food Kimchi

bpiela said:
Did SL ever give a final report on how the Mexican Kimchee turned out? 

OOPS!  Sorry, I did not report back.

It fermented up nicely, good texture on the veggies, the pineapple worked, I'm just not sure the chipotle flavor worked.  It was OK, just not a homerun hit.  I'd probably try it again with about half the amount of chipotle powder and kick up the heat with other chiles.  I liked the original flavor much better. 

So, it wasn't a Fail, but not a Sail, maybe paddling the rowboat with one oar.  :lol:  again, I'd definitely look at some kind of a combo in another mix.   

Man do i love kimchi. Ive made it from just about any cabbage you can find including bok choy. Taiwanese cabbage makes a great yang baechu kimchi aka green cabbage kimchi. Baechu is nappa. Tong-baechu is whole nappa. Mak kimchi is easy kimchi (rough translation) where the nappa is chopped.

How about brussel sprout kimchi....IMO it takes longer to ferment
BrusselSproutKimchi_zpsokqyhhkb.jpg

The must try after you make your kimchi is kimch Jjigae aka kimchi stew or budae jjigae aka army base stew. This budae jjigae is with pork and fish balls but add whatever meat you like. That is why its called army base stew. The locals used whatever meat they could find during the war including spam
BudaeJjigae1_zpsvuios21h.jpg

How about some pork stir fry with kimchi and Korean green peppers
IMG_0520_zpsv3ururfy.jpg

My last batch was what i call summer kimchi. Its milder and has more green onion and ginger root. I also make a kimchi just for hot dogs. Its greatly simplified for the "non-adventurous" eaters. Its just a couple bags of Dole slaw mix, canning salt and Korean pepper flakes. So basically its a standard kraut recipe with a few tablespoons of Korean pepper flakes added. I also use some homemade kraut juice to kick start ferments. Ive used the Caldwell lacto starter cultures too but they are crazy expensive.

You must try a kimchi hotdog with 1000 island dressing on it. The sweet dressing balances the sour of the kimchi.

Ive also make kkaktugi aka radish kimchi. I used some kohlrabi in the last batch and it was fantastic..

This is my "hotdog kimchi". It is extremely mild and great for those that dont want the strong flavors of traditional kimchi.
Hotdogkimchi_zpskusfkqdh.jpg

1 14oz bag of Dole Classic Coleslaw mix
1 Tbs Korean pepper flakes
2 large garlic cloves
1/3 of a medium onion
1 tsp canning salt
1-2 tsp fish sauce
Enough water to puree the onion and garlic

Weep the slaw mix in the canning salt for 2 hours. Tossing every 30min. No need to rinse this one since we are using very little salt. Just let it drain a few minutes if it tastes too salty for you.

Puree the peeled garlic cloves, onion, fish sauce with a little water.

Mix the puree and pepper flakes with your coleslaw mix in a bowl and pack it tightly in a jar. Let it ferment until it smells sour.There will be some liquid left in the bowl. Use just enough to cover your kimchi.

I normally make mine in 3 bag batches because i love kimchi hotdogs. 3 bags also fills my hocking jar to the top. Lately ive been experimenting with lacto culture starters. Ive found you can jump start the fermentation to as little as one day.

Kimchi is really addictive especially if you like homemade sauerkraut. I don't vary on type of pepper though or at least i haven't yet. Sun dried Korean pepper flakes have a taste all their own. Aside from the pepper flakes i will ferment just about anything that might work. Kohlrabi was crazy good made into kimchi if you like ggaktugi (radish kimchi). The brussel sprouts were really good in soup. The real winner for non-traditional though was the Taiwanese cabbage.

They look similar to a green cabbage but flatter. Slightly sweeter and ferments quickly.

Excellent thread well worth a bump...I have a half gallon put up last week.

Will add a pic later...

Diacon
Garlic
Seasalt
Scallions
Napa cabbage
Fish sauce
Slivered thawed Reapers

Didn't have chili powders needed locally so used these in a pinch
Garlic chili paste
Chili paste

Did the Normal pre salting and rinse etc etc...then mixed in the paste and fermented 4 days on the counter, then into the fridge.

