• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Kato's Down South hot Sauce

A great sauce. The Va,.Beach Chili-Heads thought it was a little too hot for most of them. btalmadge thought it was a little hot. I just tried a spoonful to savor the taste while quoting the chili-heads.
" Good Bite, Nice aftertaste"
" Too hot for me!!"
" Really Good, And Really HOT"
I love the bottle. It's a flask. I want to cry when reading it. A nice tribute, and the labeling is very nice and subtle.

I almost didn't get the bottle back from btalmadge's wife Bonnie! And it's half gone. She loves it and was putting it on everything. It goes well with all foods.

As for myself:
I really like the Scotch Bonnet flavor.
It left my lips 'tingly' and the heat is REALLY NICE. Not overpowering at all. The heat stays there for a while and SO DOES the FLAVOR. Fantastic flavor.

(I had to get Tina's Hurricane Mash out for comparison. Her's is hotter. I thought they were about the same, but they're not. It's two very distinctly different sauces.)
If you like either of these great sauces, you'll like the other.

Too hot?!?

I thought it was well balanced. I guess it's a matter of preference.....and tolerance :fireball:

Down South is a perfect pepper sauce if all you want to taste is pepper. Agreed that Hurricane Mash is hotter. Hurricane is also an ideal sauce for people who want to taste peppers...and nothing else.

I will order both again.

TOO HOT?/?/. That's what I thought. I can drink that stuff, it's so flavorfull. Goes well with lots of foods.
I don't get to try some of these properly because the wife cooks everything, and she never spices anything up. Real bummer.

Well we tweaked the recipe a bit it now takes 54lbs of fresh Scotch Bonnets( no mash here) to make a batch of this sauce now. I can't taste the difference myself but had a few folks say they can taste the increase in heat. iWe increased the peppers by 18% as compared to before

We plan on making another sauce this winter it already has a name ( Hemi Hot Sauce) and will feature habanero's and garlic we have already made test batches and liked the result. So Kato's will be adding another sauce to go with our 6 others.

Mick
Kato's

I've posted this before but I agree this is a fantastic sauce. It blows my mind that it only has 3 ingredients: Scotch bonnets, carrots and vinegar.

Great scotch bonnet flavor and an amazing sauce.

Thanks Chuk!

We also love the pepper flavor but the Scotch Bonnets I have to use now because where we got them before was not big enough to have a consistent supply so we had to find another supplier beleive it or not they come from Mexico. That is the problem when you use fresh specific peppers in your sauce.

We may start using just fresh habanero's in our new sauces no specific kind or color We just prefer fresh peppers over mash that is all.

Mick
Kato's

I love the scoth bonnet taste in this sauce. I can't wait to try the new and improved version. All kato's stuff is great. The Habanero Hemi Hot sauce sounds like a winner too.

Back