• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Justaguy's 2015 Garden Season

Coming from 2014
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45973-justaguys-2014-garden-season

So here we go with 2015. I never went for that new job because this job has changed in good ways. Last August Amy was in an accident when a young kid pulled out in front of her truck. The insurance company totaled her truck and the kids car was totaled on impact. He came out of it with a fine and she had a bad whiplash that blew the disc between C5 and C6. Monday she goes under the knife to have them fused. Had the disc gone out her stubborn self would deal with pain, but it is pressing right on her spinal cord so surgery is needed.

Now on to the start of the 2015 season.
On January 5th I put seeds in the germination tray
100_2361_zpsa3ed6c9e.jpg

And this morning we woke up at 4. You third shifters know how weekends can be. She helped get the toddlers :lol: into their new homes
100_2362_zps99a6a0f7.jpg

I will try to get my list of seed down on here later today.
That top pic was taken after we moved them. I now have the camera sitting next to it all so I remember to snap shots. :woohoo:

Sorry to read about the wifes injury; I wish her a speedy and complete recovery!

Good luck this season!

Ok so here is the list of what I am growing this year.
Non peppers:
Gentlemans' corn
Carrots
Parsnips
Broccoli
Sugar Snap Peas

Peppers:
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Bombay Morich
Brown Egg
Brown Morouga
Bubblegum 7Pot
Caribbean Red Habanero
Cheiro Roxa
Chocolate Bell
Chocolate Scorpion
Cross #3 fail but the result is still edible. Only 100+ more seed to try see if I got it. This may take a few years.
Cumari Do Para
Fatalii
Golden Greek Pepperoncini
Indian Carbon Bhut
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Jimmy Nardello
Morouga
Poblano
Serrano

Also planning on another Giant Sunflower. Last years ended up with 32 heads.

OMG it is Feb 1st and I realize I need to drop some more seeds for what didn't pop in the germination tray :rofl: usually I would be just dropping the first seeds. I love being ahead of schedule. As the people that have followed my past GLOGS know I germinate on top of the heater. Last week I came to the realization that the top shelf in the grow box sits at 85° so now hopefully no more flux in temp. Next year will be the true test.

Some more pics.
100_2363_zpsalvjheqq.jpg

100_2364_zpsqkyszzrj.jpg

And now today
100_2365_zpspmddrmxl.jpg

100_2366_zpsvtdrn0mr.jpg

The angle on that second shot from today makes it hard to see the little guys.

Sorry to hear about Amy's accident, Brian.  I hope the
surgery turns out well.  Will say a prayer.

Nice starts @ 15 days, looking healthy and ready to rock!

I believe that in 2012 you gave seeds (or a plant) for a Fatali/Savina to Spankycolts.  
I got a plant from him then and grew it out to some great red pods.  Still have a little
powder from that one.  The subsequent two generations have produced hot yellow
pods - in 2013, they were very large, a little smaller last season, but definitely show
the Fatali parentage.  They are a staple in my grow list; I'm growing it out again this
season.  Just thought you might like to know, if in fact it came from you.

I pray your wife has a speedy recovery when she has her surgery...Your plants are looking good.  What seed starting
mix do you use?  

PaulG said:
Sorry to hear about Amy's accident, Brian.  I hope the
surgery turns out well.  Will say a prayer.

Nice starts @ 15 days, looking healthy and ready to rock!

I believe that in 2012 you gave seeds (or a plant) for a Fatali/Savina to Spankycolts.  
I got a plant from him then and grew it out to some great red pods.  Still have a little
powder from that one.  The subsequent two generations have produced hot yellow
pods - in 2013, they were very large, a little smaller last season, but definitely show
the Fatali parentage.  They are a staple in my grow list; I'm growing it out again this
season.  Just thought you might like to know, if in fact it came from you.
Yeah they came from me and are a great flavor. They went two way. One was orange and had the Red Savina flavor with end notes of fatalii and then there is the one you have. I like it better. Love the Fatalii flavor and the red savina end note is a nice touch.

Devv said:
You're off to a great start Brian!

How's the wife doing? I hope all is well.

roper2008 said:
I pray your wife has a speedy recovery when she has her surgery...Your plants are looking good.  What seed starting
mix do you use?
An update on Amy. It has been a month since her surgery and she is doing great. Just so people don't wonder when the day comes that I announce the wedding....we are engaged. We would be married now but we both have teenage boys in different districts and don't want to move them. Neither of us want to be married and not live together so we are waiting.

I have to get some more pics on here. A dry spell on my part hurt some serranos, but there are more seeds. I couldn't get any Fataliis to pop so more are down. I have only a few seeds left and am at risk of losing the genetics from Pepper-Guru so I need to get at least one for isolation. Here is what I have.
100_2367_zpszna4znr1.jpg

100_2368_zpsmjceqozr.jpg

100_2369_zpsxwpgds9l.jpg

Looking good, Brian; those are really going to take off
when you transplant them later    :fireball:

Glad to hear Amy is okay.  And congratulations on
your engagement   :party:

Well 40+ ear of white corn and a dozen or so ears of Gentleman's corn in the freezer. 3 pounds of Parsnips and 20+ pounds of carrots harvested, processed and froze. 10+ pounds of russets in the potato box that Jr. and I built and put in the basement. There is also a sweet potato the size of a rabbit. Pulled all the white corn out and the gentleman's corn stalks still stand waiting for halloween :rofl:

The front bed had the parsnips and carrots and 2 Cumari du Para which are all that is left out there.

The back 200 had the russets, still has the Gentleman's corn, tomatoes, and a 2nd batch of snap peas going. Green beans came and filled our coffers and got pulled, as did the broccoli(ok so the broccoli still stands in seed).

The back 300 had the white corn and now has one sweet potato plant going and a little over a dozen pepper plants. The stock piles are full and just needed topped off.

Now that I work mon-thur day shift with a 3 day weekend almost every week I have more time to get back to my love of gardening, so next year I will be filling the gardens with peppers again to restock and supply some local restaurants with their pepper fix for house sauces. The Nards with be back as will the fataliis, yellow 7's, Carribean red habs, and Morougas. As any pepper addict knows there will be more added. Also plan on isolating a good bit to beef up the seed bank and share the love.

I have found a better way for germinating after 2 years of bad starts on the heater, so my next task for prep is to make a dead shelf for the top of my grow box and put the top lights on the bottom of it. At a steady 85° it worked great for a last last minute hail mary this year to use the top shelf with lights out. With the dead shelf I will then still have 3 lighted shelves with a 216 start capacity. I would like to promise more pictures but I hate to promise and not come through. Sooooo I will promise to try. :D

The Cumari du paras are ripening nicely and so are some others. Will try to remember to grab the camera this weekend coming up. The phone is much more convenient, but not for getting them on here. ugh

Well I am soon to pick out seeds for 2016 and I have once again realized my Glog was a failure. Gotta love life getting in the way. Anyone want a kid? Got one to spare. J/K

See you all in the new year with another Glog attempt.

Justaguy said:
Well I am soon to pick out seeds for 2016 and I have once again realized my Glog was a failure. Gotta love life getting in the way. Anyone want a kid? Got one to spare. J/K

See you all in the new year with another Glog attempt.
Did you start germinating for this years grow yet?

Looking good! Sorry to hear about your wife's neck. I had back surgery 10 years ago. They fused L-5-S1, and chiseled bones from my hip. 4 titanium bolts. I had the screws removed a year after, due to even more pain. I still have severe back pain and shooting pain to my left leg. I was rear ended in a car accident.
I hope your wife recovers to have a less painful life.

I hope you get a great harvest.

Back