)

Even if you just get small weak fruit this year, you can always overwinter and you never know what will happen next year - just to give you an idea, I am currently crunching on ceyennes, super chile and suryanki. Last years jalapeno has flowers,I am bud pinching on newly planted Fresno, goatsweed have added 3 inches of new folage and my second year hab has small buds that I am pinching. Tepin has 3 inches of new growth with no signs of buds - I hope it dies so I can use the container and window spot, last year it gave me several small pods and really late(started Feb09, had my first ripe fruit Dec/Jan) - it better be a big producer this year or snip, snip!

Moral of this story is all the kids have a special tale to tell and you have to listen to their needs thoughout this year and be patient with them as every plant performs differently through its development cylce.

Get'um goin'

Back