• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Just started seeds with heat mat and humidity dome.....

Yes I know, its late to be starting, but I just got back from vacation and I wanted to wait until I got back to start them.

So I used seed starter mix in the six pack trays. Made a hole about 1/4" deep in each and put a seed in there. I put water in the tray that holds the six pack trays and let it wick up into the seed starter mix until they were all visually moist. I have the dome on, I noticed the dome has a wheel on the top that allows for venting. Right now I have the wheel closed so there is no venting. The inside of the dome is covered with little droplets of condensation, so its definitely a humid environment.

Right now I have the setup in my living room near a window so it gets indirect light. Is this ok? I was thinking of moving them into my grow tent and put them under my Sunleaves Pioneer VIII on half power. Should I do this? Any other helpful hints?

Bob

You shouldn't have to worry about light at all until they have sprouted since you already have a warming source.  It won't hurt anything though.  Sounds good otherwise, it might be a good idea to measure the temperature.  I keep seeds at 85º

Keeping them moist not wet is worth adding also make sure they don't totally dry out if you keep them under stronger light. A little b vitamin wouldn't hurt but not necessary.

Good luck and stop checking on them every 15 minutes as they grow faster that way!

Ok, I should have mentioned that I have some other vegetables in there too, and they are actually starting to sprout. So I'm thinking I should move it under my grow light now? I'm thinking running it at half power until I get a lot of germination? Also, should I keep the vents on the top of the dome closed? Its quite humid in there now, dome is completely covered with moisture/condensation.

It might help to dump the condensation elsewhere if there's a possibility of it running back into your seeds to help prevent rot.  If your peppers haven't germinated it's probably a good idea to keep the vents closed though.  What kind of light are you using?  Half power can mean a lot of things depending on the bulbs in it.

It might help to dump the condensation elsewhere if there's a possibility of it running back into your seeds to help prevent rot. If your peppers haven't germinated it's probably a good idea to keep the vents closed though. What kind of light are you using? Half power can mean a lot of things depending on the bulbs in it.

I have a Sunleaves Pioneer VIII high output T5 with grow bulbs in it. Half power would be 4 bulbs, full power is 8. I have it set up in Secret Jardin DR120 48"x48"x80" grow tent.

Sounds like a plan, You could even germinate on top of the light if you needed more seedling space ;)  I run a 4 bulb 2ft T5 in a grow tent 12 inches above my plants and can keep them around 75º-85º They're uncovered, even ones with just cotyledons.  Big thing is temperatures.

Sounds like a plan, You could even germinate on top of the light if you needed more seedling space ;) I run a 4 bulb 2ft T5 in a grow tent 12 inches above my plants and can keep them around 75º-85º They're uncovered, even ones with just cotyledons. Big thing is temperatures.

Aha yes good idea! I have two humidity dome setups, one for my girlfriends vegetables, which have already started germinating, and one for all my hot peppers, which I know can take up to 30 days to germinate. So perhaps I will put the hot pepper dome on top of the light if they take longer to germinate. Sounds like the big thing I need to monitor is temperature.

Heat mats can cook your seeds before they sprout, so if you don't have a thermostat on it already, I'd recommend you get one. 

Heat mats can cook your seeds before they sprout, so if you don't have a thermostat on it already, I'd recommend you get one.

Can you recommend a specific product?

BurninBob said:
I use a meat thermometer and just stick it into the soil, seems to read pretty accurate and dirt cheap too.

From reading your original post I would say it sounds like you are absolutely on the right track.  Just be sure that if you are growing any hot varieties to keep that soil temp at 80-85 and you should be set.  If it was me, i would leave the vent on top open.
As far as lights, you'll want light on them as soon as they pop up, but I don't think presence or lack of light during germination will make any appreciable difference.

BurninBob said:
Just google "heat mat thermostat for plants" and several will come up.

casweet8, a thermostat will regulate the temperature for you - you set it to what you want then it turns the heat mat on and off automatically. You can only check the temperature with a thermometer, but you have to manually turn on/off the mat yourself if you don't have a thermostat. 

Good luck and stop checking on them every 15 minutes as they grow faster that way!

Haha, so true! When can I expect to start seeing some germination? I have a second humidity dome that I used for my girlfriend's vegetable seeds, and a lot of hers have all ready sprouted (Kale, cucumbers, zucchini, tomato). I've moved these into my grow tent. I know hot peppers take longer, but hoping to see some action after 7 days or so?

Depending on what you have in there, it could be a while. Took 3 weeks for a couple Bhut Jolokia and Moruga Scorpion seeds of mine to put out a tap root, then add a few more days under the soil before seeing them rise again from their burial. So not always will you see something quick.

ok im gonna have to be patient!

i have some thai dragon peppers from last year that i dried using a food dehydrator. can i use seeds from these? or did the temperature from the food dehydrator ruin the seeds for growing?

BurninBob said:
ok im gonna have to be patient!

i have some thai dragon peppers from last year that i dried using a food dehydrator. can i use seeds from these? or did the temperature from the food dehydrator ruin the seeds for growing?
It depends on how hot the dehydrator got, anything more than around 100-110 degrees has a potential of killing the seeds...Consider temperatures that are found in nature in the habitat of a wild pepper.  I say though, try it anyways!

"The man who expects nothing is never disappointed" - Buddha

Ok, so I've got some sprouting happening, so I moved the a few six packs into the grow tent.  The six packs only have 1 or 2 sprouts, so I have some leftover Aerogarden biodomes that I placed over the ones that haven't germinated yet.  Its not air tight, but I'm hoping it will be enough for the others to sprout. 

So how close should I have my light to the sprouts?  I already have some other vegetables in the grow tent (cucumbers, kale, cone flower, tomato) that have already sprouted.  Its definitely hot in there, my thermometer recorded a high of 100 degrees today.  So I put a clip on fan on so its exhausting air out of the tent from one of the duct openings in the top.  Right now I have the light a few inches above the tops of the sprouts.  I was thinking maybe I should cut the light output in half (i.e., only turn on 4 of the 8 T5 bulbs)?  Any advice greatly appreciated. 

a T5 puts off a lot more heat than you might think.  My sprouts and teenage plants both do fine with my 4 bulb 2 foot light at about 12"  If yours is a 4 foot fixture 12" would probably work as well on half power I would think.  I did have them at about 6" earlier in February and coupled with dry winter air I was losing seedlings left and right.  85º seems to be the magic number for me personally.  100º seems a bit hot for young plants.

ikeepfish said:
a T5 puts off a lot more heat than you might think.  My sprouts and teenage plants both do fine with my 4 bulb 2 foot light at about 12"  If yours is a 4 foot fixture 12" would probably work as well on half power I would think.  I did have them at about 6" earlier in February and coupled with dry winter air I was losing seedlings left and right.  85º seems to be the magic number for me personally.  100º seems a bit hot for young plants.

I lowered the light back down to about 6" and have a clip on fan blowing on low across the area between the light and the seedlings, seems to be working pretty good, my temperature is a consistent 88 degrees.

Ok, here are some pics of the setup in the grow tent

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2279]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2278]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2280]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2281]

Back