• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Kind of odd germination

Over the last 3 days I've had 35 seeds germinate. I have put 3-4 seeds in each cell and I'll cut down the weakest ones. I have planted 11 different types of peppers, and so far only the jalapeno's have germinated. 2 different types of jalapeno's from 2 different sources. The other peppers are:
7 pot chaguana
trinidad scorp
bhut jolokia
red devil tongue
red habs
cayenne
hot banana
sweet banana
bell
zapotec jalapeno
jalmundo jalapano

Just found it odd that all the jalapenos popped up first!

Jals always pop up first, Superhots take the longest(sometimes 2 weeks if its cool out), I've given up on some TS regs only to have them pop up with Basil and other plants after I recycled the soil.

How long did your jalapenos take? I grew some early jalapeno last year and can't remember : {

They came up in about 6 days. I had my bhut's pop up in 6-10 days last year but I always expect the supers to be up last. Just thought it was odd that the jalapenos and none of the others came up yet. The last few years the jalapenos seem to come up randomly with the others.

Another thing I found odd about jalapeños is how resilient mine was. Last season I got my bhuts, TS, banana peppers, and one jalapeño growing and ended up neglecting them due to lots of school work and crazy work schedule, but the jalapeño is in a 6" pot and got to about 2' tall, very sparse leaves, and ridiculously root bound. Then the entire thing turned brown and dried out and died... Or so I thought. This season it sprouted new leaves at it's base so I cut the dead stuff off, pruned roots and repotted in better soil an it seems to be growing fairly healthy. Dunno I that's all normal but I figured I'd mention it seeing as how we were talking about jalapeños haha.

Back