• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Kale Question

Hey everyone, so my new roommate just handed me a pot with Kale in it and said grow me this so away I go. My question is would this be just one plant or a heap of separate seedlings that need separating or will they be ok to put into the garden as is? I've never even seen the stuff let alone grown it haha.

27894092OeG.jpg

One seedling produces several stems/branches. If you want a good supply you should grow a dozen or more plants.

Very healthy stuff, by the way!

DSCN0687.JPG

You are in for a treat, Kale is delicious. I've always grown it from seed, not sure how sensitive it is to having it's roots fondled. You could try dividing, but give it shade so it can recover. I grow pest traps like Nasturtiums nearby because bugs love Kale. Harvest the leaves from the bottom and your plant can live for many months. I've had some collard greens (another brassica) going for nine months now. I love Kale and Collards for continuous food production. If you don't end up enjoying the frilly type (which it looks like you have) there are a wide range of awesome kales out there. I like Lacianto and Red Russian.

To anyone interested in funky Kales, Adaptive Seeds has their finger on the pulse!

Cheers for the responses must be a North American thing because she is Canadian, and I've never known someone to eat it. At the moment I'll grow this plant out for a taste test (and my veggie patch has started to get shaded in areas so space is an issue), then maybe come September the shade should be gone. I might have to investigate into pest traps as if this stuff is anything like my spinach I'll have real issues. I think my spinach have more holes than leaves now :( .

Back