Sounds interesting but the flavor will be off. Nothing tastes like Korean gochugaru (coarse pepper flakes).

When/if you go shopping for Korean pepper flakes look for a picture of kimchi on the package. Also make sure they are coarse flakes. The fine powder is for making gochujang and quite often it is hotter. I use those flakes in tons of stuff. They are great in curry, chili and many Mexican dishes. I also use them in some hot sauces that need a little "umph" but not much.

Im almost out and its a great time of year to make more. The radish and nappa should be excellent this time of year. I like Korean moo better than Daikon but both work just fine. Kohlrabi is very good too.

Since my kimchi pail is low im going to try an experiment......Kimchi hot sauce. Ive seen one commercial brand already. Mine though is VERY well fermented and i have plenty of juice left this time.

Yes, flavor will be slightly off....this is actually a second batch. 1st batch was good enough to try it again and I had the ingredients leftover.

It's a 40 mile drive to the nearest Asian market so had to improvise with what I could find in this burger, pizza, mexican food dominant town.

Im lucky. Around here i have tons of Asian markets within a 20min drive. No less than 3 that specialize in Korean. My prices on gochu flakes is about 1/3 the prices im finding online. I can get a 2lb bag for around $8 and about $16 for 2lbs of higher end flakes. We have a local grower who sells top shelf sun dried Korean pepper flakes but they are expensive and large bulk bags only.

Ive been using Assi brand but after looking at the package i might be switching. They add a butt load of salt to them. Other than the added salt ive been super pleased with the flavor of the Assi flakes. Wang brand is cheap too but i haven't checked the label for salt. I used them before but never checked it. They were not quite the same brilliant red as the Assi brand.

Made a fresh batch using nappa 2 days ago.
homemade%20Kimchi_zpsq4au5xiy.jpg

Will take another pic in my fermenting container later. After 2 days it has already juiced like crazy and popped the plug on the inner lid. Its already is kinda sour and will probably be ready for the fridge tomorrow. I ran out of radish but picking some up soon to make Kkaktugi. My dad loves kimchi but goes crazy over my radish kimchi.

Looks good! I'll need to make some more kimchi soon, since I only have one jar left of the last batch. Aged 3 months in the fridge already, and tastes amazing. After eating at a local Korean spot that does this, I have been putting some kimchi in a separate bowl of water while I eat rice dishes, then fish out pieces of veggies as I eat. I drink the kimchi water afterwards, and it always hits the spot!

My last batch was about 3 months old and i really prefer my kimchi "ripe". The radish in that batch was amazing, super sour and crunchy even cooked in the stew. I put mine in the fridge once im sure the fermentation has a good start. Leave it for 2 weeks before i sample it. Usually in about a month its gotten pretty good but still not perfect for stew. Very good as a side dish though. At about 2 months old its getting ripe enough for a good stew and great in stirfry.

I put this together because ive been asked several times for my recipe and pointers. Its basically a cross of the Maangchi mak kimchi and her emergency kimchi. I often just skip making the "porridge" so its more like her emergency version.

This is basically the same as my homemade Kimchi. I use less salt and far less fish sauce. You can skip the fish sauce if you really want but you wont taste it in the finished product.

Use whatever kind of cabbage you like. I prefer a mix of green cabbage or Taiwaneese cabbage and nappa. Taiwaneese cabbage looks like green but it flatter.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yangbaechu-kimchi

Directions

1)Cut 2 pounds of cabbage into thin strips about 2-3 inches in length and ¼ inch wide. Place into a large bowl.

2)¼ cup kosher salt. Mix it well with your hands to properly salt the cabbage. (3-4 tbs is actually enough)

3)Set aside for 10 minutes. (I weep mine for 2 hours turning it every 30min)

4)Make kimchi paste by mixing these ingredients in a bowl:
⅓ cup hot pepper flakes, (You might need more if the paste is too thin)
1 tbs sugar,
¼ cup fish sauce, (only use 1-2tbs)
¼ cup minced garlic,
3-4 stalks of chopped green onion (⅓ cup worth),
¼ cup’s worth of julienned carrot
Optional...A knob of ginger peeled in with the onions and garlic is also really good. Careful not to use too much.

