• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

color Keeping yellow hot sauce yellow

Hi,
We've been making hot sauce for about 10 years, and make one kind using hot yellow peppers. The problem we have with this type is that it changes color (towards brown) after a while, whereas the red ones don't. We lacto-ferment, and then add vinegar in the blending process for shelf life. Any ideas on how to maintain the bright yellow color? Add lemon juice, which would obviously alter the taste? Add Ascorbic acid? How much and in what form? Anything else that might help?

Sorry for the repeat, but didn't get any responses in the other thread

This thread has some suggestions.

Other online comments seem to repeat these suggestions.

I have a pear-garlic sauce that turns a very unappealing gray after about 6 months. I have pretty much dropped it from production.

Good luck...let us know what you use and results.
SL

Thanks salsalady, I had seen this most and had come to the conclusion that ascorbic acid seems to be the best product to use. I've seen varying amounts from a teaspoon of crytalline powder per gallon to 10%. That's a huge range. Any ideas on how much is the correct amount, or is it time to experiment?

Back