• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Kestrel Potatoes

I'm growing some Kestrel Potatoes this year (they're second earlies) and I've only just managed to get them into soil today. I'm just wondering if I've left it too late? What's the latest that potatoes can be harvested?

Also, thought I'd add this as well, I've got them planted in a raised bed thats about 10 inches deep but each plant is about 24 inches apart. Will the plants be alright in that depth of soil and will they make up for the shallowness by spreading out?

You`ll be fine until the frosts arrive. You can harvest potatoes until the ground is frozen. 10" isn`t really deep enough, but I assume you`ll be piling dirt on the stems as they grow. Let the plants get to about 8-10", then re-cover all but the top leaves with more dirt. Repeat 4 or 5 times, then let them grow unimpeded. By that time they will have about 3+ feet of dirt piled around each stem. 

Kestrels? What about Jersey Royals??? Jerseys are my favourite and they don`t exist in the USA, so I`m deprived and unhappy about it !!!

Thats good news about harvesting, hopefully I should have time to get a decent crop. I wasn't going to, but now I will definitely be piling up dirt around them, but will probably only be able to get up to about 2 ft before the soil starts spilling out of the bed.

I chose Kestrels because I'm looking for a good frying potato so I can make my spectacular fried breakfast potatoes with homegrown chillies and aubergines in there to.

Might try Jerseys next year

Thanks for the info : )

Back