• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karoo 2017/2018 glog

New season, new things.
My biggest challenges growing peppers in our climate are heat , drought and birds eating peppers and plants.
Biggest advantages are heat and a longer season and good soil and homemade compost.
So I have devised a plan , an all in one raised beds , drip irrigation, shade net and birdproof pepper patch.

Extensive planning have led to this.
8f3b89324ffb90115cd175fb8b02837f.jpg

db668f9e878e368d1be3dfca2e90f6c8.jpg

07d98823486201bfd2dab28a4e83e9b5.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

The best time of the season , fully grown plants , pods everywhere , hot days to dry peppers.

My mystery Baccatums , I have searched the Net for answers , and I have narrowed it down to Sugar rush peach short/round or Sugar rush cream.
They are excellent growers and producers and taste like Sugar rush peach.

IMG_20180220_081551.jpg

Just a nice pic of my Malawi piquante x Aji lemon f1 cross.

IMG_20180215_140742_1.jpg

Drying in the sun.
Guajillo , Sugar rush peach, Aji Colorado , Bubba and Choc Habs in the small basket.

IMG_20180205_140512.jpg

This mornings harvest with some Eggplant.

IMG_20180219_074647_1.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with dried brinjal/eggplant.

PeriPeri said:
That is mighty fine Karoo! Those peach coloured pods are the bizz :dance:
Thank you,
those peach peppers tastes  exactly like my sugar rush peach , same colour , but more of a bell shape .
The shape of a peppadew or Aji Mango , but huge.
These guys are really prolific and very easy to deseed for stuffing. just cut a circle 1cm around the stem and remove the whole seed cluster. Just shout and I'll send you some , but it looks like you have your basket full!

Thank you,
Eggplant is just like a sponge and absorbs all surrounding fluids and flavours.
Best dish for me so far, lasagna with eggplant instead of pasta.
It goes well with all Mediterranean flavours, tomato ,meat sauces, garlic and cheese.

No problem on the seeds.
Let's test the intercontinental postal service.
PM me address.

karoo said:
Thank you,
those peach peppers tastes  exactly like my sugar rush peach , same colour , but more of a bell shape .
The shape of a peppadew or Aji Mango , but huge.
These guys are really prolific and very easy to deseed for stuffing. just cut a circle 1cm around the stem and remove the whole seed cluster. Just shout and I'll send you some , but it looks like you have your basket full!

Why thank you Karoo, that is a very generous offer! You should try and grow them out... I think those would be very attractive to most growers ;)

Hi all , hope you are having a great pepper day! On my list today , trim back the 8 plants in the Baccatum enclosure . 3x4 m area with plants in big pots partially buried in the ground to keep pot temps down . with 40% shadenet  to keep out birds and heat.

Starting to get some colour , the Dedo de moca , and Aji valle de canca , and Bubba.

IMG_20180227_064644_1.jpg

IMG_20180227_064658.jpg

IMG_20180227_064708.jpg

IMG_20180227_064731.jpg

From my raised beds , nice big Orange Jalapenos
IMG_20180227_070616_1.jpg

My big sweet Peach Baccattum. very big , with my rather large wedding band inside , excellent for stuffing.
IMG_20180223_193530.jpg

Aji chombo , a really tasty and very hot pepper. 

IMG_20180227_070659.jpg

It's really great to see another fellow grower in a hot climate doing so well.

Congrats on a great year! ;)

Chilidude said:
Nice c.baccatum picture you have there.
:party: Thank you , baccatums are the flavour of the season. I really like them all.

Devv said:
It's really great to see another fellow grower in a hot climate doing so well.

Congrats on a great year! ;)
:party: Thank you, the shadenet , deep raised beds and partially buried containers have made a huge difference this season compared to last. Big buried containers keep moisture in , but keeps roots cool underground.

PeriPeri said:
Looking awesome Karoo and some great varieties. Looking forward to the taste test reviews ;)

Thank you, will do more complete taste tests later , but at the moment everything tastes fantastic .
Aji chombo , by far the best tasting Chinense I've had . Hot enough for my taste , sweeter and more flavour than any Hab or Scorpion I've had.

i really like your sugar rush variation :)

i am growing every color and phenotype of Sugar rush, and Aji Fantasy peppers i could get my hands on this year  :dance:
I hope you don't mind a little "photo-bomb"
here are some of the variations that i could find pics for 

Sugar Rush Cream round:
T56HfGW.jpg

Sugar Rush Cream long:
IsPK62z.jpg

Sugar Rush Peach long:
QQBdln2.jpg

Sugar Rush Peach bell/round:
gCnH9v2.jpg

Sugar Rush red
3tJa6zo.jpg

Sugar Rush Cream round/bell;
g2ArqWA.jpg

s5bNSdl.jpg
PXpubb2.jpg

next to an US 5 cent piece diameter of 5 cent piece is 21.21 mm

TuB8wjR.jpg
Absolutely delicious peppers  :drooling:

and here is a BIH Jolokia x Sugar Rush peach:
H9zWIi7.jpg

from Justin @ Whitehotpeppers.com  (I think he still has seed for this fantastic cross)

I tried (unsuccessfully :( ) to cross Sugar Rush round with Dulce Sol also:
LJhO1Kp.jpg

but none of the pods had any seeds :mope:

anyway...
there hasn't been a Sugar rush that i didnt like yet :D

fantastic pepper even with all it's variations.  :dance:

:cheers:
G.I.P.

:P Thank you all for looking and liking and sharing .
GIP those pics are "the bomb".  Just when I think I've got it bad , someone crazier shows up.
This season , Baccatums are the craze , still waiting for my aji Fantasy white and Aji mango to pod up .

Thanx for sharing GIP.

Hi everybody,
at last we are relieved of the intense heat of mid-summer and can look forward to milder temps till first frost in May.
Most of the plants are producing well , but have lost a few leaves in the intense heat .

Baccatum Family pic.

From left to right
Aji Cito , Sugar rush peach , Sugar rush peach round , Aji Mango , Malawi piquante , Bubba

IMG_20180305_073510.jpg

Aji Valle de canca and sliced and drying in the sun.

IMG_20180301_110946.jpg

IMG_20180228_155828.jpg

Aji Dedo de moca , Taking their time changing colour.

IMG_20180305_073008.jpg

Pomegrantes for sauce , they should be ripe in about a month

IMG_20180305_072700.jpg

Glad to hear the hottest weather is behind you Jacques, and not just because it means it'll be warming up here. Thanks for the Input on the sugar rush varieties. They haven't crossed my path yet, but now I'll seek them out for growing another year.

If you make any hot sauce with your pomegranates, I hope you'll share pics of the process and a taste test. I already like pomegranate molasses on shashlik... I'll bet it's even better with a little more heat!
Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Glad to hear the hottest weather is behind you Jacques, and not just because it means it'll be warming up here. Thanks for the Input on the sugar rush varieties. They haven't crossed my path yet, but now I'll seek them out for growing another year.

If you make any hot sauce with your pomegranates, I hope you'll share pics of the process and a taste test. I already like pomegranate molasses on shashlik... I'll bet it's even better with a little more heat!
Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Thank you,
Pomegranates are due from this weekend till end of March and I can't wait myself.
I will have to make a test batch first to see how it goes. The Aji's are really great , late to ripen , but sweetest and biggest are the Dedo De Mocha. Really tasty and beautiful.

Back