• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Kaity's 2020 Growing Effort :)

I have moved the Ghost Pepper outdoors permanently as it is really enjoying the sunshine.  The Jalapeno is still doing well enough after a roughish wintering.  Not sure what the Piquin hybrid will do...but I feel it will make it.

So what else to germ...I set up my germination mat and will have several moisture bags in it.

5x Pablano (VERY mellow heat)
5x Jalapeno
5x Piquin
3x Carolina Reaper

Not sure what all will sprout.  The Jalapeno and Pablano peppers are a staple in a lot of my cooking.  The Piquin and Ghost will make great chili powders, so looking forward to them growing out.  The Carolina Reaper is just something I am going to grow to say I did it really.  There were little flakes in the seed bag and I put a few pieces on my tongue and...HOT.  I guess I could add a little to a hot blend chili powder for flavor.

Just a quick update picture heavy.  Hope this finds everyone well!  The Jalapeno is the only pepper plant I have in the ground.  For some the gophers, scourge of the earth, leave it alone.

20200704-143613818-i-OS.jpg

20200704-141944010-i-OS.jpg

This is my first crop of winter peppers, super small...we are drying them to blend into a custom chili powder.

20200704-143426923-i-OS.jpg

20200704-143431693-i-OS.jpg

The Golden Cayenne is turning golden, cannot wait to taste this.  The plant is doing well, maybe time to move it to a larger pot.

20200704-143456780-i-OS.jpg

20200704-143412480-i-OS.jpg

20200704-143418084-i-OS.jpg

The two Habenaro are doing well.  One has a single BIG pepper on it and the other has a bunch of smaller ones.  A few are starting to lighten and I believe they are getting their color!

20200704-143453044-i-OS.jpg

I have a Pablano that I sprouted from seed in mid April.  Just transplanted it to a larger pot and it will hopefully flourish.

20200704-143640978-i-OS.jpg

20200704-143657070-i-OS.jpg

This is an unknown variety from seeds I harvested from a sample pepper that a friend gave me.  He believes it is some sort of Jalapeno/Pequin blend.  I have no idea, but it tasted great and I cannot wait to see what this plant produces at harvest.

This is the only serious attempt at hydro-peppers I am currently working on.  Flood bucket style, not sure if it is working optimally...but the plant is growing and it is producing.

Anyway, the gophers won the ground war so I took everything into the air...seems to be working.  The table has several variety of tomatoes, some herbs (mint, rosemary and a cilantro) and a few blueberry plants.

The plants and pods are looking good. Containers are the way to go, I have 150+ now and will probably NEVER go back to growing peppers or veggies in the ground. For decent tomatoes, the bigger container the better. I use a minimum size of 10 gal. for tomatoes with the most common I use for them being 18 gal.
Anyway, keep up the good fight, you are doing well.

skullbiker said:
The plants and pods are looking good. Containers are the way to go, I have 150+ now and will probably NEVER go back to growing peppers or veggies in the ground. For decent tomatoes, the bigger container the better. I use a minimum size of 10 gal. for tomatoes with the most common I use for them being 18 gal.
Anyway, keep up the good fight, you are doing well.

How many tomato plants do you put in 10 g (or 18 g) containers, skullbiker?

Need to transplant the tomatoes to larger pots.  They are in 2gal now.  The table is rated for 800 pounds...can easily support the extra weight!  Thank you for sharing your info, @skullbiker!

Alright! 

First of many!

The last two days worth of harvest.  Jalapeno and Habanero. 

Transplanted the Pablano, Cayenne and Serrano plants in to three gallon pots.

20200718-220714809-i-OS.jpg

Back