• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Just ordered ladybugs

I am tired of dealing with aphids. They somehow seem to survive which is not good for my plants. So today I ordered 1500 ladybugs.

Hopefully, you all are right about the job they do!

Mike

I had to wash most of my leaves in the garden this morning and they're getting to be more and more leaves everyday. I'm gonna check a local place to see if they carry them.
There are 2 that hang around the container plants but I think they're different species and there's no larva (yet). I may be ordering some online if I can't get any here. Let me know how you do.

I had pry-matis for a long time I used to call him chopper ! He did his job lived there for about 1 mth and moved on (lost him but aphid was gone!)

Also NEEM OIL... imo is the BEST method to get rid of aphid & spidermite !

I f you are going to grow a lot of sensitive plants,you should probably police them everyday.Once they get out of hand it's pretty hard to reverse the effect.If your trying to go organic,Well there you go.Organics cost more for a reason.Its a very delicate ballence.

I check my some of my plants 2-18 times a day! If I find a aphid, I try to kill it on the spot. But the critters move around and trying to check 1,000 plants a day is not something I have time for. Safer Soap worked for a while, as did a pyrethrin spray. They can adapt to treatments - except being eaten.

Darn, I wish I could forget about organic growing - I have DDT in the closet!

Mike

Wordwiz, are you getting the real (red with white spots) lady bugs, or are you getting the Asian Lady beetles (brown with black spots)? They introduced the Asian ones in an attempt to control soybean aphids. I ought to sell them as they love to live under the siding of my house, make that in my house as well. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures.

All of this talk about aphids has me a bit scared. I live in the middle of farm country and will be surrounded by at least 320 acres of soybeans this summer. Are the soybean aphids going to eat my peppers?

I don't think they can legally sell the Asian ladybugs in North America.
Good luch with the aphids WW, it usually takes a few weeks for the ladybugs to start doing serious aphid damage. Last year I went through 10000+ ladybugs and I could have used a lot more:(

Well drat. I just found some aphids on my baby seedlings which only have a pair or two of true leaves. It's a lot easier to do serious damage to them. I'm going to town tomorrow to see if I can get some.

What's a good price if I don't have to deal with shipping?

I was spraying down my med size plants (upside down) and I saw some ladybug eggs on one leaf. I sprayed it before I suspected what it was but I rinsed it off right away. Hope to have some larvae soon. :)

I paid about $25 total - $7.50 for the ladybugs. They are shipped 2nd day air. Got them from Mountain Home Biological in WA.

Mike

Back