( I also use one smallish chopped yellow or white onion. Add that to a blender with the garlic and fish sauce. Add just enough water to blend it in a "smoothie")

(After you make your "smoothie" add the pepper flakes. You want it the consistency of a medium thick paste)

5)Wash and rinse the salted cabbage in cold water a couple of times. Drain the water. (BE SURE to RINSE the cabbage 3 times and drain well each time)

(Add your chopped green onion and carrot shreds to the rinsed salted cabbage)

6)Mix the kimchi paste into the cabbage thoroughly. (You may not need it all but it freezes well for later. I use enough to give everything a nice coating.)

7)Put the kimchi into a container, jar, or plastic bag. (If using a jar pack it down tight like sauerkraut. The less amount of air touching the cabbage the better.)

8)Press the top of the kimchi down with your hands to protect your kimchi from being exposed to too much air. ( I pack mine down in a 2qt wide mouth Mason jar with a smaller glass bottle)

9)You can eat it right away, just like salad. Or keep it at room temperature and it will ferment in a few days.

It takes about 2-3 days before it starts to sour. You are better off making sure is sour before putting it in the fridge. It takes longer in cooler rooms so store it in a warm spot such as on top of the fridge or in a cabinet.

After is smells sour put it in the fridge. Leave it alone for atleast a week. I let mine go 2 weeks before ever tasting it. Kimchi will continue to ferment in the fridge but it takes much longer. Old kimchi is the best for soups and kimchi lasts a very long time refrigerated. I just used up a batch that was at least 3 months old. Its was excellent.

I would strongly suggest getting a fermenting container from E-jen. These containers keep anything you want to lacto ferment pressed down. They come it lots of sizes and even available on Amazon.

http://crazykoreancooking.com/products/kimchi-fermenter

http://www.shoplivart.com/kitchenware-1/food-storage.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYza70q9ic

Day 3 and its sour for sure

This was one head of nappa around 2 lbs. My finger is pointing to how much it filled my $14 fermenter
P1020410_zpsaj5gbbf4.jpg

Lots of juice on top of the inner lid
P1020411_zpsowm9foqt.jpg

P1020412_zpsg5con6xh.jpg

Oh yeah its sour, i had to sample a tiny bit to be sure
P1020413_zpsrknjz7nq.jpg

P1020414_zpswudtsv9y.jpg

While i was checking my kimchi i had to check on my ruby kraut too. This is a combination of Dole slaw mix and some red cabbage i shredded. After 5 days its still not quite sour enough for the fridge. I even used a starter from a previous batch. It has a tiny bit of yeast beginning to form on top.
P1020408_zpsfcnvsfsm.jpg

P1020409_zpsxxehg6sc.jpg

First off I want to say how much I love and enjoy Kimchi.....   I recieved a jar of Kimchi as a gift for Christmas from the wifes co-worker, upon receiving the jar I was really excited but after opening all that joy went away and was replaced with the most putred smell I have ever encountered!  lol

This Kimchi was so strong I threw it in the trash, after an hour in the trash it permiated through the entire house!  So I placed the bag (sealed) in Trash and I generally keep in garage with the lid on, after walking back in garage hours later the entire garage smelled of this putred Kimchi.   I wheeled the can outside until trash day, lol. 

I dont know how or what my wifes coworker used to make the Kimchi but I hope they never give me another Jar! 

I'll just make my own from now on or nuy it from the local Korean grocery, lesson learned.    

Thank you for reading and maybe enjoying my story!  lol  I did send a return gift of some Plum Habanero Jelly in return, I dont have the heart to tell them just how bad it was. 

cheers!

Dang it, SMDS!  That stuff looks soooo good!  Like some I've made in the past, but I'm all out right now.  I love eating it while it's still pretty fresh, like even after a couple days.  Maangchi's videos really helped me get the hang of it, she's a hoot!  :lol: After the first batch of following her method, I didn't bother with the porridge either. 

Back